New Roadster

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

Matt
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

New Roadster

Post by Matt »

Pictures of the new roadster posted today

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/news/ ... evolution/
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Re: New Roadster

Post by angellr »

Matt wrote:Pictures of the new roadster posted today

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/news/ ... evolution/
A tad too modern.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Matt
Basic User

Post by Matt »

Im sure by the finished bike will be a little less radical.
scooterme

Post by scooterme »

I love it. I think it looks fantastic. Not sure it would replace my R1200R Swiss Army Knife of a bike, but shes pretty.
ImageImage
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

“Our target was to aim the boxer roadster at a younger audience than the R1200R, which will still exist. We want to widen the BMW image; not just change it.” (Bold/underline added by moi..)

"While BMW will not confirm its exact plans, it would appear this Concept Roadster will spawn a second roadster to sit in the R-model range alongside the GS adventure bikes, the RT and the R. The R1200R has never been a particular success in the UK motorcycle market but it remains popular in Europe and sells in reasonable numbers in the USA too. The new R1200R has already been spied undergoing testing and is looking almost certain for an official launch at one of the European shows this winter. We know this bike ditches the Duolever suspension of previous versions in favour of a traditional fork, and it will have the water-cooled motor for much enhanced performance."

Assuming by Duolever - they mean Telelever - that's a disappointment.

This also puts the nail in the coffin of the R-nine-T, since they aren't going to have 3 roadsters in the lineup.. (nor will they continue making the camhead engine for one bike model.) Get your R-Nine-T now - it will be a collectable.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

deilenberger wrote: This also puts the nail in the coffin of the R-nine-T, since they aren't going to have 3 roadsters in the lineup.. (nor will they continue making the camhead engine for one bike model.) Get your R-Nine-T now - it will be a collectable.
That's what first came to mind when I read this, it replaces the r nine t. So we will sort of get a water cooled R as a new bike, not the evolution of the R1200R?
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

deilenberger wrote:“Our target was to aim the boxer roadster at a younger audience than the R1200R, which will still exist. We want to widen the BMW image; not just change it.”

That, added to this:

The new R1200R has already been spied undergoing testing and is looking almost certain for an official launch at one of the European shows this winter. We know this bike ditches the Duolever suspension of previous versions in favour of a traditional fork, and it will have the water-cooled motor for much enhanced performance."
and:

This also puts the nail in the coffin of the R-nine-T, since they aren't going to have 3 roadsters in the lineup.. (nor will they continue making the camhead engine for one bike model.) Get your R-Nine-T now - it will be a collectable.
In plain language: the R12R will continue as a wethead, but without the Telelever front end.

I'm not ready for a telescopic front suspension. Don's last sentence should really say "Get a near-new Hexhead or Camhead R12R now - it will be a collectable."
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
Catchina
Lifer

Post by Catchina »

dbrick wrote:In plain language: the R12R will continue as a wethead, but without the Telelever front end.
I'll need a good test drive but based on what I have read and comments about the r9t front suspension being quite good, the new motor on an R interests me a lot. Not sure how much I would miss the Telelever until I try the alternative.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

If it is any solace, the trend in MotoGP is to have the bike dive more under hard braking. Unweights the rear and the rider can pivot the rear tire into a turn. You could be first to try it on an R12R.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Catchina
Lifer

Post by Catchina »

MTBeemer wrote:If it is any solace, the trend in MotoGP is to have the bike dive more under hard braking. Unweights the rear and the rider can pivot the rear tire into a turn. You could be first to try it on an R12R.
That's crazy talk :-)
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Catchina
Lifer

Post by Catchina »

I hope the new R12R still has ABS, ASC and linked brakes. I love those features on the current R. Telelever just had to go to make room for the two radiators on the new water cooled engine, no other way to make it fit. I don't believe there is a conspiracy to get rid of telelever or any other reason they are doing it other than to fit the new engine.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
AlecMyrddyn
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1022

Post by AlecMyrddyn »

Catchina wrote:I hope the new R12R still has ABS, ASC and linked brakes. I love those features on the current R. Telelever just had to go to make room for the two radiators on the new water cooled engine, no other way to make it fit. I don't believe there is a conspiracy to get rid of telelever or any other reason they are doing it other than to fit the new engine.
They managed to fit the radiators on the new 'GS hidden behind those mini wing upper fairings... Perhaps they could return to an R1150R inspired design with the radiators hidden in tank wings? Looking at the 'GS and Concept Roadster, I'm not sure why they couldn't fit the Telelever...

The industry seems to be moving toward naked bikes include more fairing-like panels attached around the headlight and tank. While I love the clean aesthetics of the Cam Head 'R, it seems like even BMW is moving away from them with the tank wings/shoulders on the 'GS, S1000R and this new Concept Roadster.

Personally, I'd love to see a Wet Head R1200RS or 'ST with a minimal upper fairing that could hide the radiators. It could also help manage the airflow issues the 'R has. Take the current weight and riding position/height of the 'R, the Wet Head motor, and an 'RS type mini-fairing and I'd be in heaven. The 'GS is too tall and ugly for me. The 'RT is too heavy and has too much wind protection. The 'R is nearly the perfect do-it-all bike for me. The only weakness is in wind protection, and even that's a small weakness.
lcarlson

Post by lcarlson »

One of my favorite styling features on my R1150R is the graceful and functional oil cooler covers flanking the tank. I'd love to see a return to this arrangement on the coming R1200R wet head. Don't know relative coolant volumns though, so it may not be practical.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
tinytrains
Lifer

Post by tinytrains »

It looks to me like this is the new HP2. There may be a standard roadster on the way too. From MCN:

“Our target was to aim the boxer roadster at a younger audience than the R1200R, which will still exist. We want to widen the BMW image; not just change it.”
Scott Schifer, Torrance CA.
1988 K75 Low Seat
2009 R1200R
LeonardoNYC
Basic User

Post by LeonardoNYC »

Why would telelever be discontinued on new R1200R? I love the look and the concept and feel.
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

I think they are perceived as "stodgy", Leonardo, and more suited to middle-aged riders. They want to hook those young squids! Me, I loved my Earles fork R60; I preferred its handling to the better-looking, more modern telescopic forked slash-5 I replaced it with, and regretted having sold it...
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

LeonardoNYC wrote:Why would telelever be discontinued on new R1200R? I love the look and the concept and feel.
BMW for the past 5-6 years seems to have been responding to the drivel the moto-journalists always go on about with any design that's new or different. Hence - the new bikes have a Japanese designed set of switches for the turn-signals instead of the eminently logical left for left, right for right that we have. Ditto on front suspensions. The racer-wannabes that write for magazines (including MCN in the US) have always had something disparaging to say about the Telelever suspension.. "lacks feel" "not enough feedback" - meaning - it doesn't dive violently or start to bind up on hard braking. They're used to the not so great feel of "standard" suspension, and anything else is to be frowned at. Sort of how they poo-pooed ABS when it came out claiming a "skilled" rider (implying they are) under ideal conditions (as if we only ride in those conditions) could out-brake it.

So - I'm guessing BMW *MARKETING* has overruled the engineers in this case - and demanded that the engineers dumb down the designs so the racer-expert-motojournalists (know what the qualification for being a moto-journalist are - being able to turn in XXX words monthly.. and that's it..) have less to complain about.

My feeling - after riding for 40+ years - I like what the engineers came up with. Telelever works, and works well. It has almost no stiction due to the inherent design, and it allows adding sophisticated shock/spring control easily. There are no negatives to it that I've been able to find, and I have no desire to go back to 1930's design diving front ends.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

The Concept Roadster weighs a full 45kg less than the adventure-bike R1200GS it shares an engine with, which will make for much increased performance and lighter handling. That weight loss even includes the heavy items like the billet seat and subframe, along with the heavy stainless steel exhaust collector and bellypan.
I'm guessing limited-edition HP2. And that bike would be a hoot at the track. Notice the valve cover sliders? I had a difficult time holding on during open throttle on a wasser boxer R1200GS; the boxer motor is alive and well. And I prefer stout conventional forks for trackdays.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

It looks ok but if I were in the market for a bike like this, it would be the S1000R

Barry
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
lcarlson

Post by lcarlson »

Depends on what you want. An in-line four has a very different "character" from a boxer. I have both: an R1150R and a 2007 K1200GT. The GT is unquestionably better as a high-speed sport tourer. But most of my riding is local, and I grab the key to the boxer a lot more often.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650