Which tank bag?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

NAIAD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Which tank bag?

Post by NAIAD »

+1 on the RKA bags, I've used Eclipse and a few other brands, and they all worked. But the RKA Richard made with custom colors for my R11S looks perfect, and better yet, fits perfectly.

The mag bags are nice, but you do have to be careful to avoid scratching the paint. I never had paint problems, even on Ducati's with their relatively soft paint, but I was paranoid, so took great care, even to how the bags were stored when off the bike.

RKA products are very well made and the rain covers fit really well. Even though the 3 point harness is a bit of bother on an S bike, it's well worth it for the stability on those "quick" runs thru Eastern Oregon/Washington desert areas. ;)

Cheers!
BJ
Skippy
Basic User

Post by Skippy »

Graf wrote:
Skippy wrote:Another happy SW Motech Baglux user. I went for the big Trail QL bag and love it as it makes the bike yet that more versatile for getting stuff around town or going for a long weekend city trip. It will hold plenty of clothes or put al the hard stuff like shoes in there and just some soft stuff in a bag pack(better not put hard things on your bag for safety reasons) and your off for a long weekend without loosing the ability too filter threw traffic. I considder it the best buy I ever did for a motorcycle as it can change the ability to store something in a matter of seconds and when you just want to do some back road blasting you leave it off or fit a smaller bag if you need a little storage space.
Hi Skippy......I was looking at the same setup at my local store......would you mind sharing how much you have paid for the adapter ring and the bag?

Thx,
alex
Don't mind at all but don't know if it is mutch use to you as I live in the Netherlands(in Europe).
39,90 euro's for the quicklock ring(I think that's cheaper then when I ordered it).
http://www.mo-tech.de/produkt/?produkt_id=1616

And 159 euro's for the bag.
http://www.mo-tech.de/produkt/?produkt_id=1641

Not cheap but bothe very well made and very well worth the money. Only thing that was a bit fidly was the mounting of the ring on the underside of the bag. The screws where very short and I had to push realy hard to get the rings and nuts on there. But nothing to dramatic though but bolts with a couple of mm more would have made it so mutch easier. Best thing is the ease of taking the bag on and of and that it doesn't toutch the tank at all.
Black '06 R1200R
Graf
Basic User
Donating Member #: 642

Post by Graf »

thanx....i was quoted $55 for the ring and $170 for the bag........seems to be pretty close as you convert it to euro....
Alex G. - San Francisco Bay Area - Member # 642
08 R1200R
07 GSX R600 - Totalled by EX SO
Skippy
Basic User

Post by Skippy »

Yes that sounds pretty fair.
Black '06 R1200R
indigoid
Basic User

Post by indigoid »

mmmm, those wedge-shaped RKA tankbags look good, thanks to the person that posted that link! Ideally I'd love something like my much loved and much used/abused Touratech F650GS tankbag, it was the first thing I bought for the bike and has been mounted every single day since I bought it. The RKA 33L throwover soft bags look good too, I think I'll order some along with the tankbag

Re: waterproofing - maybe those rain covers are worthwhile if you are in tropical regions with really heavy rain, but for almost all other times I think you're better served with spray-on waterproofing treatments, ScotchSomething... Slightly cheaper, doesn't waste space when it isn't raining, you don't need to stop to fit it, and it doesn't get in the way when you want to get something out of the bag. I bought the raincover for my Touratech tankbag and have used it only a couple of times. I do have a big Wunderlich touring screen on the F650 though and it keeps almost all of the rain off the tankbag anyway when not stopped
'07 Dakar motard, '08 R1200R destroyed, and a gaggle of old Toyotas
motoracer8
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by motoracer8 »

I use a Famsa tank bag I got for a Ducati Multistrada, I had to get another base for it to fit the BMW, now just a zipper to switch between the two. I also have a smaller Cortech magnetic tank bag, works great on the R, as it has a steel fuel tank.

Ken G.
Mister Moo
Lifer

Post by Mister Moo »

Necro-post - but this thread covers a lot of bases.

I got a 14l Cortech bag a couple of months ago and I've used it enough to say I like it. Built in padded backpack straps, waterproof cover included, stout handle, good construction and a semi-hard eyeglasses pouch combine to make a good bag. With a few pieces of Velcro it often ends up on the rear utility rack (foto, top) when the hard case isn't snapped on.

Last edited by Mister Moo on Wed May 29, 2013 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
2007 R1200R since October 2012
Lizard Lick, North Carolina - come by
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

I'm also using a Cortech.

Really like this one, lots of storage and pockets, it's expandable, has a handle, shoulder strap, expands, and it's part of a system that includes attaching side bags.

When I have my hard bags on and I expand this one for travel, it's really nice and works out well.

Caroanbill
Lifer

GIVI joins the fun

Post by Caroanbill »

' Nuvver necro-reviver. The SW Motech system is great - I use the small one coz I'm "over" big tank bags.

Now, there's a new kid on the block - GIVI Tanklock. It uses a poly-something attachment ring that's less intrusive than the SW Motech alloy ring / hook. Also fits around the fuel filler. The bag base is rigid (or mostly rigid) and stand proud of the tank like the SW Motech. Nice range of bags and sizes - T4. GIVI quality (nothing wrong with SW Motech, either).

http://www.giviusa.com/soft-luggages/Tank-bags/
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
alevin2352
Basic User
Donating Member #: 968

Post by alevin2352 »

Not sure I see mount available for BMW.. Will another work?
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

alevin2352 wrote:Not sure I see mount available for BMW.. Will another work?
My local motorcyle accessories supermarket (Sydney, Australia) had them in stoclk for the R1200GS - should be the same mount since it's the same fuel cap. The ring only needs to fit on/in the fuel cap itself, not conform to the wider tank - the bag itself doesn't touch the tank. From the look of them (there were a few sizes in the shop to pick up) they'd fit the R12R. I couldn't test them on the R12R itself because I was on my citybike (my Vespa 250) at the time.
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
kangarooman
Basic User

Post by kangarooman »

yep, another quick lok satisfied customer. I have the Engage XL bag which has been discontinued with the optiional and still available map pocket and smart phone holder. I am staying with this one after having tried magnetic and strap tank bags.
rad
Basic User

Post by rad »

Like many here, I have had a number of tank bags over decades of riding, including BMW ones.

My current bag is the best of the lot, a RKA 10l bag. I like small bags and this was the smallest they had a year or so ago. As luck would have it they now have an even smaller one...Rats
Last edited by rad on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

I like the Multivario that originally sat on my Oilhead RS:

David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

David,

I'd forgotten just how good that bag did look on the R12R.. it's what I initially had on mine, leftover from my '04 RS.. and it fit like it was made for it. Only thing it lacked that I like are a few small (or at least one) external pocket for things like Ibuprofen and other things frequently used that I don't feel like digging around inside the bag for.

I'll have to watch for the last series one again.. I still have the big velcro on the tank for the rear strap..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

Today I emptied out my tank bag (BMW R1200R) into another bag and was amazed at the weight of the new bag when I picked it up.
8 pounds although I would have guessed more. I was mortified. It has to affect handling to some degree. I am going to have to cut back on some of the stuff I carry in my tank bag. I am not very good at this sort of thing. I have been camping in my old Winnebago and looking for an item I am used to having whist camping and remembered that it was in my tank bag. I’ll probably end up not doing anything.
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
1200bc
Basic User

Post by 1200bc »

Has anyone bought the Wunderlich elephant tank bag? I'm thinking I like it. Maybe too much money by the time you buy the mounting pc. I have the seat bag and really like the mounting system and bag. I've been eyeing the tank bag, but there are alot of choices out there.
PhilSB
Basic User

Post by PhilSB »

I have an Oxford magnetic bag which I have used for 6 yrs on the R and 8 or 9yrs on a Honda VFR ,which I was quite happy with until a few weeks ago . I normally lift the bag leaving the strap round the headstock/thingy and just let it hang down the side of the tank. On this occasion as I swung it round it left a couple of nasty scratches. "Oh dear" I thought ( a loose translation you understand). I haven't got around to trying to polish them out yet, I hope that I can remove them 8-[

Phil
1200bc
Basic User

Post by 1200bc »

All scratching problems can be forgotten with the TankSlapper clear protection. I've been using it on all my bikes. Tank top kit for any bike I'm putting a tank bag on. The last BMW I owned had the BMW tank bag and it left brown stains on the protect material, but flawless under that. Once installed, most people can't see it. http://www.thetankslapper.biz/
rad
Basic User

Post by rad »

Here is a pic of my RKA

As I stated, they have one now 1/2 as tall