CPD (Compliments Per Day)

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

LeonardoNYC
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

CPD (Compliments Per Day)

Post by LeonardoNYC »

My disappointment in the '15 R12R kind of caused me to not be around here the last few months but that's another story for another day. Definitely missed the community here.

I think our bike (at least up till '14 model) must lead any similar bike in CPD-Compliments Per Day. I swear I get at least three and as high as 8 compliments every time I ride this bike. It can be from children as young as 4 and people as old as 80. There's something about this bike that makes normal people and seasoned motorcyclists alike stop what they are doing and just say, "Hey, Nice Bike!", or "What a great looking bike!" or something similar.

The '15's a good looking bike but in my opinion, it's not a good looking BMW Bike. I am not sure people are going to say that as much with '15's..does it matter? not really, but it is nice. Sorry if this is been brought up before but thought I'd chime in.

2009 White R1200R @ Jones Beach, NY
http://bit.ly/1Ikd5YH
peels
Basic User

Re: CPD (Compliments Per Day)

Post by peels »

Funny, I was thinking about that this morning.

i think its pretty. And blue with the gold shocks is just plain OUTSTANDING.

However...besides the price, there has been something bugging me...not good or bad its fantastic engineering..., not arguing that....couldnt put my finger on it.

something made it look non-bmw-ish

At first I thought it was JUST rake angle...but I looked it up and theyre only different from previous yrs by .6 degrees... So i finally figured it out. its the fork angle vs other angles in the front, no exhaust headers, beak, and telelever breaking up the dead space from tire to frame. AND the headlight angle vs the gauge cluster. how it the gauges jut out further.

Again, NONE of those do anything to take away from it being a great motorcycle that I dream about on the regular... I bet, if the front were slightly lower, and had a more traditional headlight, and gauges(and a beak lol) it would be fine.:)

2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

also, wouldnt mind hearing why you are disappointed...?

i cant find anything wrong, at least functionally, with the new bike. :)
LeonardoNYC
Basic User

Post by LeonardoNYC »

This thread was really meant for how many compliments I get on my bike and assuming most others are the same way.
Probably should have broken into two posts. The new R looks nice..to me it doesn't look like a what a BMW twin. ..it's hard to see the engine...I believe the tank is plastic right, looks very japanese , Italian but not BMW/German. I am 47 years old..could be...who knows? Had the 1999 R1100R and on my 2nd R12R. Maybe the new one will grow on me. :)
vroomr
Basic User

Post by vroomr »

I get endless compliments on my '07, so many that I have a ready response: "I knew you had good taste."

The current Transformer Optimus Prime spooky death's-head headlight is butt-ugly. Why not build in two red LED eyes and complete the look? I'm an adult, dammit.
Richard
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

I get compliments from kids (relative I guess since I'm nearing 70..) riding crotch rockets - THAT surprised me.

The oldsters, mature riders, children and even women weren't a big surprise, the original R1200R is a fine looking bike, it looks like a motorcycle, and specifically looks like a BMW motorcycle. The new one - may be a wonderful bike (according to Joe Finn it is - and I trust his judgment more then reviews in magazines) but it DOES look like a "Transformer" (my grand-nephew, 3 years old, is totally enamored of them at the moment. He does have good taste though, he loves my motorcycles too..)

I liked the original enough to buy another one when Cy Young's wife's became available with almost no miles on it, and for a price I could rationalize. Even if it is red, it's a damn good looking bike. And gets compliments. Frequently. Just like my '07 (for sale) does..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

I get no compliments. I get the occasional "no harley, huh?" :lol:

No really, I can count the compliments on one hand. and they are always want to talk alot. :) which I'm cool with.

there aren't many beemers around here.

And Im ok with that.

happy riding!
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

I've received a few complements, however, I've never really LOVED the look of my '11. When I went shopping and eventually purchased this bike I told myself no more "marrying for looks" find something comfortable, and did I. Completed my third SS1000 coming back from Billings, first one on this bike and for a change, felt very good when it was over. I too am dismayed and somewhat disappointed at the asian look of the newer bikes, I always believed that the europeans had much better taste and style.