2005 r1150rt-p oil cooler relocation

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Lucian_rider
Basic User

2005 r1150rt-p oil cooler relocation

Post by Lucian_rider »

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a week or so but I have a question about the model bike in the subject.
I am hoping to purchase a non running police bike that has been collecting dust for at least 5 years. Apparently it has no spark so there is work to be done if I get it.
A bit of a long story and if I get the bike I will provide more info.

One thing that really bugs me about the bike is the ugly oil cooler and fan assembly which is attached to the right hand crash bar. These seem to be pretty flimsy and I would like to get rid of the bars along with the two sirens that are on the opposite.

I've been searching via google high and low for relocation kits or brackets that would move or just secure the stock oil cooler without the bars. Does anyone know if such a thing exists??

I live in St. Lucia, West Indies and this is the only boxer BMW in the entire island so there is no-one that knows anything about this bike. I'm pretty competent as a mechanic and with electrics so I am not worried about fixing it. It only has 9,800 KM on the clock!!
peels
Basic User

Re: 2005 r1150rt-p oil cooler relocation

Post by peels »

cant REALLY help you with your question, except ive heard of people NOT using the fans, since they're really for long term idling/slow moving.

...but...

riding around St Lucia on an RT.....?

sounds positively terrible... =D> :lol:
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Lucian_rider
Basic User

Post by Lucian_rider »

Thanks Peels, now that you mention removing the fan, I think that would be the first thing I would do because I certainly don't intend to be sitting or crawling along at idle for any extended period of time regardless of whatever type of bike I might have!!

I see what you did there with the sarcasm!! LOL!

Riding here is pretty nice but we don't have very many highways apart from the road that goes around the island on both coasts which you can do in about 3 hours riding with little regard for life and limb!!

I see you are from Iowa/Nebraska area, I have a son that lives in Omaha, last year I spent two weeks riding his Honda CB900F all around Omaha, my first time riding outside of St. Lucia!! Talk about an eye opening experience!! I hadn't ridden a bike in about 10 years and never a street bike that size. I was mainly into motocross and dual purpose as those bikes better suit the roads here...
Riding on the interstates at 80 mph (75 mph speed limit) was mind numbing!! It was both exhilarating and terrifying at the same time!! And being on a naked bike was a chore!!
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

It sounds like a supplementary cooler/fan arrangement to keep the bike from overheating while it's sat idling to me.

The original cooler is very likely still in place.

Any pics?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Lucian_rider wrote:Thanks Peels, now that you mention removing the fan, I think that would be the first thing I would do because I certainly don't intend to be sitting or crawling along at idle for any extended period of time regardless of whatever type of bike I might have!!

I see what you did there with the sarcasm!! LOL!

Riding here is pretty nice but we don't have very many highways apart from the road that goes around the island on both coasts which you can do in about 3 hours riding with little regard for life and limb!!

I see you are from Iowa/Nebraska area, I have a son that lives in Omaha, last year I spent two weeks riding his Honda CB900F all around Omaha, my first time riding outside of St. Lucia!! Talk about an eye opening experience!! I hadn't ridden a bike in about 10 years and never a street bike that size. I was mainly into motocross and dual purpose as those bikes better suit the roads here...
Riding on the interstates at 80 mph (75 mph speed limit) was mind numbing!! It was both exhilarating and terrifying at the same time!! And being on a naked bike was a chore!!

Oh yeah, I'm sure its majorly different!! 80 on a naked bike is how I ride daily. helmet leather jacket and earplugs. 90 is no problem. The tall 6th gear on my 1150R begs for it. Wind is perfect, 100 is doable, straight country road, and no traffic(and not during deer season) :)

compared with a dual purpose, the 1150 rtp is a BUS LOL. they are built to sit...then chase...then sit. repeat. not really an air cooled boxer motors cup o' tea, thus the added cooling.

I'M about 4hrs SE of Omaha, in the very SE corner of IA. we used to go up there to the zoo regularly. I like it there, and used to go the atv park right down the street.
Keppelj
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Keppelj »

Lucian, I have to jump in here for reasons not especially motorcycle. I grew up on Antigua, to the north of you and Leeward if I remember right, and about half St Lucia's size. I was back there a couple of times in the 90's and drove the roads by rental car, left hand side and quite bad roads. There, a small dual-sport would be best dealing with bumps, gritty road surfaces, tight corners. I didn't find a topo map of St Lucia, but the way it's divided into parishes (Antigua), like a pie portioned from the center, makes me think it's mountainous. So lots of winding hillside roads. How are they maintained? How is the BMW for that?

Actually, - and I'm just guessing - if the typography is hilly it may be one of those island without lots of beaches (and reefs) and the riding may be fairly slow which may make sense of the fan addition. Seems Antigua was always in the 80's.
Lucian_rider
Basic User

Post by Lucian_rider »

Thanks for the replies so far.

I just got notice that the bike will be mine. It went up for Tender by the police and I just got the call that they accepted my tender of $2,890.00 US or the equivalent in EC dollars.

I wasn't really sure what to offer but as there was already some interest in the bike I had to try and be the high bidder. There is around 45% import duty on bikes here in St. Lucia so bike prices are much higher than in the US.

This bike along with some F650's were donated the St. Lucia Police Force and the boxer broke down after only 9,800 KM whilst the smaller F650's kept running for far longer. So condition wise the RT is in much better condition than the others, all of which were up for tender.

So I have to pay the Treasury department, get a form from them. Take it the Ministry of Finance and they will give me a letter for the Police department to release the bike to me!

Once I have it home and cleaned up, I will post photos. This model RT has no fairing and is naked apart from a small Lexan fly screen around the headlight and instruments. Its missing the saddle bags but has the single seat with small rear box.

This will be my first bike in about 14 years so I am feeling like a kid in a candy store at the moment!! =P~
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Is it one of these??

If it's like the bike at the front of that group, it's an R1100R (not an RT), and there'd be one oil-cooler on either side of the bike, that's how they were designed.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Lucian_rider
Basic User

Post by Lucian_rider »

Damn that is the exact same bike!! Where the hell did you find that picture??

Here is the VIN#: WB10428A95ZF08578
The way I interpreted it is that it is a 2005 model R1150RT-P.
Maybe you can enlighten me!!
As far as I can tell it only has one oil cooler and it is on the right side. I will put up some pictures but they are not very good as there was not much room on either side of the bike for good shots...
Lucian_rider
Basic User

Post by Lucian_rider »

Here are some pictures in all of its dusty glory!!

Hopefully we can put the identification to rest! I would love to have it confirmed as to what type of bike it is...
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Lucian_rider wrote:Damn that is the exact same bike!! Where the hell did you find that picture??

Here is the VIN#: WB10428A95ZF08578
The way I interpreted it is that it is a 2005 model R1150RT-P.
Maybe you can enlighten me!!
As far as I can tell it only has one oil cooler and it is on the right side. I will put up some pictures but they are not very good as there was not much room on either side of the bike for good shots...
I googled "St Lucia police bikes" ! :)

It still looks to me like an R1100R. But with the RT-P pillion box.
It's a single sparker too.

The standard R1100R has 2 oil coolers - one each side. On 'your' bike they've obviously removed one to fit the sirens which is probably why they've fitted the fan - to help that single oil-cooler do the job that was previously done by 2.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

cool! I've never seen an 1100R police bike like that without the 500lbs of fairing like that of the RT-P.
Lucian_rider
Basic User

Post by Lucian_rider »

Well we were all wrong!! It turns out that it is an R850R made in December of 04!!
I'm a bit disappointed but have gone ahead with the purchase and will hopefully collect it tomorrow...

Thanks for everyone's help!
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Lucian_rider wrote:Well we were all wrong!! It turns out that it is an R850R made in December of 04!!
I'm a bit disappointed but have gone ahead with the purchase and will hopefully collect it tomorrow...

Thanks for everyone's help!

Ah - yeah -the R850R is the same bike as the R1100R but with a smaller capacity (not sure how it's achieved- sleeved cylinder and smaller diameter pistons I think). Still a good bike though!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Keppelj
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Keppelj »

I've ridden an 850. Sweet running motor, I thought. Smoother, less vibes.
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

Post by P_Jensen »

That looks like BMW used parts from several models, the tank looks R1100R/R850R (first gereration oilhead, pre oil coolers on the tank), the instrument cluster, engine, wheels, and final drive look like there from the R1150R/R850R series (second gereration oilhead), and the rear subframe and front telelever from a RT-P. There was a R850R and R850GS available outside of the US from the second generation of the oilheads. I would try and identify what models the various parts came from, it will make it much easier when ordering parts for repairs.
P Jensen
14 R1200R
Montego Blue
NW VT USA
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

unsure of if this is will help, but a good read all the same.

http://www.zx11.nl/r850r/diary.htm