The R1200R Photo Discussion Thread!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Re: The R1200R Photo Discussion Thread!

Post by angellr »

At the crossing of nowhere going somewhere.:D This pic was taken after a long 6 hour ride across the Oklahoma panhandle in one of the worst torrential storms I have experienced with lightening everywhere (and yes Virginia, there was no place to take shelter). This is truly where my statistical background saw me through. Minutes after this photo, found a self-serve car wash and sprayed several inches of mud off of her and headed for Pikes Peak.

-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

angellr wrote:This is truly where my statistical background saw me through.

That's a brilliant way to describe you experience! Good to see you out and a bout'.

Awesome.
Get Lost!
stephenmarklay
Basic User

Post by stephenmarklay »

Lost Rider wrote:Knowledgeable, I'm not so sure. Opinionated for sure. ;)
Most of my riding experience is on BMW's though, I've not rode a Guzzi let alone a well setup one - 12R, F800R, F800GS, G650GS and the nineT. Our dirt bike don't count in this context of handling talk. Bikes I had when much younger don't count either, I don't remember specifics enough. lol

I guess the easy way to put it would be it's all the good things about the R12R (boxer, shaft drive, trans, etc) with a much more sporty feel when pushing it. The forward leaning position is a more aggressive stance and perfectly fitting in the twisties. It feels 75 pounds lighter too, even though it's not.
I will have no issues doing exactly what I did on the 12R with this bike, though undoubtable I won't be quite as comfortable.
Comfort is over rated though when it comes to riding one of these instead of my 12R. :mrgreen:

I have more rides planned, once I get back I'll have a thread in the nine section with comparison thoughts (and what can be moved over to a nine from a 12R) , hopefully the (3 I think) other forum members will join in with their thoughts.

I am in lust with the RnineT. I could do one next year and maybe I will. The F800GS and the R12R are great great bikes and I would be dumb to make a move from that but I never said I was smart.
2007 R1200R
2014 F800GS
2011 TW200
angellr

Post by angellr »

Lost Rider wrote:
angellr wrote:This is truly where my statistical background saw me through.

That's a brilliant way to describe you experience! Good to see you out and a bout'.

Awesome.
Did 5k+ in 7 days, out and about indeed!! :D No garage queen here, LOL! BTW, preferred the h*ll raiser (NC 28) in western NC & NC 421 outside Boone NC over the dragon. TN/NC are two of the best riding spots so far on the planet IMNSHO. Pikes Peak was interesting, but way TOO many cars/RVs/people for me to enjoy the ride to the top.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
easygojoe
Basic User

Post by easygojoe »

Hi everyone. New BMW owner. First time.

We just picked up this 07 Roadster with 18k miles for a very reasonable price. It's my first ever road bike. We're getting to the age of empty nest, and thought it would be cool to just load up on a fine piece of machinery and roll to the coast (120 miles) or over to Crater lake or something.

So, I have a lot to learn about these here wonderful pieces of machinery. I came from a dual sport motorcyle, and this is like night and day. Just unbelievable. We rode to the coast and back yesterday, and then went up to the river and slept in some hammocks and chilled today. It was wonderful. My wife loves the togetherness thing, and I love the power and fun!!
eperker
Basic User

Post by eperker »

A few weeks ago, I did a 2700-mile 9-day trip from LA to Portland and back. Just amazing. I didn't want to bring a computer and deal with digital photos so I shot Portra 400 in my old Canon. He were are at the entrance to the Avenue of the Giants.

______
2007 R1200R
angellr

Post by angellr »

The Dragon ....

-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
rickg
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by rickg »

Here are a few pics of my '11 R bike during my first year of ownership.

Here she is being delivered to me.

On one of my first rides:

On my first weekend trip to Galeton, PA for an ADVrider BYOB event. This is at "The Rocks" on PA 144.

Same weekend at the dam ruins in Austin PA:

Up in New Hampshire at the top of Mt. Washington:

So far it has been a great first year of ownership and looking forward to many more.

Rick G
2011 BMW R1200R - My Redhead with Big Juggs!
2009 Vespa GTS 250ie Super - Just for Kicks and Giggles.
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

Hey Rick, I think I saw you at BYOB...I have the same bike but was riding a KLR that weekend...for the dirt :-)

2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
rickg
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by rickg »

Catchina wrote:Hey Rick, I think I saw you at BYOB...I have the same bike but was riding a KLR that weekend...for the dirt :-)

Yep, that is my Red Head! Sorry, I don't remember but I do hope I was nice to you. LOL

Rick G
2011 BMW R1200R - My Redhead with Big Juggs!
2009 Vespa GTS 250ie Super - Just for Kicks and Giggles.
R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Post by R12RnHouston »

easygojoe wrote:Image ;)

Hi everyone. New BMW owner. First time.

We just picked up this 07 Roadster with 18k miles for a very reasonable price. It's my first ever road bike. We're getting to the age of empty nest, and thought it would be cool to just load up on a fine piece of machinery and roll to the coast (120 miles) or over to Crater lake or something.

So, I have a lot to learn about these here wonderful pieces of machinery. I came from a dual sport motorcyle, and this is like night and day. Just unbelievable. We rode to the coast and back yesterday, and then went up to the river and slept in some hammocks and chilled today. It was wonderful. My wife loves the togetherness thing, and I love the power and fun!!
Congrats Guys! Best color too ;)
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Post by R12RnHouston »

angellr wrote:At the crossing of nowhere going somewhere.:D This pic was taken after a long 6 hour ride across the Oklahoma panhandle in one of the worst torrential storms I have experienced with lightening everywhere (and yes Virginia, there was no place to take shelter). This is truly where my statistical background saw me through. Minutes after this photo, found a self-serve car wash and sprayed several inches of mud off of her and headed for Pikes Peak.

Great picture Bob! Looks tough packed up for weeks on the road. =D>
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
angellr

Post by angellr »

Those are the Kriegas ... decided on this bike that I would not go with hard cases. They worked well and kept everything DRY during the incredible rain storm I rode through for hours.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
phubai
Basic User

Post by phubai »

mcmonkey mcbean wrote:I need to post something ...so this is a photo of my bike parked up at a outlook about 20mins from my home Queenstown in New Zealand, its the road to Glenorchy a very small township at the head of the lake....a film was made there recently called "Top of the Lake" for a TV series supposedly filmed for american tv, director and writer was Jane Campion. It was odd as Jane Campion does, but I liked it...it was very as the say here "Kiwi".
Anyways I hope the photo post here.
Beautiful Erin, thanks for sharing!

2bob
bruceflinch
Basic User

Post by bruceflinch »

Hello, New Member & New BMW Owner. Ok, it's a 2008 w/ 30K miles. I'm just back into motorcycles after a 29 year hiatus.

This is a Pic I took a few weeks ago at the Briones Reservoir in Contra Costa County in Northern California. I was about 30 miles from home. Short ride on a nice day. :D

angellr

Post by angellr »

bruceflinch wrote:Hello, New Member & New BMW Owner. Ok, it's a 2008 w/ 30K miles. I'm just back into motorcycles after a 29 year hiatus.

This is a Pic I took a few weeks ago at the Briones Reservoir in Contra Costa County in Northern California. I was about 30 miles from home. Short ride on a nice day. :D

Welcome to the board! Nice ride.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
bruceflinch
Basic User

Post by bruceflinch »

^ Thank You Bob!
Here I thought I was the only one riding a White Roadster.. :lol:
Maybe the only one in Nor-Cal? When Lane-sharing, I put on the flashers & the cars give me a wide berth, seeing the big white gas tank. It might resemble a CHP bike... :)
Love the other colors I see here too, especially the Red. =D>
I'm close to having 1000 mi on it now & starting to feel a bit more comfortable about riding again.
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

Welcome!
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
angellr

Post by angellr »

bruceflinch wrote:^ Thank You Bob!
Here I thought I was the only one riding a White Roadster.. :lol:
Maybe the only one in Nor-Cal? When Lane-sharing, I put on the flashers & the cars give me a wide berth, seeing the big white gas tank. It might resemble a CHP bike... :)
Love the other colors I see here too, especially the Red. =D>
I'm close to having 1000 mi on it now & starting to feel a bit more comfortable about riding again.
Next time I am in Cali, I will have to try the flasher trick ... wish I could lane split where I live ... put on another 1000+ miles this weekend, you will feel better about yourself! :lol:
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

I love winter!

In Baja. :D

Here's a few photo from a recent trip on the trusty Lost R1200's.

Get Lost!