Valves every 6,000 miles. Really!?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

parkec
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Valves every 6,000 miles. Really!?

Post by parkec »

While visiting my almost local BMW dealer I noticed a tag on a new RT proclaiming 6,000 mile valve check adjudment/check. 8-[ I checked with my Bud the GM who said if your remember when I sold you the bike...yea, yea, blah, blah. BEEMER!! #-o

I think I have had valves checked 3 times. ](*,) in 57,000 miles. 500 or 1,000. 12,000, and I hope 24,000!

Naturally I cant find my Jim Bade maint disk...just ordered another 5 minutes ago. Im also going to have my local bike shop adj/check and plugs on Wednesday. :mrgreen: In prep for the BMW North East Florida Winter Rally south west of Jacksonville Florida in two weeks...where Mother Nature always runs wild.

I'll report back the findings and look though my maint notes... but Im thinking its been almost 30,000 miles.
IBA #50026
wust588
Basic User

Re: Valves every 6,000 miles. Really!?

Post by wust588 »

I can't speak for the twin cam engine, but the single cam engine is supposed to have the clearances checked every 12000miles.
As I understand it, from new they are checked at 6000miles, then every 12k thereafter.
The dealer was right.
John Williams- Staffs UK.

'81- Norton P41 Prototype Rotary
'93- Norton P52/55 Hybrid Rotary
Woland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Woland »

Service intervals are just for guidance ;)

It would however be interesting if someone who checks them every 6k took note how much they were out each time, maybe even made a nice little graph of how the valves develop over time :)
wust588
Basic User

Post by wust588 »

Woland wrote:Service intervals are just for guidance ;)

It would however be interesting if someone who checks them every 6k took note how much they were out each time, maybe even made a nice little graph of how the valves develop over time :)
Couldn't agree more.
I've had many Bee-ems over the years and have never stuck religously to the schedules.
I may have done on the very early models, but am not that fussy these days!
Probably the only thing I'm fussy about is oil changes.

deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

wust588 wrote:I can't speak for the twin cam engine, but the single cam engine is supposed to have the clearances checked every 12000miles.
As I understand it, from new they are checked at 6000miles, then every 12k thereafter.
The dealer was right.
EdZachery where did you see the 12k number? My '07 calls for checking clearances EVERY 6,000 miles.

That said - I rarely have to adjust them. I've had several of the 6k intervals where just checking them was fine.. they were still as close as I like to have them (+/- 0.001" from spec). The adjustments have always been very small when needed (usually done just to get the drag feeling of the feeler gauges so they all feel exactly the same to me.)

I would not be uncomfortable going to 12K checks at this point.. although if we start getting E15 gas at the pumps in the US, I might change that opinion.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
parkec
Triple Lifer

Post by parkec »

Picked up my plugs, gaskets today....will report back tomorrow after they are adjusted...i think its been 30,000 miles plus since last check.

Tomorrow. New plugs, plusskets including plug gaskets ( $172.27! BMW parts)

Currently have 57,500 miles on my 2007.
IBA #50026
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Adjusted valves today at 16K miles. They were almost on and required only a tiny adjustment just because I had the covers off and tools in my hands. The throttle bodies were good enough but again I fooled with them just because I was there. This was after a summer of running hard and fast in the heat of the southwest.
BTW: First time I've used my Carbtune to adjust the throttle bodies (I dropped my mercury tubes last time) it worked very nicely with no hassles at all.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
parkec
Triple Lifer

Post by parkec »

ALL Valves were within spec 33 almost 34,000 miles from last adjustment. Spark Plugs were looking a little lean.
My Jim B video will be in next week then I will do a throttle body balance.

cost $100 with me supplying parts.

2007 R1200R 57,800 miles.

SEE YOU AT THE WINTER RALLY IN JACKSONVILLE NEXT WEEK! :D
IBA #50026
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

I thought my plugs looked a little lean also, but I think that is the new norm out of these computer controlled engines. The electrodes didn't show any wear.

BTW: I have a few friends from Pennsylvania heading toward that Florida rally. Dwight and Laura Blake, he'll be on an RT or a Guzzi and she will be on a black R1200R. Good people say hi for me.
Last edited by mogu83 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
wust588
Basic User

Post by wust588 »

deilenberger wrote:
wust588 wrote:I can't speak for the twin cam engine, but the single cam engine is supposed to have the clearances checked every 12000miles.
The dealer was right.
EdZachery where did you see the 12k number? My '07 calls for checking clearances EVERY 6,000 miles.

That said - I rarely have to adjust them. I've had several of the 6k intervals where just checking them was fine.. they were still as close as I like to have them (+/- 0.001" from spec). The adjustments have always been very small when needed (usually done just to get the drag feeling of the feeler gauges so they all feel exactly the same to me.)

I would not be uncomfortable going to 12K checks at this point.. although if we start getting E15 gas at the pumps in the US, I might change that opinion.
Well I'm only going by what my Haynes manual says (I don't have access to a 1200R handbook though) :- "After the initial 6K, and every 12K thereafter.
That might conflict with BMW practice of course.

websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

wust588 wrote:Well I'm only going by what my Haynes manual says (I don't have access to a 1200R handbook though) :- "After the initial 6K, and every 12K thereafter.
That might conflict with BMW practice of course.
The Haynes manual is a bit confusing. You're right, Haynes and the BMW service schedule do say to adjust the valves after "6K and every 12K thereafter," but there's also a 12K service that includes a valve adjustment. That's not shown in the Haynes manual. So 6K -- 12K -- 18K, etc. or every 6,000 miles.

See all the R1200R service schedules: http://www.ascycles.com/service_schedules.aspx#RHex

"600 motorcycle service schedule
Annual motorcycle service schedule
6K motorcycle service schedule
6K and Annual motorcycle service schedule
12K motorcycle service schedule
12K and Annual motorcycle service schedule"

The Haynes manual also says to flush the brake fluid on ABS R12Rs every four years. BMW says to flush it every two. I go with the latter.
Bill
tinytrains
Lifer

Post by tinytrains »

Correct. The 6K mile service, means "Every 6K Miles", so they overlap with the every 12K services, which have more things to do.
Scott Schifer, Torrance CA.
1988 K75 Low Seat
2009 R1200R
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

I dunno; just about 6k ago I was impatient and wanted to install the booster plug and get the valves and oil change; had it scheduled with the dealer for a couple of days out; went to an independent; rode there; watched him have his helper do the service; put big fans on the bike and did the valves and the booster same time; throttle bodies too.....bike buzzed like crap; I could tell immediately that my smooth running bike was no longer smooth.

Took it back within minutes to be told it had to be the throttle body or just about anything else. He re-did it; same nasty; took it to the dealer after internet research; took there and left it overnight they re did everything; cold....it was better but not really; they then re did it again...this is about time number four and set everything back to "default" whatever that is; it began to feel better but I honestly don't think it ever was as buzz free as before we screwed with it;

For what it's worth; if my bike is smooth running; it's just getting and oil change....period. I did put the booster back in once we got it pretty smooth again; and I could feel the booster working immediately and that is a good product.

YMMV
Rapid Dog
Basic User

Post by Rapid Dog »

...I just did my valves last night at 11780miles. All were in spec. I did snug a couple up due to my anality... :D
I'm sure it could have gone another 12K. But all my boxers have gotten the treatment at 6K.
As a note, the previous owner babied the bike, I doubt it ever saw much more than6K redline. 7K on the tires and they look almost new!