Recommend Me a Helmet!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Matt
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Recommend Me a Helmet!

Post by Matt »

Nippess wrote:Hi everyone, I would like to ask what kinds of helmets you find useful when riding the R1200R with the small BMW sportshield. I am 5'7" and currently have an Arai Quantum but too noisy! Usually I use earplugs, but problem is that they push any stuff in my ears further down and need visits to doctors to clean them out. My helmet would probably be an XS size. Shoei helmets tend to press on my forehead so not keen to try another. Any suggestions? I was looking at HJC spend around £300 - £400. Thanks!
Have you replaced your Arai with anything quieter yet?
With no screen fitted the my Arai is a quiet helmet but unbearably noisy with with either sport or touring screen fitted. I have considered buying a Schuberth C3 but will it be quieter.
finsally
Basic User

Post by finsally »

I to needed to buy a new helmet, fancied a Shoei Neo-tec price £469.went to N.E.C Birmingham last week, Paid £335 from Infinity Motorcycles..well pleased

Cheers Robert
Matt
Basic User

Post by Matt »

Shoei are nice quality helmets. If you have screen on your bike, do you get a buffering noise with the shoei.
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Buffeting is not helmet-dependent, but is instead a function of the form and speed of airflow off the windshield hitting the helmet. Under the right circumstances, a rider wearing any type of helmet might feel it.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
Matt
Basic User

Post by Matt »

Some helmets are worse than others, my old Arai Maverick is fairly quiet with little buffering noise, however my later Arai Astro R is quieter at low speed but deafening buffering noise at 60 mph. Unfortunately my old Arai is too old use now and I understand the screens are responsible for buffering but some helmets are worse than others.
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

I agree that different helmets will react to buffeting in different ways, but that's caused by their fitting differently (tight or loose, floppy shields, shields that don't fully seal against the eyeport, quieter or noisier, and so on), While manufacturers would have you believe otherwise, helmet exterior shapes are pretty much alike - they're all head-shaped - and behave similarly in unsmooth air. Helmet-wise, the best a rider can do is a helmet that fits well and is quiet; I don't think differences in helmet weight are significant in this regard.

Buffeting is a symptom of turbulent air passing over the helmet. If you have a buffeting problem, address the relationship of the helmet to the screen (height, angle, and width), as well as air paths around and below the screen. Even a quiet, correctly-fitted helmet will be knocked around by unsmooth air.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
Orly
Basic User

Post by Orly »

Schuberth C3 Pro.
Matt
Basic User

Post by Matt »

I liked the C3 or C3pro they fit well, only concerned that I will still get buffeting.

dbrick I can only agree with you and look into adjusting screen angle etc. Thanks
Matt
Basic User

Post by Matt »

Santa is bringing me a Schuberth C3 with bluetooth :smt114
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

I'd have to agree with Matt. Although the primary factor in diagnosing buffeting problems is the windshield, the helmet does play a role. I have two different helmets and one is louder and buffets (reacts) more than the other on the same bike. Helmet choice does matter in the war against buffeting.
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
Matt
Basic User

Post by Matt »

The C3 arrived so I eagerly rush out for a test ride. It was only marginally quieter than the Arai, not sure it was significant improvement enough to warrant keeping the C3.
Mark
Basic User

Post by Mark »

Just purchased a new Shoei GT Air and fitted the Interphone F5 Intercom.
The noise level at speed is much reduced and fit and comfort is great. Added integrated sun shield is perfection and the chin curtain and breath guard are great.
I am comparing it to my 5 year old Shoei though so after years of great service it is possibly not a reasonable comparison.
As others have said - it's all about the fit first of all. If the shape is wrong then anything else is a non-starter .
Mark
2012 BMW R1200R - Light Grey Metallic
Sydney - Australia