R1200RW?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

arp
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1124

R1200RW?

Post by arp »

Alex
'17 R1200GSA, 3k mi
'14 R1200RT, 27k mi
'12 R1200R Classic, 42k mi (traded)
Don C
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: R1200RW?

Post by Don C »

Translated:
The undisguised appearance so has its pitfalls. That 's not just people beyond the ideal measure so, but also motorcycles. Especially if there are modules which a concealing shell would do well.

With the new BMW R 1200 R, these are undoubtedly the new water cooler and the familiar Telelever, which are not conducive to the purist line. More, in the nude "R" there is not, as in the GS or RT a niche, in which the proscribed cooler could hide divided into two, so the BMW engineers installed it open in front of the engine.

This in turn excludes the not very handsome Telelever Vorderadführung, simply because there is no space. So telescopic fork. And if so, then the same upside-down. Well the same that was used already in the S 1000 RR and in the jubilee sister R ninet.

Whether the framework is used, can be seen beyond doubt in the present photos. The rear frame anyway, is another. Even the headlights section and the shape of the tank rather take loans from its predecessor, the free-standing instrument unit is surprisingly flat. Until the final presentation of the new R 1200 R (presumably at the Intermot ), we still have plenty of room for speculation.
tinytrains
Lifer

Post by tinytrains »

I sure hope that headlight is not the final version, or I am keeping my 2009 a while longer.
Scott Schifer, Torrance CA.
1988 K75 Low Seat
2009 R1200R
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

I wouldn't expect the headlight to be final—it looks very unfinished in general. Personally, I hope they don't go with conventional forks—I'm quite fond of the Telelever front suspension.

Between the RNineT and this, it looks like they're going more and more towards a Monster-esque look. Monsters are cool bikes, but that's not what I want in an R. Eh, whatever. I love my R and will probably just keep it forever—it's damn hard to beat. Next (new, non-project, old or whatever) bike will likely be more of a sport-tourer again.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Doesn't inspire me to rush to put down a deposit. No telelever = no interest. The bike looks shorter than our Roadster..

My WAG - if this is what it looks like I'll be looking for a new 2014 R1200R to stick away until I wear out the '07..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

I have been waiting for an up dated roadster, 8 model years is a long time on the same ride.Don't get me wrong, I love my 07 but if the new R1200RW has a telelever I will sign up asap. If not' I may have to go to a GS, I just have to get over how ugly it is. I would also consider a K1300S if I can get used the the crouchier riding ergo. Please BMW, do the right thing, give us a proper suspended roadster with the updated engine, shift assistant, and cruise.
ASK WHY
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

Loosing the telelever would be a sad thing. I have been meaning to ride a water boxer gs at the dealership. From what I understand of that engine, it may be worth the trade off. I don't really get fork dive on the other bikes I ride anyway.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Wearing outh a 1200R is going to take awhile
arp
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1124

Post by arp »

Actually, it looks more like an R nineTW than an R1200RW. Not much in the way of a rear seat, luggage rack or pannier provisions.
Alex
'17 R1200GSA, 3k mi
'14 R1200RT, 27k mi
'12 R1200R Classic, 42k mi (traded)
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Acpantera wrote:I have been waiting for an up dated roadster, 8 model years is a long time on the same ride.Don't get me wrong, I love my 07 but if the new R1200RW has a telelever I will sign up asap. If not' I may have to go to a GS, I just have to get over how ugly it is. I would also consider a K1300S if I can get used the the crouchier riding ergo. Please BMW, do the right thing, give us a proper suspended roadster with the updated engine, shift assistant, and cruise.
Shift assistant? Why?
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

arp wrote:Shift assistant? Why?
I rode a k1300s with it and it is a HOOT! Not to mention that it means less clutch component and left hand wear and tear.
ASK WHY
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

To wear out our bikes sounds easy.Only few hundred thousands of miles to go.Well,I think will stay with my R1200R for a while,maybe to the end of my life.I love her sooo mutch.She is worth it.A wunderbar motorcycle.

Steve but no wonder.
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

deilenberger wrote:Doesn't inspire me to rush to put down a deposit. No telelever = no interest. ................

My thoughts exactly, if it (telelever) is not available in the future, I'm riding my last BMW.
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Acpantera wrote:
arp wrote:Shift assistant? Why?
I rode a k1300s with it and it is a HOOT! Not to mention that it means less clutch component and left hand wear and tear.
Eh... I like shifting and clutching myself, and even with 10 more ponies I can't see a need for assistance with shifting, so why add the weight and complexity? At least there's no hill start assistant like on the new RT, which is offensive with its very existence. These are motorcycles, and we should know how to ride them. They're not cars, which for many years have had so much focus on isolating the user from the road environment and the need to know how to drive.
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

"Hill Start Assistant?"
That should be the (capable!) rider, who can hold the brake (either one) while simultaneously opening the throttle and releasing the clutch.
Last edited by dbrick on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Definetly telelever!!
The bike is so accurate(thrustworty),just amasing.In the case of eventual "panic braking"it is still,and accurate even without ABS.Going to stick to my bike,no real need for stronger engine for me.I don't use racetracks.R12R is a lot "roomier"than TW.++++

Steve H.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

SF Hooligan,+1
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

Newportcycle wrote:Eh... I like shifting and clutching myself, and even with 10 more ponies I can't see a need for assistance with shifting, so why add the weight and complexity? At least there's no hill start assistant like on the new RT, which is offensive with its very existence. These are motorcycles, and we should know how to ride them. They're not cars, which for many years have had so much focus on isolating the user from the road environment and the need to know how to drive.
Ok...where to start...I'm not sure you understand what the shift assistant is or does, but I can tell you that it only adds about 4oz the the weight of the bike. I also Know that we are riding motorcycles, I have been riding since 1972, and can tell you that I handle a bike very proficiently(on and off road). I have embraced new tech over the years, not shunned it as it moves forward. BMW has offered a factory version of a speed shifter and it works very well and is a lot of fun to use.I also like cruise control, on long trips it helps to ward off fatigue. I think these options will only enhance the riding experience not detract from it or isolate me from the road.
ASK WHY
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Acpantera wrote:Ok...where to start...I'm not sure you understand what the shift assistant is or does, but I can tell you that it only adds about 4oz the the weight of the bike. I also Know that we are riding motorcycles, I have been riding since 1972, and can tell you that I handle a bike very proficiently(on and off road). I have embraced new tech over the years, not shunned it as it moves forward. BMW has offered a factory version of a speed shifter and it works very well and is a lot of fun to use.I also like cruise control, on long trips it helps to ward off fatigue. I think these options will only enhance the riding experience not detract from it or isolate me from the road.
LOL. Seriously. I'm a lifelong gearhead, and I write for a moto mag. I know the background and I definitely understand what it does. I don't care if its only four ounces—I have no need for it, so I don't want that extra weight, or more importantly, cost and complexity. Drag bikes? Race bikes? Sure. My R? Why bother?

The rest of your comment is projection. I didn't say I shun new tech—one of my bikes is a BMW, ferchrissake. I just don't have any desire for a shift assistant. My opinion is that it won't enhance the riding experience for me, and will in fact isolate me from the bike. No thanks, but have nice time with it. :mrgreen:
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

I am a conservative.Ilike manual clutch,shifter becouse that is the part of real biking.If automated shifting does everithing for you ......where is the real biking????? There is allmost no one whoo is capable to drive car with manual transmission.If automatic thinkig instade of you,you are NOT AREAL DRIVER.You lost your privilage to be a real driver-biker.That is my opinion,and I will stand up for it.Please convicte me if I am wrong.Won't make it.Guaranteed.

BRGDS Steve H.