Help picking out a tank bag

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Kevster
Basic User

Help picking out a tank bag

Post by Kevster »

I just bought my Rockster 6 weeks ago and in the process of outfitting it. I started out on a 1,000 mile run last weekend from DFW to Cotulla TX. I broke down 15 miles out with bad fuel lines, but that's another story. Bike is at Alamo BMW for repair and I bought a plane ticket to get home.

I packed the panniers and had a small duffle strapped to the back of the seat. I found it difficult to swing my leg over the back of the seat and duffle. Now I'm thinking of purchasing a tank bag. I have a source for a Motorrad bag part number 71607664864, and a Marsee 20 Liter Teardrop Tankbag Magnetic RM 3320. I like the idea of having an exact factory fit, but wanted to know your thoughts. Anyone have one for sale?

Kevster.
Laserr Boy
Basic User

Re: Help picking out a tank bag

Post by Laserr Boy »

I have used the Motorrad bag for the last 5-6 years. It fits perfectly and has stood the test of time.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

have you thought about a top-box? (top-case).

greater capacity and weatherproofing, and won't affect the ride much (if at all).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
R100CS
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by R100CS »

I wanted a tankbag from SW-Motech with a 12V connector inside to charge my phone's battery.
http://shop.sw-motech.com/en/by+motorbi ... /index.htm
It was ordered in June, still waiting. They have the tankbag without 12V but I want it with...
So be warned. About having extra space and you don't want to lift your leg too high, have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25656#p223366
2003 R1150R/Touratec panniers/H&B topbox/Gimbel Fairing/MCCruise cruisecontroll
previous R100CS
dustburm
Basic User

Post by dustburm »

My tank bag / top-tail bag experience is limited because I mostly ride to work and the the occasional run up the Yarnell Hill to Prescott. I'm not sure I really care for the mag attached tank bags. Mine isn't really quick on and off at the gas pump. It needs a place to sit. The Vetter bag on my poor boys BMW (GS850 Suz) unsnapped and tipped back. My current tail bag holds my soft brief case which my tank bag won't. So my tank bag only sees the light of day on trips when it holds rain jacket, long sleeve 't', water, sun glasses and my GPS.

The tank bag probably looks better than my tail bag but I'm not very appearance aware.

Dusty Burman
Kevster
Basic User

Post by Kevster »

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to hold off for awhile and see what I really need. I'd like the case for my camera and lens, so something padded and waterproof would be great. I've found I don't take the camera out of the panniers and thought I'd use it more if stored in a tank bag.