Clutch lube time..

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

BigC
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Clutch lube time..

Post by BigC »

I haven't posted here in a long time but I have been lurking :) I'm just under 14k miles on an '04 R1150R and tore it down today to check the splines. I'm apparently one of the lucky ones and the tranny input shaft looked good. The clutch side showed a bit of wear but not enough, in my opinion, to change it out. I'm thinking I should up the interval for inspection as 9 year's is pushing it...doh!

You've probably gathered I'm not a rider.... Since the wife hates the bike, I just use it as a commuter for work :\
'04 R1150R
BruceinLA
Basic User

Re: Clutch lube time..

Post by BruceinLA »

If you have pulled the clutch disc out and looked at the trans splines, how deep do the splines go into the clutch hub?

I have read they are about 5mm shy of complete engagement, causing some trouble.

ABC puts in a custom disc he says costs $600. to correct this, I am wondering if there are any options if the engagement is short.

fyi... my R is a great commuter!
Bruce B.
Ventura County, CA.

1999 K1200LT
2004 R1150R
BigC
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Clutch lube time..

Post by BigC »

Hey Bruce, your right, the splines do not fully engage the clutch hub and your assessment of 5mm shy sounds pretty close. I think there was a company up in Canada that would custom make and input shaft that was longer as well but it was more than the clutch disk you mentioned. I think I read about it over at advrider some time ago. There are several youtube video's out there on this now too.

- Brent
'04 R1150R