Exhaust System for the Rockster

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

DrAlf
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Exhaust System for the Rockster

Post by DrAlf »

The only complete system for the R1150xx that I could find was the laser hot cam system. Complete system meaning headers, link and end can. After years of searching I eventually tracked one down on ebay for a reasonable price. The complete system cost close to £1000 new!

With mild engine tuning work – i.e. special cams, gas flowing and slightly raised compression, the system contributes to 97bhp at the rear wheel – measured on a very accurate dyno. A fairly significant increase against the stock 78bhp at rear wheel. However I believe that the system only really comes into its own with engine tuning.

Looks like this:

1980 R1050GS ASS
1986 R80G/S
1999 R1150GS-SM MkI
2000 R1150GS-SM Mk II
2003 R1150GSR (Rockster\GS)
lidane
Basic User

Post by lidane »

The Akrapovic SLIP-ON system is the first level of exhaust system tuning, and is therefore relatively simple to install
daveysew
Basic User

Post by daveysew »

I've got a Remus Ti pipe with a Y-Pipe I picked up a few years back at BMW Motorrad Milwaukee. Very happy with the weight reduction and sound. Not to sure about the current availability of this set up, when I got mine they sold me the titanium set up at the price of the stainless steel set up as the Ti was in stock and the SS wasn't. I'd recommend this set up without hesitation.

dave
arbik
Basic User

Post by arbik »

I agree with DrAlf,

After a long search, I came to the conclusion that the Laser full system was best. So that's what I bought. If you are looking to do performance type of riding on your rockster (or turn your rockster into a hooligan-type bike), and want the optimum HP gains, this is the way to go.
A note here is that you loose the ability to have a center stand. I rode my rockster like that for a couple of years until I got myself another hooligan bike, and converted my rockster into my long-distance touring bike. I took off the laser exhaust and have gone to a hybrid system that I put together. Basically, a TBR Y-pipe mated to a D&D muffler using custom pieces. This gave me the use of my center stand back, which for touring I wanted. However, I can definitely feel the decrease in engine response and spunk, when comparing it to the laser full system.
DAQ421
Basic User

Post by DAQ421 »

jfslater98 wrote:
Sunfire wrote:... make use of the OEM stock heat shield.
You're talking about the little shield near the left footpeg, correct? If so, you could just remove the muffler. The shield I am referring to has an adjustable clamp, so you can remove the muffler, and re-clamp the shield around the pipe that sticks out of the cat. You probably wouldn't want to do this on a rainy day, but you can hear how it will sound and even ride around a bit to see if the new sound bothers you.

If you like it, you could start looking in auto parts or muffler stores for exhaust tips that fit. While I don't have the heat shield on mine, this tip was $8 at RS strauss

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/WV ... directlink

Lets resurrect this thread.. Because I really want to do this.. Can you tell me the dimensions of the tip? Diameter and length?
I'd rather get heat rash than road rash. The end..
ldeijkva
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ldeijkva »

You can find these in anyy half decent auto parts shop. Just measure the diameter of the collector piping & search for a nice fit in the shop.
I used the combo on my GS for a couple of months. It's messy at best. The Mototronic levels out the lack of a real exhaust pipe, so you basicly won't notice a difference in performance or picking up. Sound is way too loud. Most riders claim it's perfect but the dutch police thinks otherwise.

I'm probably one of the few who actually likes his basic exhaust on the R. 8)
It's polite tractor sound just suits me fine...
louis2m
Basic User

Post by louis2m »

I have an Y Pipe for Cat replacement and an Akrapovic muffler on my 80Ed Rockster, In 2003 was the first contact between BMW and Akrapovic what results in the first Akrapovic Exhaust Set for an BMW motorcycle!
Goody63
Basic User

Leo Vince

Post by Goody63 »

Can anyone please tell me if the exhaust / mufflers designated for the R1150R will also fit the Rockster?

I'm interested in this Leo Vince Exhaust: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com.au ... on-exhaust but wonder if it will fit my Rockster ok?

Also does anyone have much experience with this particular exhaust and can tell me if my BMW panniers will still fit?

Other option is a Akrapovic but it will cost me over $600 landed in Australia.

P.S. the slip on / muffler will be matched with a Y pipe.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
louis2m
Basic User

Post by louis2m »

To much money they ask over there, an other thing is that the Leo Vince company in Italy broke down an month ago....
Brands like Laser (incl chip), Akrapovic and Zach make fine systems for your R1150R or Rockster!
riceburner
Basic User

Re: Leo Vince

Post by riceburner »

Goody63 wrote:Can anyone please tell me if the exhaust / mufflers designated for the R1150R will also fit the Rockster?

I'm interested in this Leo Vince Exhaust: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com.au ... on-exhaust but wonder if it will fit my Rockster ok?

Also does anyone have much experience with this particular exhaust and can tell me if my BMW panniers will still fit?

Other option is a Akrapovic but it will cost me over $600 landed in Australia.

P.S. the slip on / muffler will be matched with a Y pipe.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Yes - Rockster is basically an R1150R with some different bits bolted on.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Boxerpunk
Basic User

Post by Boxerpunk »

I bought my "new" Rockster with a Sebring Twister with Y-pipe.
Has a nice sound.

However, I'm thinking of installing the cat, combined with my home-made shorty.
Great sound and the clear view at the rearwheel is fantastic.
You can install any muffler-tip you like; way, way cheaper than installing a complete new exhaust system !!
Greetz, Erwin

2003 Rockster Full Black
De_Waal
Basic User

Post by De_Waal »

First of all, Hello to all!
I'm a new member of this forum and of the Rockster Family.
I bought a 2003 Rockster a couple of months ago and am searching for a new exhaust system.
I've been looking around for a couple of weeks now but still haven't found anything to my liking.
So I was hoping for some help or advice from you guys.

What I'm looking for is a much shorter exhaust. I'm not a big fan of the 'Pipe' system though...
The kind I'm looking for is somewhat like the Hydroform exhaust from HP Corse.
Here's an example:

http://static-q.blogo.it/twowheelsblog/ ... rse_01.jpg

Does anyone know any other exhaust system of the same kind?
Thanks in advance!