help. stranded. need advice

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

bowyorang
Basic User

help. stranded. need advice

Post by bowyorang »

So, I'm on my way from Arkansas to the smokies and now I'm sitting in a parking lot...
A couple hundred miles ago I stopped for gas and the bike would barely turn over. Went in got a drink an relieved myself and tried it again. This time it started, barely. I thought it might be that I had my GPS an phone charging too much so I took them off. Rode 100 miles and found the top of a small hill. Stopped the bike, turned it off and nothing. Push started it and went to a parts store. They checked the battery (2yr old odessey) and it is fine. Decided to chance going on. A friend lives 2 hrs away so I thought I'd better head there instead of the 6 back. Went about 60 miles and stopped for gas again. Got gas, took a leak and got a drink. This time is started with some hesitation. Went a quarter mile down the road and the bike completely shut off! Hadn't been running bad until that. Coasted into this parking lot and tried it a couple more times. The battery was low but I got it to crank a couple times and it would start, rev up and sputter and die. So I spent the night in the parking lot and here I am. My buddy is on his way but he isn't a mechanic. More than I am though. He knows someone that can look at it later but if anyone can offer any suggestions I would GREATLY appreciate it.
Sent from the Fastenal parking lot in Scottsboro AL.
bowyorang
Basic User

Re: help. stranded. need advice

Post by bowyorang »

We have now tried jumping it and all it will do is click. The starter is getting hot. We are now going to try to charge the battery to see if that will do anything....
BoxerSteve
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 879

Post by BoxerSteve »

Sounds like possibly a dead battery to me, even though it's been diagnosed as OK. I've not owned an AGM battery but I've heard they fail rather abruptly when they fail. It's certainly possible it's gone bad after 2 years. How did they check it? Does checking an AGM battery require a special tester?

You've checked the battery connections for corrosion and tightness I assume.

That's my .02 worth, I hope it helps.
Lowzero2
Basic User

Post by Lowzero2 »

Check that your battery connections are tight. I had the similar issue while out in Texas. Off road riding really loosened the ground cable right at the battery. It made me think it was a dead battery. I tightened the connection and I never had an issue again. Good Luck and safe riding.
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

Battery, connections to battery and starter would be my best bet. It could also be the starter itself. Happens from time to time that some magnets get loose inside the starter ... since they are only glued in place ...

Brgds
Oliver