The new BMW R nineT

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new BMW R nineT.

Moderator: Moderators

websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

The new BMW R nineT

Post by websterize »

Well, it's official:

"Highlights of the new BMW R nineT:
- Puristic design.
- Hand-built feel of the workmanship.
- Air/oil-cooled twin-cylinder boxer engine with a displacement of 1,170 cc. Output 81 kW (110 hp) at 7,750 rpm, maximum torque 119 Nm (88 lb-ft) at 6,000 rpm.
- Ideally suited to customisation.
- Modular frame concept with removable pillion frame and frame end-piece.
- Classic wheel suspension concept using high-quality upside-down telescopic fork at the front and paralever at the rear.
- Exhaust system with two silencers on the left-hand side, with variation options.
- Traditional wire-spoke wheels with black rims and hubs.
- Radial 4-piston monoblock brake callipers, steel-braided brake lines and floating 320 mm brake discs.
- Model plate riveted onto steering head in classic BMW Motorrad style.
- Bespoke range of special accessories made to BMW Motorrad’s customary high standards of quality."

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclu ... node__8300
Bill
websterize
Lifer

Re: The new BMW R nineT

Post by websterize »

Just looked through all 170 pictures. The tight shots are the most interesting. Hardware fit-and-finish on the NineT is really lovely. The designers had a blast with this bike, and it shows. I love the details: the post-modern font on the speedo and tach; the Roundel in the headlamp; the retro build-stamp plate behind the headlight; and machined caps galore! The more you drill down, at least aesthetically, the more interesting this bike looks. We'll see this highly refined detail more and more across the models.

But from a wide angle, the bike is not very compelling, especially as a current R12R owner. It's a fashion accessory. It's a terrific way to clear out inventory. I'll test ride it for sure.

Man, I wish Dave Robb would chime in and tell us the behind-the-scenes story about how this Gucci bike came together. Days like these when I miss Kevin Ash's reporting. RIP.
Bill
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

May I have it with Telelever? If not, fuggedaboutit!
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

xprof wrote:May I have it with Telelever? If not, fuggedaboutit!
Ditto!
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

I hadn't thought much of it from the spy shots, but having looked at all the photos and videos, I'm rather compelled to buy one. It's got the raw, stripped down look of an Italian bike (like a Monster or Griso) which is the one thing I felt the R1200R always lacked - a bit of sex appeal. I totally agree Web, there's some real nice details on this bike, almost a shocking amount, considering how basic it looks from afar.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
websterize
Lifer

Post by websterize »

If you haven't already, be sure to check out the official web site:

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/fasc ... /main.html

The "BMW Branding" and interactive rear variant sections are great. The design/photography of the site is outstanding. Terrific job, Motorrad.
Bill
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

in a few threads already....but Ill post again

drop dead gorgeous motorcycle. well done bmw. I want one. just not enough to get rid of the one I have YET.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
tinytrains
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by tinytrains »

I just had a chance to sit on one at the Long Beach show. Position is pretty much like my 09 but the seat is narrower and lower. It feels lighter and way cooler.

No danger of buying one, I use my hard bags way too much, and even if you could install bags on R nine T, it would be just wrong.
Scott Schifer, Torrance CA.
1988 K75 Low Seat
2009 R1200R
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

peels wrote:

drop dead gorgeous motorcycle. well done bmw. I want one. just not enough to get rid of the one I have YET.
Oh yea!
Seems like BMW can hit it on the head(like this) or completely miss the consumers desires.
Pop a wheelie! :)
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

It is a really nice bike,but i like more the R1200R
sunilsingh18
Lifer

Post by sunilsingh18 »

Saw the R9T in Minneapolis during the Motorcycle show and have to admit I was disappointed. The pictures look great but up close it looks rather crude. The designers have produced a bike meant to be cheap and it looks it. The R1200R displayed nearby looked far more 'complete' and 'BMW like' as compared to the R9T looked like a cheap Chinese export.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

sunilsingh18 wrote:Saw the R9T in Minneapolis during the Motorcycle show and have to admit I was disappointed. The pictures look great but up close it looks rather crude. The designers have produced a bike meant to be cheap and it looks it. The R1200R displayed nearby looked far more 'complete' and 'BMW like' as compared to the R9T looked like a cheap Chinese export.
What was it that turned you off?
The powerplant is a proven factor.
I'm not a Cafe Guy myself but I was drawn.:)
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
Karamazov
Lifer

Post by Karamazov »

sunilsingh18 wrote:The designers have produced a bike meant to be cheap and it looks it. The R1200R displayed nearby looked far more 'complete' and 'BMW like' as compared to the R9T looked like a cheap Chinese export.

I think you've missed the point of the bike entirely. It's not supposed to look "complete" like an R1200R. It's aimed at the kind of people who think the R1200R looks too complete - the kinda people who would tear parts off an R1200R and hack away at the subframe with a saw. And I'm not sure what cheap means to you, but gold anodized forks, model exclusive parts, and a painted/polished aluminum gas tank look pretty expensive to me.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
websterize
Lifer

Post by websterize »

The R nineT accessories add up pretty quick.

Mmm, carbon-fiber.
Bill
Karamazov
Lifer

Post by Karamazov »

The R nineT accessories add up pretty quick.
Yup. The "only $800 more than an R1200R" I've been hearing is pretty misleading. Most buyers will be adding, at the minimum, the custom exhaust and the aluminum tail hump (insert cash register noises...)
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
Wheezer!
Basic User

Post by Wheezer! »

Karamazov wrote:
sunilsingh18 wrote:The designers have produced a bike meant to be cheap and it looks it. The R1200R displayed nearby looked far more 'complete' and 'BMW like' as compared to the R9T looked like a cheap Chinese export.

I think you've missed the point of the bike entirely. It's not supposed to look "complete" like an R1200R. It's aimed at the kind of people who think the R1200R looks too complete - the kinda people who would tear parts off an R1200R and hack away at the subframe with a saw. And I'm not sure what cheap means to you, but gold anodized forks, model exclusive parts, and a painted/polished aluminum gas tank look pretty expensive to me.

Quite right Mr.K. The attention to detail is remarkable. Hand made tank, logo detail inside the headlight assembly, detailing on grips, seat, bar ends, footpegs, etc etc etc ...... Exhaust hanger, seat subframe all get design attention.... Classic typeface on the clocks.... All rare on a production bike. I think you can see where the money has been spent.
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

Is the R nine T only a one year 2014 production for the 90th birthday celebration?
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Karamazov
Lifer

Post by Karamazov »

There will be a 2015 model. Anything after that is speculation at this point, but consensus is that BMW will continue to produce it until stricter 2017 euro emissions standards make it implausible - assuming the model continues to enjoy its current success.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

R nine-T-one just doesn't have the same ring to it :D
2011 R1200R RED