Rockster Instrument Wiring

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

miserygit
Basic User

Rockster Instrument Wiring

Post by miserygit »

Hi.

I'm slowly working through the Frau's problems.

Can anybody tell me if the instrument wiring is correct? It doesn't appear to be the same as the legend produced by Sweatmark.

Any comments are welcome.

I would put the image in the post but I can't do it, so here's the link - https://www.flickr.com/photos/fivewatt/13651733994

Thanks,

Rob
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Rockster Instrument Wiring

Post by sweatmark »

What? Me, a legend? You're too kind.

Don't know what info you are referencing, but the Rockster instrument wire harness connections differ slightly from the Stromlaufplaene electrical schematics.

I'm due for some instrument fiddling myself, and will grab a pic of the terminal/wire connections ASAP.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
miserygit
Basic User

Post by miserygit »

I'm still not sure about the wiring on the Rockster.

I've replaced nearly all of the components in the speedometer system and my latest piece was a speedometer from a non-ABS R1100S.
This is where the original speedometer design came from.

The result wasn't what I was expecting...

http://youtu.be/kKU4x7HAn_c
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
miserygit
Basic User

Post by miserygit »

The penny has dropped.

A look at the rockster and the Haynes manual shows the rockster has feed from the ABS circuit board to the speedo.
My rockster on the other hand has a circuit board from a R1150 RT - cable speedo so no electrical connection to the speedo. The RT ABS board is the same as the R.

So I've wasted time and money that I could have saved had I sat down and thought about it a bit more. Hey ho!

So my question is will a link feed from the rear hall sensor to the speedo wiring work or does the ABS circuit amplify or modify the signal before its sent to the speedo?

I suspect this question has already been asked.

Thanks in advance.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Does your bike have ABS or not.

If ABS - the speed signal will come from the ABS system.

If NOT ABS the speed signal for the digital speedo (analogue face, digitally driven) will come from a sensor in the rear-drive-box that reads a castellated ring that is pushed onto part of the rear-wheel hub.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Ok

1. Your YouTube vid shows how the electronic speedometer responds to ignition noise... I ran this way for two seasons after ABS removal. Funny thing is, the speedometer tracks actual speed (verified by GPS) fairly well when you keep the bike in the 3-5k RPM sweet spot throughout the 6 gears, except for higher speeds. Well, it was good enough for me for a while.

2. I can get you sorted with a "black box" approach, assuming you still have one of the ABS wheel sensors installed on the bike. The Motronic and iABS computers matter not in your case, if I understand correctly that you have used an ABS module from R1150RT - which does not provide the signal output required for the R1100S speedometer used on Rockster, and/or does not have the pinout connection for the speedo.

Please confirm:
Yours is originally ABS Rockster.
You replaced faulty iABS module with one from R1150RT.
You have or have not hacked the Rockster wiring harness.
miserygit
Basic User

Post by miserygit »

Yes sir.

My Rockster is an ABS model and unmolested. Apart from the previous owner who replaced the original ABS unit with an RT one which I then replaced with the same.
I should have guessed when I found the indicator lens GLUED on rather replaced because he'd broken the lens by using wood screws to attach it.

C'est la vie.

Thanks for the quick response.

My responses might be slower than usual because I'm in the Lake District for a few days and my internet reception here is limited.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

miserygit wrote:Yes sir.
My Rockster is an ABS model and unmolested. Apart from the previous owner who replaced the original ABS unit with an RT one which I then replaced with the same...
Hmm.

So you should leave everything as it is: wiring harness, iABS, ABS wheel sensors. Keep all of it stock.

Points to consider:

You won't be able to use the sensor(s) and tone wheel/ring as input signal source. I'm using front wheel sensor and ring to start my speedo signal chain, but I also hacked the wiring harness and elected to forego ABS safety advantages (which are significant).

The Telelever and Paralever mechanisms make it difficult to locate a wheel speed sensor anywhere safe and secure. Perhaps the best location I've considered is the Rockster's front wheel LHS axle spacer (where the Roadster's speedometer cable drive normally sits), which would require target(s) epoxied to the wheel inner hub face, just outside the bearing seal. That's a do-able location and strategy, especially if six targets were affixed to trigger impulses, similar to the non-ABS bikes' rear axle castellated inner ring, like Riceburner describes.

Unless you want to tackle the front axle setup I just described, recommend that you continue the "rpm-mph" speedo method until I cook up your real solution. Hopefully you have a small GPS that can be stashed in tank bag for reference.... worked for me for those few seasons, and is got really good at matching gear & RPM & MPH.

I will work on your black box solution this coming weekend.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Mr. Misery,

Had time to consider speedo fix options, 23 collective hours of trains, planes and rental cars during the past two days. I think I've got a good solution for you; will test during weekend. Please respond if interested.
miserygit
Basic User

Post by miserygit »

Yes please - I'm interested.

Back from the Lake District at the moment but off to Cardiff tomorrow for work. Back Sunday evening UK time.

Many thanks. (Again) :D
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

FYI - working on a couple of problems: differences between how your bike's setup with the RT iABS and my "xABS" speedometer application; and porting my Arduino stuff from WinXP to MacOS.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Misery,

How comfortable are you working with vehicle wiring?

Did you install the RT Integral ABS module yourself, or have a shop do it?

Do you want 1. Cheap and approximate, or 2. Moderate cost and precision?

FYI, I put 750 miles on the first option, which is working ok. Will have a chance to test system #2 after a couple electronics parts arrive from DigiKey.
miserygit
Basic User

Post by miserygit »

Apologies for the delay in replying - I've been to Cochem in Germany for a few days via Ypres, Oudenaarde and Bruges.

I'm OK working on the wiring and I do most of the work myself, and have access to professional help should I need it.

Any working speedo would be an improvement over the chinese bicycle speedo and GPS combo I have at the moment, though I have just done a 1500 mile journey with it so I can't complain too much.

Many thanks.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

PM me with your mailing address.