Alternative battery/fuel pump life?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

Humphrey
Basic User

Alternative battery/fuel pump life?

Post by Humphrey »

Firstly, thanks for Doug for giving me access to this forum.

Secondly, an introduction: I own a 1998 R1100R which I bought used from a BMW dealer in 2010 with 30,000kms on the clock. I live in southern Japan and have been here for 20yrs.

Thirdly I have a couple of queries that I'd like to run by members:

(i) Can anyone recommend me a Yuasa alternative to the standard BMW battery - mine has expired after just 3yrs use... The standard battery is a Mareg 12v 19Ah BMW No. 61 21 2 306 125. As I live in Japan I'm assuming the Yuasa product will be readily available but maybe they don't make anything compatible for the R1100R. And I was wondering how it compares to the BMW item...

(ii) My dealer is always recommending that I consider fitting a new fuel pump taking into account the age of the bike. This seems to be a costly procedure... Any thoughts?

-Humphrey
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Alternative battery/fuel pump life?

Post by omg1010 »

Hi Humphrey,

suggest you get yourself a Yuasa or any other battery with near the same values/dimensions as the BMW battery.

Changing the fuel pump is not necessary in my opinion. What is necessary however is a change of the fuel filter in certain intervals. You could get yourself the repair manual for the R1100R which is readily available here http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals-de.asp

Brgds
Oliver
Humphrey
Basic User

Post by Humphrey »

Thanks Oliver. This is not the kind of bike that I am used to working on - I was planning to leave most maintenance work to a dealer but changing the fuel filter sounds manageable. And I have noticed occasionally that the bike doesn't pick up quite as it should do under hard acceleration... I will search this forum for advice on how to change the filter.

I was hoping someone here might already be using a Yuasa battery and could supply me with a product number.

-Humphrey
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Humphrey, changing the fuel filter on the 11R is not trivial and quite a task. You need to empty and remove the tank. Be careful and note/indicate the two fuel lines! Then remove the pump/filter unit from inside the tank. Get that whole thing out without bending anything is a task. Then remove the filter and install the new one. Carefully insert the pump/filter unit. Suggest you get yourself a new o-ring as well! Mounting the same with the screws is the hardest thing as it is very very easy to kill the screws.

I never did this myself ... Just watched my dealer doing it ...

Brgds
Oliver
Humphrey
Basic User

Post by Humphrey »

That's good advice Oliver and I'll follow it. Anyway, I have a garage full of other old bangers that I'm constantly fiddling with - I bought the BM as I thought it would be relatively hassle-free; I don't need to get involved in this...

I would like to be able to find a suitable alternative battery though - I bet BM charge an arm and a leg for their batteries...

-Humphrey
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Never buy a battery from BMW ... They charge insane prices. Go buy an aftermarket battery.

The BMW is relatively hassle free. And everything is within easy reach. However there are some sensitive things like proper synch (which is a tricky task) and setting the valves. Changing the fuel filter is not trivial as said but doesn't have to be done that often.

The best ever document for valve adjustment you can find here: http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=v ... Q2ABSNbtqQ

Brgds
Oliver
Humphrey
Basic User

Post by Humphrey »

Incredible treatise on how to adjust the tappets - makes me want to do it!

Yes, I want to get an aftermarket battery ASAP - I'm losing summer riding days bigtime... What makes other than Yuasa are popular? I might be able to find them here.

-Humphrey
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

The most popular replacement is actually more expensive than any stock battery. Its the hawker odyssey PC680.

If you want to save big time go for any of the battery brands in Japan (I do not know any).

Brgds
Oliver
Humphrey
Basic User

Post by Humphrey »

OK, thanks for that - I'll see if that brand is available here. When I bought the bike back in 2010 it was fitted with a brand new battery by the dealer - 3yrs life expectancy for a vehicle battery isn't acceptable IMHO.

-Humphrey
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Yes Humphrey I agree. But this can happen under difficult conditions and if the battery is not treated well.

You might also want to look out for a LiFePo4 battery. Much lighter, much smaller and more durable. But also much more expensive. See for example http://www.ever-power.com.tw/en/product_2.html I have such a home-built thingy (6.9AH) in my R12S. Works very well.

Brgds
Oliver
Humphrey
Basic User

Post by Humphrey »

I thought I was looking after the battery well enough; during the winter months I'd trickle charge it via the lighter socket power outlet every 6wks or so. During this time the bike is stored inside in my de-humidified workshop.

The green battery alternative you suggested looks really intriguing... I'd like to explore this further but right now I'm desperate to get a new battery hooked-up and ride the hell out of the bike. At this rate I can see myself heading to BMW for a replacement out of desperation...

-Humphrey
Humphrey
Basic User

Post by Humphrey »

The Odyssey PC680 battery is imported into Japan - it has a $300 rrp...

-Humphrey