R1200RW?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

PhilSB
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: R1200RW?

Post by PhilSB »

I fancied an S1000RR if they brought out a roadster version, but now they have I think it might be a bit too "hot" for me. There again I suppose I could always ride it in rain mode :badgrin: I really love my 07R and thought I would wait until the watercooled version came out. I too like the telelever front suspension, I'll have wait and see what the upgrade is really like and then decide.
At present I'm just contemplating a Brit classic project, the only problem being that I'm a rubbish mechanic. I suppose you only learn by doing. I always go by Dirty Harry's observation, "A man's got to know his limitations!"

Phil
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

Steve H. wrote:I am a conservative.Ilike manual clutch,shifter becouse that is the part of real biking.If automated shifting does everithing for you ......where is the real biking????? There is allmost no one whoo is capable to drive car with manual transmission.If automatic thinkig instade of you,you are NOT AREAL DRIVER.You lost your privilage to be a real driver-biker.That is my opinion,and I will stand up for it.Please convicte me if I am wrong.Won't make it.Guaranteed.

BRGDS Steve H.
SF_Hooligan wrote:
Acpantera wrote:Ok...where to start...I'm not sure you understand what the shift assistant is or does, but I can tell you that it only adds about 4oz the the weight of the bike. I also Know that we are riding motorcycles, I have been riding since 1972, and can tell you that I handle a bike very proficiently(on and off road). I have embraced new tech over the years, not shunned it as it moves forward. BMW has offered a factory version of a speed shifter and it works very well and is a lot of fun to use.I also like cruise control, on long trips it helps to ward off fatigue. I think these options will only enhance the riding experience not detract from it or isolate me from the road.
LOL. Seriously. I'm a lifelong gearhead, and I write for a moto mag. I know the background and I definitely understand what it does. I don't care if its only four ounces—I have no need for it, so I don't want that extra weight, or more importantly, cost and complexity. Drag bikes? Race bikes? Sure. My R? Why bother?

The rest of your comment is projection. I didn't say I shun new tech—one of my bikes is a BMW, ferchrissake. I just don't have any desire for a shift assistant. My opinion is that it won't enhance the riding experience for me, and will in fact isolate me from the bike. No thanks, but have nice time with it. :mrgreen:
I just don't see any reason to get all that grumpy about it, chill. Have a nice day.
ASK WHY
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Acpantera wrote:I just don't see any reason to get all that grumpy about it, chill. Have a nice day.
Look man, I articulated why I didn't like it. You got all lecture-y and projected a bunch of your preconceptions on me. I didn't get grumpy, I simply responded to that, for clarification. I even used a smilie! :lol:

You might consider not starting your responses with assumptions that the other party in the discussion is a ignorant technology-hating luddite next time, and recognize that your opinion on this stuff isn't universal truth. As I said, we're all on BMWs here—not panheads or whatever.
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

No, you look....MAN... I make a comment on my wishes for the next roadster, and you belittled me for admiring the options available as if I ruptured the purist code of motorcycling. I'm done with this now. I am sorry to all others on this forum, I have strayed from topic and went personal. Good day.
ASK WHY
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Acpantera wrote:No, you look....MAN... I make a comment on my wishes for the next roadster, and you belittled me for admiring the options available as if I ruptured the purist code of motorcycling. I'm done with this now. I am sorry to all others on this forum, I have strayed from topic and went personal. Good day.

I don't know where you're getting this I belittled you from. Let's recap:

1. You said you wanted shift assistant, I was curious why and asked—as you say to do in your sig :mrgreen:
2. You detailed your reasons.
3. I replied with my reasons for not being interested in shift assistant on a roadster, including a bit of philosophical banter about the nature of riding versus driving. Nowhere did I say anything about you—this was my opinion on why I wouldn't want it.
4. You took a lecturing tone in your response, with "where to start" and implied that since I don't agree with you, I don't know what I'm talking about, and projected some kind of assumptions that I must be some kind of tech hater‚ which I never said anything about.
5. I clarified that I do in fact know what I'm talking about and further articulated the reasons I (just me!) am not interested in shift assistant on a bike with this level of power. This apparently served to further offend you, in spite of the smilie usage.
6. You accused me and Steve H of "getting grumpy."
7. I replied that I was not grumpy at all, and pointed out some other issues in your tone/methods.
8. You are apparently offended even by simple things like the colloquial use of "man" and now are taking your ball and leaving the playground in anger.

This could have been a simple discussion about the up and down sides of shift assist and other rider aids. Instead, you apparently read a bunch of stuff into my responses and got all bent out of shape. I'm sorry you took offense from my responses—my intent wasn't to belittle you and I don't think my words did. Take it easy, man.
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

done, ride well.
ASK WHY
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

I have no idea what this says. It was a link on the R1200R page on Facebook. It seems consistent with some of the concerns voiced on this board. http://www.motorradonline.de/motorrad/m ... -03/519192

After having a quick shifter on another bike, I like it. I now use the clutch on my R1200R less and shifting is more fun. I have also gotten better at preloading my shifter so that the shift is much quicker and needs little or no clutch. The literature for the new RT indicates the quick shifter works both up and down. That would be nice since I am not as good as I would like to be blipping the throttle on a downshift, especially if I fail to plan ahead well enough need to downshift in a turn.

It will be interesting to see if this concept sells in a boxer twin. It seems like they are getting ready to market an engine that mature riders prefer to the younger crowd. I am skeptical and would hate to see them mess up the roadster.

After my post I ran it through translate.google.com. I guess the drawings are an artists wish. Here is what Google came up with:

"Focus on innovations, which we still wait-force expressions. MOTORCYCLE designer Stefan Kraft is not a man playing loud words. Instead, he draws. For example, what he would have wished, but in the New Flood this model year did not find."
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4