Shocks

This forum houses topics related to other BMW bikes that dont have their own forum (s1000r, r9t, K1200R, F800, r1250r, GS, HP2, HP4, F, K bikes, etc), or upcoming machines

Moderator: Moderators

jacksgp
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Shocks

Post by jacksgp »

Why are shocks for a bike so *amn expensive? I have a 1996 r850r BMW with a 104,000 miles and would like to "replace" them but wow they are $600 to $700 each. Are they gold plated?
I have bought used shocks on ebay in the past, that worked ok but you really have to place your trust in the seller as to the milage on them. I'd prefer to buy new but what a "shock" at the price. Yeah, that pun was intended!
The bike is probally worth MAYBE twice what it would cost to do this :shock: Bummer
Does anybody rebuild them? Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
tiPirate
Basic User

Re: Shocks

Post by tiPirate »

There's an outfit in Ontario that rebuilds the factory SHOWA units, but it seems to make more sense to pick up a set of Hyperpros or Hagons ($4-500 range) and gain better performance instead of dropping a couple hundred each to rebuild the stockers (or twice that to buy OEM replacements).

My philosophy is not to replace them until they're broken, then upgrade at a reasonable price (lower priced aftermarket). I don't see the ROI for an Ohlins at $1,200 per unless you're racing or really annoyed with all the bags of money taking up floor space in your castle.
jacksgp
Basic User

Post by jacksgp »

tipirate

Thanks for the advice.....no easy fix for sure. I know parts are expensive but WOW this is nuts!
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Do you have any specs for the OE R850/1100R shock applications?

Perhaps a set of used shocks from a different BMW Telelever oilhead might be spec'd close enough to suffice, and give you more options for cost and seller credibility.

I didn't put enough miles on either our R850R nor R1100R to warrant suspension replacements, so don't know the shock lengths and spring constants.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Just like any other manufacturer BMW charges a hefty amount of $$$ for parts. For the same amount (or less) you get very decent (or better) aftermarket shocks. But if you'd like to watch your wallet get the OEM shocks rebuilt. That will cost a fraction of the price for new ones and in return you'll get shocks that are like new.

For references about who does this just search the forum as I do not have any addresses in the US. Only in Germany ...

Brgds
Oliver
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

If you intend to keep the bike seriously consider going for a set of premium shocks. Naturally that's if you can fit it into your motorcycle budget. I agonized over spending in the $1500 range for shocks, my first new bike a 1969 BSA cost $1450. I went for Ohlins (although the other brands may be as good) and have never regretted it. The bike is more enjoyable in all areas, I can't touch down in the turns where I normally could drag a peg and on the highway it's more comfortable than my Valkyrie (aftermarket shocks and springs) that weighs almost twice what the Beemer does.

I got my Ohlins on a group deal from the Adventure rider site.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
tiPirate
Basic User

Post by tiPirate »

Anybody with experience on the mid-range aftermarket shocks available? Penske, Wilbors, Ohlins are great, but spendy.

Thinking comparisons between Hagon, YSS and others in the 250-400 range.
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

tiPirate wrote:Anybody with experience on the mid-range aftermarket shocks available? Penske, Wilbors, Ohlins are great, but spendy.

Thinking comparisons between Hagon, YSS and others in the 250-400 range.
Wilbers does have an economy range besides their pricy good stuff ... I don't have experience with them. On my R1100R I had a rear Oehlins (2nd hand purchase on egay and Wilbers front purchased during winter sale. Great stuff. My R1200S came with oehlins shocks - obviously to my liking.

Brgds
Oliver
jacksgp
Basic User

Post by jacksgp »

Thanks everyone for all your replys to my question. Ebay still looks like a good option but so does rebuilding and aftermarket parts.
All good suggestions, I just need to figure which way to go!
Thanks again!
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

Hi Jack, I was just posting on the R1100R forum about shocks for my 97 R850R same ?'s as you let me know which way you go, I'll do the same if I find something. Mike
jacksgp
Basic User

Post by jacksgp »

Captaincable
Sounds like a plan. I goggled "motorcycle shock rebuilders" and was surprised to see there were a few. The rates seemed resonable but I have no idea about the quality of their work.
Just curious....Why do you think you need new shocks? Any handlings issues or suspension problems?
The reason I ask is my shocks LOOK fine, no leaking or binding etc. I'm thinking I need new shocks simply because of the mileage but is that true? I've heard opinions both ways, some say it's time to replace them....others say if it ain't broke leave it be. Very confusing!
My bike handles very well but I'm thinking that since I have nothing to compare it to, how can I tell!

Thanks
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I was in the same boat as you. I had nothing to compare it to! I found that my shocks seemed to be stiffer and less compliant over bumps and more noticable in curves that were not exacty smooth. My front shock didn't seem to get better or worse when I would make adjustments to it via the screw on the shock. I did my research and went with the Wilbers from Ted's Beemer Shop out of CA. He really is knowledable and he is the main reason I went with that shock. I put them on myself last fall and have had minimal miles on them so far. I can say that I know what folks say when they say it's like "riding on rails" through the twisties! Big difference in the corners as the bike goes exactly where I want it to and stays planted. I'm glad I finally put the money into them. Wife not exactly happy as they were almost $1400. The bike handles better, therefore it it feels safer to me. I have an '03 with just over 50k. Hope this helps.
Buckster '03R
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

Thanks Jack/Buckster, I rode my neighbors 2002 r1150r yesterday (19k) and really cant say I noticed a big diff.he thought his bike hit hard also. I also talked to Dave Quinn up in Conn.(just add "motorcycles" to his name for web address)yesterday and he told me the stock shocks even when new are not good shocks and just about anything you replace them with will make a huge diff.He sells Hagons (English made)for a r850/r1100r its $394 ea. with a load rating of around 350lbs if you want remote adjuster add $160 2 year warranty. I also talked to Nathan at Boxerworks in Watkinsville Ga.He has used and sold Hagons for years (says he orders from a shop in Conn. probably Dave Quinn)and has had good luck with them. I know quite a few people that know him and is known as a straight shooter.
I have very little money in my bike and am still hesitant spending Ohlin money on it. CycleRob is going to help me determine what condition my shocks are in and help me go over the bike and make sure its worth the investment, but at this point I am leaning towards the Hagons w/ remote adjuster for rear just standard shock for front.
I realize that I don't really know that much about bikes, when younger if the wheels went "round and round" that was enough :D As much as I would like to upgrade to a newer bike #1 son starts college with #2 two years behind that. So I am going to see if the old girl has some miles left, should have as it seems to have been well maintained by P.O. and has been rock solid the 3500 miles I have had her. Have a nice day All. Mike
BTW the research I have done it seems like on the earlier year bikes like mine the shocks are toast around 25k or less. And the adjustments don,t seem to make much diff.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

My second choice were the Hagons. I say go for it!
Buckster '03R
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

Opinions on Works Performance ?

Maybe asking a tad late, as I just agreed to purchase on a set for my KLT. It has a leaky front shock.
Seller says they have less that 100 miles, & pictures support that. Price....about 2/3 cost of new.