Torque values for R12R wheel(s) remount

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Jed
Basic User

Torque values for R12R wheel(s) remount

Post by Jed »

Hi guys,

Does anyone have easy access to the torque values for:

Rear wheel lug bolts
Front wheel axle
Front wheel caliper bolts (calipers to fork leg)
Front wheel pinch bolt

Thanks in advance for your help !
Cheers,

Jed
R12R
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Torque values for R12R wheel(s) remount

Post by roger l »

Torque values are listed below.

Rear wheel lug bolts 60 Nm
Front wheel axle 50 Nm
Front wheel caliper bolts (calipers to fork leg) 30 Nm
Front wheel pinch bolt 19 Nm

I just changed tires on a friends R1200RT so we just went thru this.

Roger L
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

just a suggestion, respectfully made...
if you're asking for those numbers, get the Haynes manual. It lists all that stuff. Ava on amazon. Might even find a used copy on a forum somewhere or on FBay

and you can just google "Convert nM to ft Lbs" or whatever and an empty box will come up to do the conversion for you
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Jed
Basic User

Post by Jed »

Roger,

Thanks so much for the quick response. This was my first “wheels off the bike” tire replacement. Unfortunately my local independent guy is taking some much-deserved time off, so I needed to find a way to do as much of the work as possible myself. As you know it’s a dead easy job as long as you pull the calipers off the front before you try to remove the front wheel.

Another question for you, is there a trick to getting the axle lined-up for re-installation? I was wary of cross-threading the left fork leg since there didn’t appear to be any kind of alignment structure machined into the axle. The threads on my axle go right to the end and the threads on the left fork leg appear to as well. I had to play with it for a good 10 minutes before I felt comfortable enough to dare try starting the threading. At any rate everything is back together and I’m in new tire heaven with a greasy pair of Metzeler Z8’s. I definitely ran the PR2’s too far past their useful life. They were squared-off something horrible.

Harry,

Thanks for the converter. I’m all set since my torque wrench has direct reading for ft-lbs and nm.

Dr S,

Good solid advise. That was my first choice, but unfortunately my wife cleaned-up my reference materials some time ago and many of my manuals (including the Haynes) have gone missing temporarily. If I cannot find the Haynes soon I’ll have to order another one. Thankfully Roger had quick access to the information.

Thanks to you all !
Cheers,

Jed
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Post by roger l »

Jed:
Putting in the front axle is much easier with two people. One person to hold the wheel in place and the other to put in the axle. When I start the threads I usually turn the screw backwards until I fee the bolt "click" into the threads then I turn it the correct direction to start the threads. With the fine threads on the front axle I turn the axle in by hand until I am sure that it is started correctly. If it it tight chances are it is not started properly.

Just my 2 cents

Roger L
ammolab
Lifer

Post by ammolab »

Jed: those torque figures are posted in the R1200R owners manual under "threaded fasteners". If you do not have a copy it is available free online.

http://mybikemanuals.com/bmw/bmw-r-mode ... s-manuals/
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe