32 mpg? SOLVED

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

peels
Basic User

Re: 32 mpg? :(

Post by peels »

Pjensen. I used to do every other tank 91, alternating 89. But, Since last summer, ive done 91 religiously. except for last tank, my station only had 87 ethanol. which oddly made the mpg better(but it was highway mostly)

planning a really good FI cleaning. and resync throttles, correctly setting the left side, that I found loose.

I got some advice early on, saying using 6th in low rpm is bad juju...maybe not so much.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

No bad juju. If using low grade fuel it could cause pinging which we all know is bad, especially in an Air Cool.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

Post by P_Jensen »

I find interesting that people calculate the mpg but do not go the next step and calculate the cost per mile = mpg/cost per gallon. In many newer cars/trucks/bikes they can use a lower grade/octane but at reduced performance and/or mpg, in many cases the better grade will not cost additional money due to the improvement in cost per mile. I had a BMW 318ti which got 32 mpg running 89 and 34 mpg running 91/93 the difference of 20 cents per gallon went away when calculating the cost per mile.
P Jensen
14 R1200R
Montego Blue
NW VT USA
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

P_Jensen wrote:I find interesting that people calculate the mpg but do not go the next step and calculate the cost per mile = mpg/cost per gallon. In many newer cars/trucks/bikes they can use a lower grade/octane but at reduced performance and/or mpg, in many cases the better grade will not cost additional money due to the improvement in cost per mile. I had a BMW 318ti which got 32 mpg running 89 and 34 mpg running 91/93 the difference of 20 cents per gallon went away when calculating the cost per mile.
no sir....I do this regularly, but Have noticed little difference on this beemer with low grade vs higher

On the other hand, towing the boat with my Wifes pathfinder, HUGE difference. 20 cent difference makes a 3-4mpg difference, on a long haul it just makes sense, plus its better/cooler for the engine with a heavy load.

it depends on the engine and use.

Here in our little Iowa town, we actually have no premium available. 87 or 89 ethanol. or 87 NON ethanol. The town I work in, I can get 91 across the street or 93 at the BP station downtown. I used that 93 ONLY in my yamaha FZ. It LOVED that stuff. you couldnt run low rpm without it. it would knock...and hesitate.... it was 11.5:1 compression.
Where the oilhead is 10.2:1 I thought...which doesn't require using HIGH octane in my mind. says 89 on the tank lid.

higher octane is a waste to me unless youre running hot compression. I know a fellow who would avgas 108 from the airport he works at. (like $8/gallon) to give his quad more power. it doesn't work like that. lol

maybe Ill try the 93? worth a shot too?
jasondo
Basic User

Post by jasondo »

Could you please be more specific on what fuse #5 is? Are you talking about the 10 little fuses in a row?
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

jasondo wrote:Could you please be more specific on what fuse #5 is? Are you talking about the 10 little fuses in a row?
"number 5 IS ALIVE"

jasondo
Basic User

Post by jasondo »

Great thanks for posting this pic. I reset motronic this morning and made a big difference. It was what I was missing after a valve adjustment and syncing.

Also on the topic of gas milage. Check out this website.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/bmw/r1150r/2004
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

jasondo wrote:Great thanks for posting this pic. I reset motronic this morning and made a big difference. It was what I was missing after a valve adjustment and syncing.

Also on the topic of gas milage. Check out this website.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/bmw/r1150r/2004
Oh thats cool!

Switched it to 2002 for mine.... Based on my riding style, I am definitely low.

Me, and the person on that list who gets 28 just need to go have a "sadnap"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roger 04 rt

Post by Roger 04 rt »

peels wrote:thanks swamper!

I feel like I've read that before, verbatim.... maybe advrider? Only I had no idea about what I was reading at the time lol Is it 10 minutes for fuse to be out, and this is the "reset" I did this once...BUT. i then had my battery out for a few days, and then did the TB sync after new batt in, knowing my own feeble mind, I am not totally convinced I did that "reset" again afterwards

Hey Peels, You did read it verbatim where I posted it on advrider, bmwsporttouring or Bmwmoa.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973191
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php ... 10-Minutes
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... ber=881698

Your problem is interesting, are you making headway? Do you still have the Dobeck connected that you mention in the other post?
RB
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

From the other side of the pond. Mine does 42mpg on a run. I never use mine just around town. Albeit we have bigger and better imperial gallons here. ;)
This equates to ~ 33.6 mpg (US). So you are in the right area definitely. :D
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Roger 04 rt wrote:
peels wrote:thanks swamper!

I feel like I've read that before, verbatim.... maybe advrider? Only I had no idea about what I was reading at the time lol Is it 10 minutes for fuse to be out, and this is the "reset" I did this once...BUT. i then had my battery out for a few days, and then did the TB sync after new batt in, knowing my own feeble mind, I am not totally convinced I did that "reset" again afterwards

Hey Peels, You did read it verbatim where I posted it on advrider, bmwsporttouring or Bmwmoa.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973191
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php ... 10-Minutes
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... ber=881698

Your problem is interesting, are you making headway? Do you still have the Dobeck connected that you mention in the other post?
RB
Yessir, I believe on advrider is where I saw it. It could have been any of them, Ive lurked before. But advrider seems to be google champion when I search. :)

Sorry,The dobeck I mention was not on the Beemer, it is stock. Dobeck was on Yamaha raptor 700 atv that I had modified. In that community, the dobeck is not considered "good" because folks are going for most hp there, I was in the minority.

As far as headway goes...not really done anything yet. This last weekend was boat maintenance with a side of slight liver abuse, didn't touch the bike, riding or otherwise :( . HOWEVER. I have changed riding styles slightly, IE shifting to 6th a LOT sooner. Then cruising to work at 70-75, rpm 3500-3700 or so. This tank, My light flickered at 107. And still wasn't on this morning at 119, yet...so maybe its getting better?

I did wonder, briefly, however "dumb" I hear this efi is... Does the motronic have learning curve time? Like, could it get better over time as it "learns", and change parameters? It appears to be going in the right direction.... Also, I have been riding in extreme changing conditions. 40° one morning 85° the next afternoon Midwest in spring, gotta love it.

I wouldn't cry anymore, if the mpg hovers in mid-high 30's for commuting. But think it should be better on the highway. 40+. I had a $hitty pontiac lemans with a 1.6 in it that got 40 on the same commute(albeit 20 years ago). and 42 highway. LOL
cgguy09
Basic User

Post by cgguy09 »

I'm glad I found this post...I noticed my MPG go to poo after I maintenance before this winter: I changed the spark plugs, switched to winter oil, greased the battery terminals. I also up'd my idle speed to 1.3k~1.4k that was a "pro-tip" from a old guy who lives around me & owns a couple Beemers. (I'm sure this will catch some flack , but it made the cold <32* mornings easier).

I thought it had to be the winter gas/higher rams/riding with heated gear/Maybe bad Sparkplugs that was zapping my MPG. Although when I changed my oil and set my idle speed back to 1.1k it didn't really make a difference. The Green light was coming on at ~100 on center stand & getting ~32 MPG. Now, after reading this I'm pretty my Motronic was all out of wack. I just filled up, so we'll find out!

But while I wait & put miles on the bike, if anyone else has any other ideas on why we're getting crappy gas mileage, please share!

Thanks for the thread guys!
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

YES! if anyone else has any other ideas on why we're getting crappy gas mileage, please share!

thanks cgguy!

Curious, do you run a screen on your bike?

well in my last post, I had thought it was going to be better, but I was incorrect. well. it is "better" but its still unacceptable, compared to other Oilhead reports.

I'm using 91 octane, non ethanol.

this tank seemed to be getting better, but I filled up yesterday. MPG 33.9. that is just not good enough for how I use it. Not even close! Especially since, I was riding with the goal of constantly aiming for MPG. running low rpm, short mega-smooth shifting, no excessive idling. Riding while "tucked" I am convinced it is NOT my riding style, now. It just cant be.... and struggling to reach 40mpg on the highway trip. Yes I went 80 but it was with a 20mph+ tailwind. lol and slowed on the return leg.

I plan on re-RE-RE syncing throttle bodies and cleaning the injectors this weekend. :lol: Hopefully, I don't get interrupted!
cgguy09
Basic User

Post by cgguy09 »

I was riding with a small windscreen up until recently. (Previously owner put it on, and I didn't like the look of it).

As for my riding style, I'm not gassing it every time. Keep it between 3k~4k RPMs but on occasion I take it higher. I try and take it to redline once a ride just to blow out the engine. (I've read that's a good thing to do, especially if you still have the Cat on your bike).

I haven't cleaned fuel injectors on the bike, but I do run Sea Foam with every other tank.

Best of Luck to both of us, Peels

Keep the rubber side down.

-cFogs
cgguy09
Basic User

Post by cgguy09 »

Oh yea, and I could be imagining it, but the bike feels like it pulls smoother after doing the fuse pull on the Motronic. So that gives me potentially (false) hope [-o<
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

cgguy09 wrote:Oh yea, and I could be imagining it, but the bike feels like it pulls smoother after doing the fuse pull on the Motronic. So that gives me potentially (false) hope [-o<
oh yes, def. need to do that too! AFTER the sync this time... lol
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Saturday. cleaned brass screws, they were dirty. Cleaned throttle bodies(as good as I could without disassembling). Removed injectors and cleaned, REALLY good. Resynched. I think cables still a little too slack though? Reset motronic.

We shall see if it gets better. It "felt" better. But it always does when you don't ride for a couple days lol.

Still open to anyone's thoughts on any possible causes of poor economy.... I am Semi obsessed at this point.

Theory: could I be having a dragging rear brake problem, like I suspected before, when I changed pads and cleaned everything? I have noticed that my rear wheel gets filthy rather quickly. Or is that just normal....?
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

The first time I became a member here in 2002, I remember a few threads about the poor mileage on rear brake pads .
Members were saying that they were worn out in 4-5,000 miles .
At the time, the general consensus was that they were riding the rear brake pedal .
How many miles do you get on rear pads .
With the bike on the center stand, if you can rotate the rear wheel easily, the brake isn't dragging .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

AZBMWRIDER wrote:The first time I became a member here in 2002, I remember a few threads about the poor mileage on rear brake pads .
Members were saying that they were worn out in 4-5,000 miles .
At the time, the general consensus was that they were riding the rear brake pedal .
How many miles do you get on rear pads .
With the bike on the center stand, if you can rotate the rear wheel easily, the brake isn't dragging .

Yeah it spins freely. the dirty back wheel made me think of this....

I do use it quite often though.
Roger 04 rt

Post by Roger 04 rt »

Last fall a guy on the Bmwmoa site had a dragging front brake that caused him a big loss of mileage.