New to the gang and seat questions!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

JohanOtten
Basic User

New to the gang and seat questions!

Post by JohanOtten »

Hello there everyone! I just joined the biker gang AND the BMW rider aswell. I now drive this baby:
http://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/h ... 9941_o.jpg
my new r850r! and I'm really happy with it. Ofcourse its not new, and with my size and weight I'm looking for a company that does (or redoes) my seat. I've found this one, which seems really nice:
http://shop.kahedo.com/Seats-Driver/BMW ... S::51.html

but maybe you know some other too.

Also is there someone from the Netherlands who likes to be bothered by a new bmw-rider sending him stupid questions that everyone should know ;)? I like to find someone who can help me out with some of the basics that knows a few dutch shops that sell spare parts for not too much and such.

Also I'm looking for a (small) windscreen, anyone who has some experience with them? I see quite some people who sell the screens online but the mountings seem to be a bit more rare?
JohanOtten
Basic User

Re: New to the gang and seat questions!

Post by JohanOtten »

Oh and does anyone knw about handlebar-risers for the facelifted model? I found them at wunderlich, but they only have them for the old model it seems.
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

Welcome , nice looking bike I ride a 850 as well a 1997 model sorry I cannot help with your questions but ride safe and enjoy. Mike
moto-m
Basic User

Post by moto-m »

You do know that the seat can be moved into three different positions (heights) don't you?
The lowest position sets the seat at 760mm (which is pretty low) and also closer to the bars.
JohanOtten
Basic User

Post by JohanOtten »

I know, also: I'm 6'8" :P
moto-m
Basic User

Post by moto-m »

Ha Ha - now I understand your problem!
I assumed (wrongly) that you needed to be closer to the ground - sorry for the confusion.

Hope that you can get it sorted - it's a great bike - I have the 1100R and think that it's the best bike I've ever had.
Duc750
Basic User

Post by Duc750 »

My seat has been heavily built up its not actually the comfortable but its nearly there. I'll try and post a photo tomorrow

Where in NL are you? I used to work in Oldenzaal.
Last edited by Duc750 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohanOtten
Basic User

Post by JohanOtten »

I'm in Utrecht. So thats close to anywhere. At least for american standards ;) where did you take your seat?
Duc750
Basic User

Post by Duc750 »

It was done by one of many seat guys in the UK - to be fair I'm thinking of moving to a Kahedo which will be wider but slightly lower
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

Kahedo is the best but also the most expensive of the aftermarket seats. I had them on my R1100R (facelift model) and the riding became comfortable like never before.

Brgds
Oliver
JohanOtten
Basic User

Post by JohanOtten »

Duc750, those handguards are those the GS's? Or other ones? I don't seem to find many fitting handguards online, I've seen the ones from wunderlich and they look nice, but at wunderlich prices...
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

The GS1100 hand guards work well I put them on my 850 (1997) they are just simple, won't take home any prizes for looks but effective and around $40 + s&h.Mike
Duc750
Basic User

Post by Duc750 »

Sorry not checking this thread very often - yes they are - they need a little bit of re shapping to fit around the screen mount on the left bar I find but that could just be the position I run the levers in
. I've also got a Ceebaileys screen and thats so much better than the stock one and doesn't look too out of place either like some tall screens can
Ton1959
Basic User

Post by Ton1959 »

Do you like my seat?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39666157@N ... hotostream

Ga even bij Tiger Leathers langs is mijn advies.

Groetjes Ton 1959
JohanOtten
Basic User

Post by JohanOtten »

Thanks Ton. May I ask what that cost?

Also, Original BMW windscreens, 2nd hand, are they sold anywhere and am I just blind, or are they rarer then diamonds?
Duc750
Basic User

Post by Duc750 »

Windscreens come up but the fitting kits don't

I've been told that the r1150r screens will fit the 1100r bit have not tried it - they are still available both secondhand and from BMW
JohanOtten
Basic User

Post by JohanOtten »

yeah im looking for the mounting.
Duc750
Basic User

Post by Duc750 »

If you have no screen at all I'd look for an r1150r one on ebay or maarktplatz and see if you can pick one up cheap to see if it fits. The stock bmw 1100 screen as not great if you're tall anyway.
Ton1959
Basic User

Post by Ton1959 »

Hi Johan
Having the foam improved and a special material so you aren't sliding backwards and forwards anymore was in total 220Euro. I had the front made slightly higher (flatter) as the standard seat. Tiger Leathers are located in Den Haag. They have a site too.
Ton1959
Basic User

Post by Ton1959 »

The BMW screen is rubbish for taller people. I am 182 cm and it created lots of windnoise. Had to shorten the screen . Had to cut 4cm from the top.