What's the deal with turn signal bulbs

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

spoon
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

What's the deal with turn signal bulbs

Post by spoon »

A rear turn signal stopped working. A little trouble shooting showed corrosion on the bulb and socket. This was very minor, as in easy to miss. A little fine sandpaper and all was well. But I looked up a new bulb and holy smokes. $24.71 for a bulb?? Pricey little silver thing. Does any one have a source for a replacement. This will have to be the bulb and socket as this is not a normal base. A replacement thats more in keeping with my cheap self.
spoon
Basic User

Re: What's the deal with turn signal bulbs

Post by spoon »

http://pirateslair.net/Runlites.htm
Does anyone have experience with the above turn signal replacements?
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I feel your pain. I'm guessing you have the clear lens cover on your turn signals and that is why you have the silvery looking bulbs so that you don't really see them behind the clear lens. I have the Roadster that came with the amber lenses and I did the switch out to clear for just a better look. For one, the clear plastic lenses are WAY more brittle than the amber ones. I have replaced 3 of them! The amber bulbs are way less $ too! I haven't tried it, but I promised myself that I was not going the buy the silvery bulbs again. I will buy the amber and mark which side of the bulb faces out when screwed in and take it out and hit it VERY lightly on that side with some silver spray paint!
Buckster '03R
spoon
Basic User

Post by spoon »

These bulbs are so special that the nubs are about 120 degrees apart instead of the normal 180. Exceptional design!
ldeijkva
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ldeijkva »

Had the same experience a few months back. The chrome bulbs where way too expensive, local autoshop asked 17 euro for a set. :S
These are not standard prices, I used to get them for much less. Am riding with the clear lense with regular bulbs. They give better lighting than the chromed bulbs, and since it's about safety/visibility I thought this was the way to go...