New to me R1200R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

R0B
Basic User

New to me R1200R

Post by R0B »

Hi everyone.

I've been looking for a replacement BMW for a while and found a lovely 10,000 mile 2006 at a dealer last week. It has ABS and heated grips. I am collecting it next week. I intend doing a full service on the bike as soon as I get it, as it hasn't done any real mileage in the past couple of years. I intend fitting some auxilliary lights, engine bars and maybe even a sargent seat (if I can find a used one). Is there any area the bike that I need to pay particular attention to in the service?. I will be replacing all the fluids (as I'm aware this is good for the ABS) and using iridium spark plugs.

I already have a set of Givi V35 pannier for my XJR1300, and I noticed they do a rack set for the r1200r. Do these comfortably clear the pillion footrests? (on the XJR they dont).

Oh............I've been offered a later set of spoked wheels for the bike........I understand that these will drop straight in.............is this correct?.

Thanks

Rob
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Re: New to me R1200R

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

What kind of dealer would you be buying from that doesn't do a full service to the bike before they sell it? You might check with them so as not to duplicate their work. Do change the rear end fluid with the correct stuff.

Don't know about the spoked wheels, but (again) why would you want them?

You might check twisted throttle.com about the Givi question. They sell that stuff and are good people.

PS: Welcome to the club :D
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

What wheels will drop straight in ?????
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
kbnesbitt
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by kbnesbitt »

Congrats on the new to you R1200R. I bought my R with a pair of V35 bags already installed. Although I didn't put them on, the Givi mounts seem to do a very good job of holding it all together.

And yes, the bags do clear the pillion pegs. I have never carried a passenger, so I can't comment on legroom.
Ken Nesbitt

2007 R1200R
1973 Honda CB350 (long term project)
R0B
Basic User

Post by R0B »

The dealer that I bought the bike from is a Honda dealer and wasn't interested in servicing the bike (the price was right). To be honest I prefer to do my own servicing, as I know what has been done...........and it saves money. I have bought a copy of the haynes manual for the bike. I understand that the rear diff fluid capacity has changed. Is there anywhere I can get up to date service specs?.

I liked the look of the classic, which is why I was thinking about spokes...........they have been sold now, so no worries there.

Thanks for the info on the givi panniers. I'll get some pannier rails ordered.

Thanks

Rob
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

Rear drive capacity is 180cc. I'm using Mobil1 85W-90 (I think). Opinions vary, but I change every other oil service, i.e.10,000 miles.

You're gonna like this bike. Very easy to work on, and the 1200 motor holds valve adjustments very well. Just change fluids and tires and ride the thing :D
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

No doubt the R12R is an easy bike to maintain. I just did a service on mine that included: replace ignition switch, oil, filter, transmission oil, final drive oil, spline lube, valve check (no adjustment needed), throttle body synch (minor adjustment), disassemble and clean rear caliper, check for codes and reset service data with a GS911 and detailed cleaning while I had it on the lift. That took me about 4 hours and a good part of that time was taken by the ingnition switch replacement.

I'm in the middle of a major service on my FJR. It took me over 4 hours to get the valve cover off (admitedly my first time on this bike).
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Scota
Basic User

Post by Scota »

@ROB: have you already collected it?
R0B
Basic User

Post by R0B »

Supposed to be collecting later today (thursday ).
Thanks for all the info.

Rob
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Rob - this bike isn't a US bike? In the US the R1200R started with the 2007 model year. Mine was one of the first - November 2006 manufacture. I bought it in March 2007.

BTW - if it is in the US - check with Motorrad US if all the recalls have been performed on it. They can look it up by the VIN#.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Enter the last 7 digits/numerals of the bike's VIN in http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html and the page will return information about the bike's build date, original market, and factory-installed equipment.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL