Is the R1200R Motorcycle Nirvana?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Re: Is the R1200R Motorcycle Nirvana?

Post by xprof »

Not I, nor most of my Roadster friends! My 2009 "R" has cast wheels, and the front wheel (though not the rear) has a 90° filler stem on one of the spokes. Super-easy to fill! Perhaps with the Classic you are paying the price of beauty (tubed tires, cleaning spokes, hard-to-fill front tire), but that is certainly not the case for all the non-Classic Roadsters out here.
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

Not I, nor most of my Roadster friends! My 2009 "R" has cast wheels, and the front wheel (though not the rear) has a 90° filler stem on one of the spokes. Super-easy to fill! Perhaps with the Classic you are paying the price of beauty (tubed tires, cleaning spokes, hard-to-fill front tire), but that is certainly not the case for all the non-Classic Roadsters out here.
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

Excellent point. Although I am very fond of my Classic and its looks, I was originally shopping for the grey standard model. None were available locally so the dealer cut me a deal and I bought what they had. I do miss the easy tire fills and the TPM (not available on the Classic). Some people aren't too enthused about TPM (not really sure why) I had it on my F800ST and it was one of my favorite options, very convenient and useful.

Oops. I found my second gripe, my bike has no TPM.
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

badbs101 wrote:Enough gushing about the R1200R, I have now thought of one of the annoyances of owning this bike. Checking tire pressure and getting air in the front tire is a pain. With the dual disc front brakes, it's virtually impossible to fit any type of pressure measuring device securely on the stem. Filling the tire is almost equally as awkward requiring the finger strength and dexterity of a concert pianist. Maybe I need to work on my technique? To make matters worse, I have a slow 1-2 psi/week leak in my front tire. Murphy's law states that if you are to have a slow leak in a tire, it will be the most inconvenient tire to fill. Couldn't they have put some of those nifty side mounted stems on these rims?

Anyone else have trouble filling the front tire?

(sigh) Every rose has a thorn.
I rather suspect that's a "classic" problem, since it uses a tube, and the valve stem comes out of the center of the rim. The non-classic uses a cast spoke rim, and the filler/stem is metal and comes out of one of the spokes.

A few thoughts..

- Instead of a side mount valve stem - get one of the chucks like a gas station uses, with the head at an angle. Harbor Freight is almost certain to have one. The do have a nice filler/gauge assembly where the chuck locks on the stem, and is attached to the gauge with a rubber hose. I used this successfully on my '04 R1150RS, which also had dual disks and a center mounted stem. It also is the most accurate gauge I've found.

- Don't check it so often. Sounds like odd advice, but - before I put a tire-pressure monitoring system on my bike, I also thought I was losing 1-2 PSI a week. Once I put the TPM system on, the losses stopped. Turns out - due to the small volume of air in a moto tire - the act of checking the pressure will result in 1-2 PSI loss in pressure. Just the leak hooking the gauge up, and the volume of air in the gauge is enough to do it. Your bike is a decent candidate for one of the valve-stem-lump TPM systems, since it can't use an internal system due to the tube. You might be surprised to find your leak disappears once you install it. I've experienced NO pressure loss since I put a TPMS on the bike.. just a single data point, but I think it might be a useful one.

Best,
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
arp
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1124

Post by arp »

I've found the Flaig tire pressure gauge works well with the Classic valve stems. Easy access to the valve stem and its design results in negligible pressure loss when taking a reading. Pricey though.

I've also found that replacing the cheap plastic valve caps with better quality ones eliminated gradual pressure loss. From the R1200R Classic rider's Manual:

"At high road speeds, tire valves installed perpendicular to the wheel rim have a tendency to open as a result of centrifugal force. To avoid sudden a loss of tire inflation pressure, use valve caps with a rubber sealing ring for valves installed vertically to the wheel rim and tighten firmly."

There is no downside to the Classic IMHO.
Alex
'17 R1200GSA, 3k mi
'14 R1200RT, 27k mi
'12 R1200R Classic, 42k mi (traded)
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

badbs101 wrote: (sigh) Every rose has a thorn.
Easily resolved with a Tire Pressure Monitoring system (TPM). I'm really bad about checking tire pressure which usually results in that ' My tires feel low" feeling a few hundred miles into a ride. Now when I get that feeling I just look down and there's my tire pressure, no drama.
Checking the pressure on the front is tricky and if your like me you usually let a pound or two out just trying to get the tire gage on.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

mogu83 wrote: Easily resolved with a Tire Pressure Monitoring system (TPM).
Where to buy?
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

badbs101 wrote:
mogu83 wrote: Easily resolved with a Tire Pressure Monitoring system (TPM).
Where to buy?
I don't have one to suggest for the classic since it will require the valve stem lump design.. and I don't use that type. I do use one from the UK for the internal sensor design. I believe they offer a valve stem lump system also, but I imagine a suitable setup could be found directly in the USA by Googling "motorcycle tire pressure monitor". I do not suggest the Kisan system. The experience some friends had was less than satisfactory.

Just did the Google I suggested.. and LOTS of results.

The Doran system has been used by friends with success: http://www.doranmfg.com/motorcycle-tire ... ystems.htm

If you're a Costco member - http://www.costco.com/Accutire-MS-4362G ... 28852.html - An Accutire system - is cheaper and has the Costco if you are unhappy with it warranty..

A review of a "Tiregard" system: http://www.ridermagazine.com/gear/tireg ... ystem.htm/ I believe I've heard the display isn't waterproof which would be a deal killer for me.

Lots of choices out there.. as they say JFGI..
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

Thanks for the links. I wonder if the screw on caps affect tire balance?
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

badbs101 wrote:Thanks for the links. I wonder if the screw on caps affect tire balance?
A bit - but not if you balance the tire with them installed.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

+1 for Don E.You can buy an angle filler/pressure guage at any truck stop.
Steve H.
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

Steve H. wrote:+1 for Don E.You can buy an angle filler/pressure guage at any truck stop.
Steve H.
I have one but it's still less than ideal given the slim clearance between the dual front discs and the valve stem.
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
Steve in VT
Basic User

Post by Steve in VT »

When I decided to upgrade from my sweet little '84 R65LS, I had a few basic requirements: Fuel injection, ABS, heated grips (I live in Vermont), shaft drive, and weight 500 lbs or less. That narrowed my choices considerably. I lucked into a clean, black pinstriped '07 with barely 5000 miles, and have never regretted it. As I get older (and weaker, and generally less able), the roadster has proved itself a reliable and faithful steed. It's docile and easily managed when I need it to be, and a hooligan when I want (it) to be. It will probably be the last bike I own. Or at least one of the last.
Peugeot PX-10, '07 R1200R, Canon 780is.
No, kid, I won't do a wheelie. I'd fall on my ass.