Front brakes locked solid

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Stoalnational
Basic User

Front brakes locked solid

Post by Stoalnational »

Hi, I'm new here but I just picked up my first "modern" Beemer, a 2003 Rockster.

I have a slight issue...

First order of the day (evening, to be precise) was to go for a little spin. Eight miles later and the poor dear is in the middle of the road on her side stand and utterly imobile. The front brakes have locked solid. I'm guessing she's been under used, the pistons aren't returning and the heat generated by the pads dragging has "boiled" the brake fluid. I got away by cracking the banjo bolt to release the pressure and rode home on the rear alone. Far from ideal.

This is not the first time this has happened and strangely enough it's always been on BMWs. Old Rs but never with jappers. So what's up? What's differant about BM's way of doing things? Why do they do this? What's the remedy? Why me and why now?

I should add that she's non ABS.

All suggestions that don't involve a main dealer greatfully recieved!
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Front brakes locked solid

Post by riceburner »

How good are you with tools & things?

Brake strip and clean is not hard, you just have to be careful not to over-tighten things.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Stoalnational
Basic User

Re: Front brakes locked solid

Post by Stoalnational »

Thanks for the thought riceburner.

Finally got back into the shed and found the problem. The previous owner had tried to take the "bag" out of the brakes and found the grub screw on the lever that sets the clearance against the piston.

(I'm struggling a little to keep this polite now I'm thinking about said owner and his ham fisted aproach to adjustment.)

The up shot is that I was riding with the brakes on, the piston in the master cylinder covering the relief port to the resevoir.

So, as it's a sunny day and I have the time I'll be bleeding the air out and going over the poor thing with a fine tooth comb just in case he found something else to fiddle with!