Another Tire Thread

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Jed
Basic User

Another Tire Thread

Post by Jed »

I've searched the forums for recent tire recommendations but found nothing. What do you guys like these days for tires on the R12R? Do we have any longer-term reviews of the PR3's and the Z8's?

cheers,

Jed
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Another Tire Thread

Post by roger l »

Jed:
I have been using the Michelin Pilot Road 3's for the last 2 years with very good success. My back tire has over 10,000 miles on it and is getting close to needing changed. Has anyone tried the Pilot Road 4's. Are they as good or better that the 3's?

Thanks
Roger L
AlecMyrddyn
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1022

Post by AlecMyrddyn »

I've been riding on PR3s for the last 10,000 miles or so, and *just* had to replace the rear. The front looks to still have at least another 1,000 left.

At least 3,000 of those miles were two up with full luggage.

In short, I love the tires. When I replaced the rear, I put another PR3 on. When it's time to replace the front, I'll probably go with another PR3. I might go with a PR4 on the front, but why mess with a good thing? The 3's just seem to do everything really well already: grip (wet and dry), ride comfort, handling, nice even wear, etc. I am curious to hear about the PR4, especially how the front compares, as I might end up going PR4 front with a PR3 rear if it gets good reviews, but I wouldn't hesitate going PR3 again.
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

I just replaced a rear pr3 after 9,000 miles. It was flat spotted in the middle from my Nova Scotia trip last fall and pretty well worn out. The new one is a pr4. I don't notice any difference other than the great feeling of a new skin. My take is the 3 and 4 will feel just the same to most riders. Hopefully, the 4 will last longer if the adverts are true.
Jed
Basic User

Post by Jed »

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Are the stories about PR3's being noisy accurate or just another inter'webs rumor? It sounds like everyone is happy with the PR3's - maybe I'll take the plunge and sign-up to be the PR4 test dummy. My mileage has dropped quite a bit the past two years so it looks like I'll be able to get a couple of years (5K miles / year) out of a set of new skins. It used to kill me to replace tires within one season, but a couple of years out of a set is palatable for me. Thanks again for your comments!

Cheers,

Jed

PS I'm coming from PR2's so the new PR3 / PR4's should be quite an improvement !
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

I switched over from the OEM BT-21's @ 5K miles. Now with just over 12K the front looks new and the rear shows some wear, but it has another 3 ~ 4K left in it.

I can see two rears to one front with these. Not sure if I'll stick with a PR3 or move up the the PR4 when the rear wears out.

The difference in handling over the stock tires is beyond amazing.

I might go for the inevitable deals on the PR3 when when mine wears out as the PR4 becomes popular, the 3's have been so good.
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

I've gone through a couple sets of PR3s and am now 1,000 miles or so into a set of PR4s. I am a big fan of the PR3s—great, great tires. I go through 'em in about 8,000 miles. Phenomenal grip wet and good, predictable grip in the dry. Not a full-on sport tire, of course, but I've had my knee down on my R with PR3s on it. So there's that.

I expect the PR4s to be just as good, hopefully better, but one unexpected kinda bummer is that the sipes/channels on the front of the PRs make 'em susceptible to a bit of weave on grooved pavement. I assume this is the parallel-ness (to the road grooves) of the sipes/channel—the PR3s didn't do this at all. Doesn't bother me now, but it was unexpected.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

I have about 2,500 miles on my PR4's.. and I like'm. A bit of cupping on the front, rear wear is minimal. Got 12,000+ out of my last PR3 rear, and 10,000 from the front PR3. The PR3 front was fairly worn, but still quiet unlike the PR2's that started to sing at about that mileage.

Ask me again in 10,000 miles (around October probably), and I'll give you a more detailed review of the PR4. It is excellent in rain, but I expected that given how good the PR2 and PR3's were and Michelin claiming even better rain performance.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Matt
Basic User

Post by Matt »

I recently had a pair of Pilot Road 4 fitted. There is only good reviews of this tyres on the net so it appeared to be a good choice. For me it was a bad choice as I dont like them and cant wait to get them off. I know tyres are a very personal choice and fairly expensive so sometimes it is better the devil you know than the devil dont.
AlecMyrddyn
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1022

Post by AlecMyrddyn »

Matt wrote:I recently had a pair of Pilot Road 4 fitted. There is only good reviews of this tyres on the net so it appeared to be a good choice. For me it was a bad choice as I dont like them and cant wait to get them off.
Can you explain why? What other tires have you been using, and why don't you like about the PR4s in comparison?
Matt
Basic User

Post by Matt »

I found them hard, bumpy and with neutral uninspiring almost dull steering, the only feedback I'm getting is vibrations on the handlebars. Also, they do not have a nice smooth feeling more of a flat tyre or towing a trailer feeling. The only positive is they don't track tar lines or white lines in the road. Yesturday the shop did rebalance the rear wheel so hopfully that will sort out the vibrations but I am yet to try them. They have been 36psi front and 42 psi back as suggested on BMW and Michelin website.
GBag
Basic User

Post by GBag »

I'm about 3000 into a pair of PR4. They twitch more on tar snakes. Grip Great in the rain or dry and will corner till you drag peg. I also am getting cupping on the front faster than the PR3. The 3's didn't cup till almost 8000 mi. The real test for me is will the 4's pass 10K. I love the continentals they grip like mad but they only go 5 or 6 k and you'll be seeing belts. Metzlers were ok but didn't pass 6k and they wandered the most on grooved road. Just my experiences so take it with a grain of salt. We all ride differently so thats also a factor.
GBag
'08 XL1200 L (Traded), '09 R1200R (Traded), '11 R1200R (riding the hell out of it)
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

deilenberger wrote: Got 12,000+ out of my last PR3 rear, and 10,000 from the front PR3. .
Is that right? You wore out a front before the back.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Matt
Basic User

Post by Matt »

Ok the rebalancing has got the vibes to an expectable level, I will try to live with them for a bit longer. The Contis when new had great grip, feedback and comfort but 4500 and they were to out of shape.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

mogu83 wrote:
deilenberger wrote: Got 12,000+ out of my last PR3 rear, and 10,000 from the front PR3. .
Is that right? You wore out a front before the back.
Yup. Can't explain it.. mebbe I'm real easy on rears..
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Matt wrote:Ok the rebalancing has got the vibes to an expectable level, I will try to live with them for a bit longer. The Contis when new had great grip, feedback and comfort but 4500 and they were to out of shape.
Not sure where you saw that pressure suggestion.. the original BMW pressure suggestion was 32/36PSI one up. They had a higher rating for 2 up or touring with a load - which seems to be the only recommendation they give now. I'm guessing they felt enough people never bothered changing the pressure based on the load carried, so the lawyers told them to make it the high-load pressure across the board.

You might try the lower pressure. Make sure you set it at 70F or the tire pressure will not be correct. I have a TPMS that tells me real time real pressure and tire temperature.. and the change in pressure due to temperature is more than you might think. If you're setting 36/42 with cold tires - you could easily be seeing 40/48 with warm tires, and even more with hot tires - and that will change the ride quality rather drastically.
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

I'm running 36F 38R. Feels nice.

This on the recommendation of the guy that changes my tires.
Bill Stevenson
Lifer
Donating Member #: 701

Post by Bill Stevenson »

I am using PR3 now on second set. PR2 before that. When new Bridgestones were OEM. The Michelins are better, although I can't say the PR3 is better than the PR2 was. New tires always feel better than the worn ones they replace. I do not understand why people are recommending 36 psi on the front. I weigh 215 and use 32 to 33 psi in the front and 40-42 psi in the back. Tires heat up properly and stick better with these slightly lower pressures and this is especially noticeable in the front. Florida uses sea shell in the asphalt to combat the effects of our hot weather. This keeps the asphalt from melting, but wears tires out faster. I get 9-10K out of a set of the Michelins, roughly double the life of the Bridestones. The PR3 Michelins are good wet or dry, very predictable, have a nice feel under cornering or braking, these are just a nice all around tire for our bikes. I am sure the PR4 is excellent too.
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Are the stories about PR3's being noisy accurate
I didn't find them so and I ran through 3 sets. I did find the ride sort of squishy/soft. Some may like that, but I preferred a firmer ride. I ran a rear Z8 for a while and a Z6--found them very similar, but mileage wasn't that great though z6>z8.

I LOVED Pirelli Scorpion trails, but only got 8k out of them vs 11-14 out of PR3s. They rode firmer and stuck better than PR3s imo.
I recently went with my second set of Pirelli Angel GTs and I really really like them, wet or dry and they appear that they will get mileages close to the PR3s if not equal. Very similar in feel to the Scorpion Trails. There is nothing out there right now that will dissuade me from my next set of Angel GTs. In fact, I don't even read about tires, this thread excepted, I am that satisfied.
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
xfjr

Post by xfjr »

I've gone through 6 sets of PR3s on the R1200R and think they are excellent. I don't think you can beat the grip, wet or dry, they warm up very quickly and am comfortable running them to the edge. I have never gotten the milage that some people state, but we have lots of chip and seal roads and hot weather too. I always wear out the rear 1st and get from 5800- 7500 miles out of the rear, depending on what, I'm not sure. I usually replace them when they are at the wear bars.

I am just about to replace my 1st set of PR4s, and it will be with PR3s. The expected benefits haven't panned out for me. I have 6500 miles on them and I'm at the rear wear bars. I also had some of the squishy? feel when they were new that has been reported in some mag reviews. After about 2000 miles that went away. As they have worn, they have a wear pattern leaving a lip on the leading edge of the block behind the sipe. Someone reported noise from the PR3s but I think the PR4s are much more noisy. I haven't changed anything to impact my hearing- same ear plugs and helmet.

So, I'm going back to PR3s because I don't see any benefit and have some negatives. They are both excellent tires.