Tankbags?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Tankbags?

Post by deilenberger »

My 20 Liter RKA bag is starting to show it's age (has about 40,000 miles on it..) so I'm considering a new one. I like the RKA for a lot of reasons and dislike it for a few reasons.

• - Compartments - helps organize the stuff somewhat
  • - Useful map pocket - big enough to hold a two-fold section of map
  • - Easy to flip back on the seat when fueling up
  • - Rain cover kept it pretty dry - at least before it started shedding..
  • - Sidepockets - handy for Ibuprofen and other items I might need frequently.
  • - Didn't damage the paint on the bike.
  • - Has an electrical feed-through that's actually useful.
DISLIKES:
  • - Big. Holds too damn much stuff. I have stuff in there I've NEVER used. A bit smaller might force me to remove some unneeded dreck.
  • - Not waterproof. Has a separate rain cover, which is now shedding away, and I don't like the design changes they made to the new one (and when I talked to Kathy of Robert and Kathy Accessories at the RA at Barber about a simple change she pretty much told me to take a flying ####..)
  • - Sidepockets - love to hit the horn button when backing up and turning to get the bike in my garage. Despite it doing it almost every time, it still startles me.
  • - Not terribly secure. Mounted with two front mounts and one rear mount. The fronts go straight down to the tank mounting points, the rear down to the battery hold-down screw. With it snugged up I can move it around side to side about 3". It for some reason loves to list to the left. Dunno why. Just does.
  • - Not waterproof without a rain-cover. While the cover used to work, it always bellowed up in the wind at speed, requiring a separate strap around it and the tankbag to keep it from being dangerously annoying. The map pocket did attach to the top of the raincover AFTER I did a modification to the cover, but it certainly isn't waterproof, so maps tend to turn to mush in the rain.
  • - To keep from damaging the paint on the bike, I had to use some clear plastic on the tank where the straps pass. Not a big deal but would be nice not to have to.
  • - It's really pretty ugly, I'm a function over form kinda guy, but I cringe whenever I see a photo of my bike with it on..
SO - that's the likes, dislikes. I'm looking for what sort of tank bag YOU'RE using, and if possible how it might address these issues, and if you're really nice, a link to it and/or a photo of it on your bike.

What'cha got?
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
arp
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1124

Re: Tankbags?

Post by arp »

The OEM tank bag (p/n 71 60 7 695 236) has been on my camhead R1200R Classic for most of its 3.5 years and 36k mi.
- I think it looks OK.
- 13 litres expandable to 21 litres, though I've never used it at 21 litres.
- Easy on/off and secure. The front attachment is very simple and clever.
- It has a waterproof inner liner, the top of which you cinch up above the contents or roll up out of the way. I've always kept the top rolled up with no problems and I ride year round in the PNW.
- It consists of one big compartment, but you can get a Vario Insert that divides it up, for additional $.
- No side pockets but a useful aft pocket.
- No discernible damage to the the tank paint.
- No electrical feedthrough.
- I've managed to destroy a zipper pull and a buckle at the aft attachment (my fault). The later was easily replaced by an OEM spare part.
- The map pocket can hold an two-fold map or an iPad.
- It is about due for replacement (the rubber on the bottom is starting to wear through in spots around the edges where it contacts counter tops, picnic tables, rocks etc., but not the tank). I will replace it with the same.
- It has a nice discreet R1200R logo.
- It is expensive.
Last edited by arp on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
'17 R1200GSA, 3k mi
'14 R1200RT, 27k mi
'12 R1200R Classic, 42k mi (traded)
KMalo
Basic User

Post by KMalo »

I have two tankbags for my R12R.

I have an RKA that sounds just like your old one. I use it only when I'm traveling or I have a specific need for a large bag. I agree that it's probably tending to the "too big" end of the spectrum, but all those pockets and outside compartments are great when on the road.

The bag that lives on the bike is a small Cortech model similar to http://www.cortech.net/inc/sdetail/supe ... ag/181/572. Mine is several years old and looks clunky compared to this new sleek model. I might just have to get a new one :) It is small enough to not get in the way and looks good on the tank. OTOH, it is big enough to hold all of my everyday needs (camera, phone, wallet, glasses, spare gloves, etc.

BTW, one of the things I liked about the R12R was its steel tank. That allows me to use magnetic versions of tank bags. They don't move around at all and I don't have straps running all over the place. I have yet to scratch a tank with one, despite the dire warnings.

Best,

Chuck
Chuck DeSantis
11 R1200R
75 850 T3
73 Eldo Project
K75C <RIP>
K1100LT <Sold>
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

I still use the BMW Multivario tankbag originally sourced for my R1100RSL in 1997. Well shaped and reasonable size (read: big enough), quite stable, doesn't hit the horn button when the bars are turned, waterproof enough to use w/o the (clumsy) cover in all but gullywashers.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you Don. I'm now on my 3rd R1200R and was really hoping some magical tank bag solution had come along in my absence. I'm just not seeing anything out there that beats the OEM bag unfortunately (and I don't think it's without its faults). In its defense, it fits like a glove, has plenty of (expandable) storage, has a convenient pocket in the front for small items, a nice map holder, waterproof interior, easy mounting, and in my 60k plus miles on two bikes I never had scratching issues. Every other solution I've eyed just falls too short in one category or another. I've been riding long enough to know to stick with something that works when it works - and for me, the OEM tank bag gets the job done. I'll probably be ordering my third sometime this winter. Wunderlich bags were an "almost" buy for me but didn't cut the mustard. The only real competitor left is Kriega. I've been very happy with my other Kriega products and am still debating using their tank bag adapter- a pretty clean solution - which would allow me to use various sized dry bags as tank bags, depending on need. I've only recently started moving away from physical maps, which would make that a more plausible solution.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Thanks for all the input.. seems some smart company would make the perfect bag for us..

I had the OEM tankbag shortly after I got the bike. I didn't keep it for several reasons: that was before they had the divider for it available, so the inside ended up just being a big pile of stuff I had to paw through to find anything; the front fastening, while clever wasn't easy to remove, and that meant flipping the bag forward to fill up fuel. Since I had a GPS mounted in the BMW GPS mount - that didn't work out real well; and finally - the GPS wasn't visible with the tank bag in place. Seems the GPS mount people and the tank bag people hadn't talked or something.

The one bag I had that I liked was the last model of the R1150RS bag. It fit rather well to the curve of the tank, held enough stuff but not too much, and was a quality piece of goods (if not totally waterproof without the rain cover.) Maybe I can find a primo used one somewhere. I shouldn't have sold mine - but when I got the official BMW R1200R bag I thought I wouldn't want it. I was wrong. Anyone knows of one lying around, let me know..
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

I have over 100K with the R1200R BMW bag and basically like it. The mounting is a first rate piece of engineering (the bag designers must have actually talked to the people that designed the machine), and the bag itself has held up really well in spite of being exposed to some nasty conditions. I agree with Don it is a black hole and with the way the bottom is shaped (demanded by the shape of the tank) anything that gets down in the sides or back of the bag is virtually lost, until you shake the bag upside down and rediscover it. "Oh that's where that flashlight went".
My BIG complaint with the Beemer bag is the quality of the plastic used in the map section. By the third season it was severely yellowed and the fourth season it started to break up. I replaced it with a generic map envelope that worked out well and is more waterproof that the original. Shame on BMW for ruining an otherwise excellent $300 product by going cheap on a $4 piece of plastic.
I also have a RKA magnetic bag that is my go to bag for my other (Non-BMW) bikes and also a small mini Cortech magnetic bag. The magnetic bags work Ok as long as you don't over stuff them which distorts the bottom of the bag and lifts the magnets away from the tank.

And a good old Eclipse strap mounted bag. A like new first generation Eclipse bag that I use on my /5 if I'm going someplace where I want the old bike to be period correct. I traveled a lot of miles with similar Eclipse bags and (although outdated) it's the standard that I judge other bags against.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

One other thing that didn't thrill me with the BMW factory bag.. if you look at the pics of it on Alex's biek, it's really rather tall. Not a problem for you abnormally sized riders (over 5'8" - and I'm under that..) but for those of us who are more vertically compact actually trying to a map in the map pocket was a distraction.

I'm pretty convinced there is no perfect solution.. but I'm gonna do some searching for a used R1150RS one. Shouldn't have sold the one I had..
psycle.vt

Post by psycle.vt »

I'm using the SW-Motech Bags-Connection Quick-Lock Engage bag with the optional map holder. The bag is not waterproof and the cover needs a bit of extra sealing to perhaps be waterproof. I use it mostly to hold my 2L water bag plus a few small items in the side pockets. The map case required a bit of surgery (installed a bar in the end to keep it square rather than folded over the bag). You can get the Bags-Connection bags electrified with a wire to the gas opening mount. The bag easily disconnects and on my naked bike fits between the GPS and GoPro on the handlebar when filling the tank. It is from Twi$ted Throttle, so not cheap however. This one does not interfere with the switches on parking lot turns.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motec ... ing-system

The city bag might also work.
Cy
Cy Young/VT (now NH)
13 R1200R (BLUE - the latest PSYCLE)
betres
Basic User

Post by betres »

On my second Bagster and have had good luck with them. Pricey because of the need to buy a tank cover but the cover does what it is supposed to do very effectively so I consider the package to be well worth the money.
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

I'm with psycle this one. I have both the engage and the city bags they are quality stuff and I like that the tank ring keeps the bag off the tank. I thought it was a little close on the aft end so I put a tank pad on just in case.

I keep the engage on the bike most of the time for just day trippin and such but keep the city on hand for road trips.
Last edited by BigEasy on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

I've been looking at Givi bags a bit - they have a similar tank mounting to the gas filler - which costs about 1/5th the cost of the SW-Motech. Problem has been seeing one in person, there apparently is only one dealer in NJ who may carry them in stock, and it's a longish ride for mid-winter (especially with 1"-1' of snow predicted for the weekend..)

Anyone used the Givi bags? Wonder how the quality is.. they seem to be popular and a value leader (decent quality/low-price) for hard baggage.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Ended up ordering the Givi 15 Liter Tanklock Tankbag - XS307, and the mounting ring for the R1200R ($15.30).. Has sidepockets so some organization is possible.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-15- ... ck-tankbag

Should have it in a few days - will let'cha know how it works out. Nice part is - Twisted Throttle is very easy to deal with, returns (if I hate it) have never been a problem.
amr122
Lifer
Donating Member #: 824

Post by amr122 »

Does anyone know which flange (if any) will fit a 2007 R1200R? According to the GIvi fit sheet, the BF22 will fit the 2011-2014 R, but I don't see any Rs that are earlier years than that?

thanks,
adam
Adam
2007 R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Adam,

Should be the same flange for both. There is no discernable difference in the cap/mounting that I can see (and I owned an '07..) The one I ordered (and fitted) was a BF06. Be worth calling/emailing them to see if it's in stock or obtainable.

Here is a euro ebay listing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIVI-TANKLOCK ... 0486972953

A Google search for "TANKLOCK BF06 GIVI" turned up a bunch of places, most showing the photo of the generic ring that comes with the tankbags.. but it also turned up at twisted throttle - one remaining BF06:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-eas ... -r1200r-11

It took less then 5 minutes to install - super easy.
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

deilenberger wrote:Adam,

Should be the same flange for both. There is no discernable difference in the cap/mounting that I can see (and I owned an '07..) The one I ordered (and fitted) was a BF06. Be worth calling/emailing them to see if it's in stock or obtainable.

Here is a euro ebay listing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIVI-TANKLOCK ... 0486972953

A Google search for "TANKLOCK BF06 GIVI" turned up a bunch of places, most showing the photo of the generic ring that comes with the tankbags.. but it also turned up at twisted throttle - one remaining BF06:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-eas ... -r1200r-11

It took less then 5 minutes to install - super easy.
Any pics? I like the idea of these tanklock versions, but sometimes they look a little funky when mounted. There was one in particular that fit the shape of the R1200R tank quite well, but I believe they changed the mount slightly so now it doesn't fit as snugly. Might have been a Bags Connection bag. If I could find one that hugged the tank, I'd be all over it.

Edit: Yup, Bags Connection
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
amr122
Lifer
Donating Member #: 824

Post by amr122 »

I found out from Givi directly that the BF06 tank ring should fit the bike (any model) but it is being replaced by the BF22 (which will also fit).

adam
Adam
2007 R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

N8 - I'll have to take a few pics. It does stick above the tank a bit, but not enough to bother me, and the added stability over a strap mounted tank makes it worthwhile. I would have liked the BagsConnection one if the tank mount was priced so silly. The way Givi did it is really quite clever, and allows for fore-and-aft positioning of the bag on the tank.
beetee
Basic User

Post by beetee »

Don, Just curious how you like your new tank bag. I bought an 09 R12R this past summer and am looking for a tank bag. The one you bought looks like a good choice but I'd like your input .

Thanks, Bill
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Hey Bill,

I'm still adjusting to the difference in size - I had all sorts of never-used crappola in the old one. This one carries the necessities nicely. One modification I'll do to it (and apparently everyone else who bought one does) is snip off the front strap, meant to go around a steering-head (which we really don't have.) Other people have taken out the inner waterproof bag, I'll wait on doing that to decide if it's necessary or not. Haven't ridden with it in real rain yet. It looks much more waterproof then my old bag, but it does come with a rain-cover so I'm guessing there is a reason to include it.

I'm also going to make up a partition thingie like BMW sells for their bottomless pit tankbags. Mine will be quite a bit simpler. Found some corrugated plastic sheeting (was a file-box) that I'll use. Should be easy to cut up and make keyways and slots to put it together.

All in all - so far I like it. It would be nice if it was shaped more like the tank, but that would cause problems with the fore/aft adjustment so I guess it's what we're left with if we want a quick detachable tankbag.

HTH!