Cracked handgrip

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

sunilsingh18
Lifer

Cracked handgrip

Post by sunilsingh18 »

Took out my 2002 R1150R after a severe winter and noticed that the right side hand grip has a horizontal tear about 3 inches long and about 1/8 inch wide. The heating still works and there is nothing that seems to be wrong except the tear.

Any suggestions from the wise folks on the forum ?

Sunil
ldeijkva
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Cracked handgrip

Post by ldeijkva »

Order new rubber grips from ebay, peel of the old ones with a utiility knife, put some towels on the steer & lever/button housing, spray the handgrip & the inside of the new rubber grips with glue, slide it over while everything is still wet. You have some time to position the new grips before the glue starts drying. Chore takes about 20 minutes, can't really mess it up. Just make sure you do not damage the heating loom.

Edit: replaced the rubber grips on multiple bikes in above manner.
Rags
Basic User

Post by Rags »

OR put these on... no glue to contend with and better shock absorption

Easy on, no gluing

http://www.shop.originalbeemerbuddies.c ... -AB-SS.htm

I really like my pair

Rags
sunilsingh18
Lifer

Post by sunilsingh18 »

Thanks folks.
I would have liked to replace the grip by cutting it away but am vary of destroying the heating loom. I will watch out for further degradation and till then I will use an over grip as suggested.
I appreciate your guidance.

Sunil
milehighboater
Basic User

Post by milehighboater »

When I did my grips they are only really attached at the bar ends. I was able to carefully cut the end of the grip and I just blew air into them and got them off. Even if you accidentally cut the heater wires its a quick solder fix to repair it, its just a small wire wound around the bar covered with brown paper.