1997 R850R ?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Re: 1997 R850R ?

Post by captaincable »

Oliver, that is a very nice bike you had there, very clean . I really like the valve covers, great color as well. Makes me want to go through this bike, but probably be better off finder a newer model 1150/ 1200 and start there. Thanks for the tip on the gas stain, CycleRob said the same thing just thought I would see if any new miracle product has come out lately :lol:

Installed the battery yesterday turns the engine much quicker. The old PC 680 still was showing 12.87 volts just did not have the power to turn as fast, it was installed July 2008. Have been going though the records for the bike the PO kept pretty good records and kept to maintenance schedule.The oil is as clean as I have seen in a used motor. The final drive was rebuilt by Daytona BMW 2k ago.

Compared to a F650GS this transmission is smooth . I feel some vibration in the handle bars and throttle hand gets more numb than the F650 , but the throttle has more resistance. Will be mounting a front Metzler ME 880 Marathon to match rear thta has about 2k on it, will see if that helps w/ vibration.

Well going to take my wife for a quick ride , catch up later.Ride Safe. Mike
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

Mike,

yes it was a great bike. Many 1150 pieces used. Wheels powder coated in bike-color and valve-covers painted in bike color. The valve covers are actually r1150 twin spark covers.

Only 4 years for a PC680 is not good. The standard battery should last that long but is waaay cheaper!

Tires I would use Michelin Pilot Road or Metzeler Roadtec Z8 as already mentioned.

My new baby is this https://picasaweb.google.com/1003408169 ... os20120408

Brgds
Oliver
captaincable
Basic User

Post by captaincable »

Nice ride Oliver, is the seat comfortable?

Have been wondering what are the less expensive options for shocks on the R850R. Just looking to see if I want to keep bike or sell and trade up, I am fond of it though would not be opposed to investing money in it if it made sense and if I could re-coup a fair amount of it if I sold. Would like to add hand guards possibly engine guards and some additional lighting fore & aft. Maybe some of the farkles could be moved to diff. bike if sold.

Just piddling and enjoying the ride. As always thanks for the input. Mike
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Hike Mike,

which one you mean? The R1100R or the new R1200S? My 1100 had been very comfortable due to a modified seat by Kahedo. The new one is equally comfortable - but only because of the superbike handlebar.

Shocks there are plenty of options available. Suggest you go for the search function here in the forum to get some recommendations.

With regards to parts/modifications, please be warned that you'll never be able to recoup on these. Better to keep the originals and when you decide to sell the bike put it back into its original state and sell the parts separately.

Brgds
Oliver
captaincable
Basic User

Post by captaincable »

Its been awhile riding the bike getting used to its character, had to replace rear master cylinder, have been experimenting w/ diff octane ratings, thought I could run regular but after two tanks I noticed it started to spark knock went back to mid grade.
Was wondering about a after market exhaust for the bike , is there much gain in performance and are there issues eliminating the cat.? was riding some twisties yesterday and could have used a little more juice, not much(was using reg. fuel) the curves are very steep and quick. Am starting to realize how well the front end on these bikes work, very nice.
If anyone has any opinions on a after market exhaust new or used that wont break the bank let me know, or any other mild mods that help. I will be keeping the panniers on , don't think Leo Vince, Two brothers, Remus will be a problem. Love the sound hope it does not get annoying after awhile.
The weather is great so I am going to head out for a ride.
Mike
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Hello Mike,

with regards to aftermarket exhausts there is no issue eliminating the cat. In reality with none of the aftermarket exhausts you'll gain power. Most will be in the range of +/- 2 HP. With some you might gain a bit of torque (for example Bodis from Hungary or SR Racing from Germany). If you want more juice your best bet would be to go for aftermarket pistons/camshafts and a chip.

Brgds
Oliver
captaincable
Basic User

Post by captaincable »

Hi Oliver,
Thanks for your reply, not sure if I am ready to rebuild top end but if I keep the bike it might happen. I assume that is what you did to the bike you sold.Have been riding with a 1100gs and a 1150gs and really have not had any problems staying with them, just like a little "snarl" from the pipes and what ever gains made with that mod.
Ride safe. Mike
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Yep, the engine of my "old" R1100R was changed to a great extent. Pistons, piston rods, camshafts, modded heads, chip, modified intake, different exhaust/mufflers and alike. Result was 110 HP/120 NM. The bike always felt great. But still heavy. The R12S feels much lighter.

Brgds
Oliver
captaincable
Basic User

Post by captaincable »

I am growing fonder of this 850, have taken it on a few 200-400 mile rides plus commuting most of the time and find the bike to be reliable and versatile . Does quite well on gravel roads, mild Forest Service roads and good on slab up to about 70- 75 while carrying a fair load.
I was wondering about after market heated grips.Would like to commute in colder weather as much as possible this winter.
Hope everybody is doing well. Ride safe. Mike
Lowzero2
Basic User

Post by Lowzero2 »

I just got in a set of oxford heaterz sport style heated grips I plan on installing on my R850R. I used them om a klr650 and had great success. The 4 levels of heating made finding the right temp easy. Grip design was nice and comfortable. Should be a pretty straight forward install. Just not sure where I will mount the controller.
captaincable
Basic User

Post by captaincable »

Thanks, I will look into them. Let us know how the install goes. Mike
captaincable
Basic User

Post by captaincable »

Still looking at heated grips if any one has any suggestions.Have a good day. Mike
moto-m
Basic User

Post by moto-m »

Have a look here

http://www.ebbo.org/grips.php

Describes fitting genuine BMW heated grips to a BMW R1100RT - may give you some ideas.

Mike
captaincable
Basic User

Post by captaincable »

Thanks for the tip. Mike