Looking at buying this on Friday

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr. Anaconda
Basic User

Looking at buying this on Friday

Post by Mr. Anaconda »

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/mcy/4646309137.html

I'm a beginning rider and this would be my first bike.

Feedback, thoughts and advice welcome

Aloha
snave
Basic User

Re: Looking at buying this on Friday

Post by snave »

Looks like a good deal. Its a great bike, but I started out with a much smaller one. The rider course I took was on a 250cc Honda.
Good luck,
Snave
Mr. Anaconda
Basic User

Post by Mr. Anaconda »

I've ridden dirt bikes a few times growing up. As an adult, I've ridden an Enduro on the streets around Honolulu.

I drive an 8 cylinder SUV and recently moved Jiu-jitsu schools to the North Shore of Oahu and gas is killing me: it's 25 miles there and 25 miles back.

So its either a motorcycle or a 2nd hand beater truck to get me to and from Jiu-jitsu class 2-3 times/week
Keppelj
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Keppelj »

Mr Anaconda, you don't tell us much about yourself though you do sound up for it! My reservation also would only be about its size and weight for a first ride. Will you need to take a rider's test on it? I definitely did that on a smaller, lighter bike.
Mr. Anaconda
Basic User

Post by Mr. Anaconda »

I live in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. My house is in Aiea Heights - which is in the hills above Pearl Harbor and Aloha Stadium (where the NFL Pro Bowl is played)

I'm 6'0 tall, weigh 165 lbs. and in my late 40's so I train Brazilian Jiu-jitsu to stay in shape and stay young.

Yes, I would have to take a Rider's test to get a Motorcycle license. I work in Financial Services so I could get insurance through my company.

I'm a noob and don't know much about bikes - so I'm taking a couple of Sheriff friends of mine who are in a Harley club to look at the bike and test ride it for me.

I really just need something to get me to Oahu's North Shore where my new Jiu-jitsu school is located 25 miles away. Gas is expensive here in Hawaii
and it turns out that the drive is more expensive than the class tuition. I may take the bike to the office occasionally (which is located in town towards Waikiki - about a 25 minute drive without traffic). Did I mention that Oahu has the worst traffic in the nation? So I'm looking for something affordable, dependable and something I can leave at Ala Moana shopping center during work and not have to worry about someone stealing it (I have a drummer friend that had his Harley carried into a cargo truck to get stolen from Ala Moana)
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

Nice-I have an 02 as we'll. However, I had 15 years of dirt riding experience and bought an older Yamaha 500 to get my road legs for the first 6 months or so and take my first safety course. It was great to have that initial seat time in a bike that if I dumped due to inexperience didn't really matter. Of course, the whole time I was looking at oil heads everyday waiting until I had 6 months (a number I made up in my head) of true road experience. The patience gave me some experience and i really learned a lot about the BMW brand during that time.

Course, it's a nice bike-can't fault you for going for it-enjoy, ride safe!
martinjmpr
Basic User

Post by martinjmpr »

If you want it, get it but I would never advise a new rider to start out on a bike that weighs over 500 lbs and can hit triple digits with ease.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Lots of people will say "My first bike was a Hayabusa/ZX-14/Electra Glide/Gold Wing/R1200GS etc etc etc and I turned out just fine." :roll: Remember that just because you CAN do something doesn't make it a good idea. ;)

My advice for any new rider is to repeat this mantra:

Small
Cheap
Used

$3700 is actually a pretty good price for an '02 with 30k on it. I paid $3600 for an '02 with 52k and I think I got a pretty good deal (it helped that I was buying a bike in December in CO.)

Chances are very good that you will drop this bike at least a few times while learning to ride it. At 526lbs dry weight (last time I checked) once this bike starts going over, it's going to hit hard and in case you haven't priced BMW repair parts, they ain't cheap.

Find yourself an old KawaHondaYamaZuki in the <650cc displacement range (and excluding supersport 600s) for about $1500 and ride that for a year or two. If you don't bang it up too badly you'll be able to sell it for nearly what you paid. Then get your nice bike.

Some nice sporty starter bikes include the Kawasaki Ninja 500, Suzuki GS500E, Ninja 250, Suzuki TU250, and even the little Kawasaki Eliminator 125. I'm not crazy about the Nighthawk 250 because of its drum front brake but as long as you didn't make a lot of panic stops you should be OK with that one.

Another recommendation would be a dual sport like the Kawasaki KLR or Suzuki DR series. If your legs are long enough they can be great starter bikes and since they're dirt bikes, they're pretty much designed to fall over without sustaining expensive damage. They're cheap to buy and cheap to ride. Riding in the dirt will also give you skills that will make you a better street rider.

Since you asked for our advice I'll give mine: Pass on this one, nice as it is. There's always another deal out there.
Martin AKA Zapp Branigan (on ADV)
Littleton, CO
2002 R1150R, 2002 Triumph Bonneville 790
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

riding an 1150r around Hawaii.....

BUMMER. life sucks. =D>

hee hee

Many will say not to start on such a big bike, and I tend to agree, a smaller bike to start is better. BUUUT I dont think its the end all. -My first motorycle was my dad's 79 Suzuki GS1000. fast as all hell, and heavy like a tractor(I dropped it once OMG hernia) GREAT motorcycle. Scared myself a few times, that's all it took. If/when I get the time, I'm going to restore one. But...my dad took the time to teach me so I had a head start.... after that I went to much smaller bikes. that experience, however dangerous at the time, I feel has made me a more focused rider. BUt I wouldnt suggest one do this without some guidance.

the 1150R is a pretty easy machine to get used to, it's very forgiving. But, can give a false sense of confidence in a corner. If you want the bike, get it... but be mindful, and somewhat fearful of the reality.

Just remember, don't get in a hurry to be fast. Always Respect whatever death machine you are riding, and never approach any object faster than you want to hit it. :D

I like martinjmpr's idea "cheap small used"

if youre "shopping" the suzuki gs500 is a wonderful streetbike to begin on. and can be had for very little $.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Try a Motorcycle Safety foundation (MSF) class. In most states they are a substitute for the DMV testing, and are well worth it.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

You're getting good advice here and they're just concerned about your safety. That being said.......I was off my '04 R for 3 years due to an illness that paralyzed me from the neck down. Spent near a yr hospitalized. I was extremely weak when I first got back on mine and I dropped it a few times, but I got stronger and better. I expect given some time you'll get your motorcycle legs under you. It's a great bike and definitely a keeper. Just be careful and wear all the right protective gear. I have a friend who just moved to Oahu--Art Perkins--he is the new pastor at the Honolulu Church of the Nazarene. He rides a Harley (I give him a hard time 'bout his bike). Good luck!

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Mr. Anaconda
Basic User

Post by Mr. Anaconda »

Thanks for all the great advice guys. . . I really appreciate it!

I also inquired about another bike. . . don't know if it's much lighter but its definitely cheaper
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/mcy/4635555176.html

My Harley riding sheriff friends who are coming with me to check out all the bikes think I should get the Yamaha one because maintenance and parts would be cheaper than the BMW.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Mr. Anaconda wrote:Thanks for all the great advice guys. . . I really appreciate it!

I also inquired about another bike. . . don't know if it's much lighter but its definitely cheaper
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/mcy/4635555176.html

My Harley riding sheriff friends who are coming with me to check out all the bikes think I should get the Yamaha one because maintenance and parts would be cheaper than the BMW.

metric cruiser is not a bad bike to learn on. not comfortable for long periods, though. I had a yamaha vstar. easy to ride, low to the ground.... but im 6ft and my legs and hips would cramp. LOL

your friends are correct on maintenance and parts costs.

But if theyre "harley guys" then they might just assume that bmw is just expensive garbage and steer you away.. Which always makes me giggle. Does no one look at the prices of harleys? STILL explaining to coworkers I only paid 4k for mine, when they say things like "jeez moneybags, must be nice" or "how do you afford a BMW?" lol I always respond, "nope, its not harley money" Seems folks equate them with the cars, as being upscale, which isn't totally true.

If IM being rational, the Yamaha is the clear winner, BUT...if IM being honest....I say buy the BMW. just because. no reasoning. I'm just daydreaming of riding mine around the Hawaiian islands as I type this. Motorcycles are dangerous, regardless, of brand. knowing the beast you are riding is the key. The BMW is not a speed machine. Iv'e ridden WAY faster bikes with less personal experience. Just don't ride past your skills. :) I was once handed the keys to a CBR1000rr with race built high compression engine... 220hp. That bike was well past my particular skillset. 3rd gear doing a wheelie at 90. I gave the keys back to him and said "never let me ride that again"

sounds like you have some friends that can help you CORRECTLY get experience, and you are an even keel sorta person. so I think you'll be fine with either. really. Have a seat on both, see which feels more comfortable. thats important when riding.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Mr. Anaconda
Basic User

Post by Mr. Anaconda »

Thanks again for all the great advice. . .

Unfortunately, the Yamaha guy isn't replying to any emails and he doesn't have a phone contact in his Craigslist ad.

I've been shooting texts back and forth with the BMW owner and I'm supposed to meet him this weekend when I can get my sheriff buddies to come with.

Will keep you posted - Aloha
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Post by sstein »

I say go for BMV (maybe a biased opinion). Then park it and take a safety class on a class-supplied smaller bike. Then back to the r. It is such a fun bike. My first bike was a 1980 Honda cb900 custom. Heavy. Dropped it a few times coming to a stop. You'll probably drop the r a few times too, but at least it comes with cylinder cover protectors :D . The cylinder covers and the bar end weights are what I scratched up on my 2 no-speed driveway drops.

Either way, have fun and be safe.
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

One good thing when the R goes over......the protruding jugs tend to help in preventing foot and ankle injury. It's pretty difficult to get pinned under the bike since it doesn't go over as far as other engine designs.

Go for it!
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint