New York city travel questions

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

zblip2

New York city travel questions

Post by zblip2 »

Hi I live in Montreal, I plan to go visit New York City this summer with my son, on my motorcycle. Thing is, it makes me nervous to thing that I'll be heading into this dense traffic with a loaded bike with my son sitting in back.

Do I have good reasons to worry about safety in and around NYC?

Do you guys know of a way to park my ride outside the city and use the bus to reach the city?

Is there members of this forum that live near or in NYC that can give me advice?

Thanks!
New to BMW motorcycles, been riding low budget UJM for the last 20 years. Montreal french canadian.
justadam
Basic User

Re: New York city travel questions

Post by justadam »

hi,

left ny long time ago but to your question.

like all big cities ny is a nightmare to drive in... parking is horrible, cabs trucks busses etc all fight to make headway in the gridlock and navigate the choked streets... many accidents double parking choked streets..... few drive into manhatten if they can avoid the expense danger and frustration

there are 4 major rail lines for commuting from the suburbs to the city center. one from long island to the east, one from conneticut to the north and westchester from the north and one from new jersey to the west.

there also are numerous bus lines from these distant suburbs.... you can also go into the boroughs surrounding manhattan (bronx queens brooklyn which are slightly less congested... and then hook up with the subway trains or bus systems under the MTA.

get on the internet find mta maps and look for commuter lines like harlem, new haven, path, lirr etc for specific routes and schedules etc.

or target a spot within the greater city to find a parking spot and then choose the subway or a cab or buses etc.

the city is cold in the winter hot in the summer and busy busy busy

good luck
zblip2

Post by zblip2 »

good description Thanks! I'll do that.
New to BMW motorcycles, been riding low budget UJM for the last 20 years. Montreal french canadian.
steveg
Basic User

Post by steveg »

I live in Westchester - just north of the City - and work in the Bronx. I occasionally ride my bike to work, as I did today. If you're not used to riding in heavy traffic, I don't recommend it. Having a passenger on the back will only make winding through traffic that much harder. I agree with the other writer. Either park your bike outside the City, or park it in a less busy part of the City and take public transportation to get around. Most native New Yorkers regularly use the subway system or buses. They work well and aren't too expensive. If you park in the City, I recommend a secure indoor garage.

By chance, some friends and I are riding to Montreal in July. We're taking Route 22 all the way. It's slower but more scenic and doesn't have any annoying truck traffic. If you have any suggestions for us when we arrive in Montreal, I'll be happy to hear them.

Steve