R1100R new to me

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

pdean
Basic User

R1100R new to me

Post by pdean »

Hello, this is my first post so thanks in advance for any help or advice from this forum.

I just came to be the owner of a 95 r1100r with about 33k miles on the clock. The bike bike belonged to the son of a friend, he rode the bike for a couple of years and then joined the army. The bike has been sitting for about 4 years now without being started.

According to the sons brother they tried to start it last year, a new battery was fitted but the ground cable started to smoke so they abandoned the attempt.

I have looked the bike over and there are no leaks that i can see, it will need new tires and a good clean. I opened the fuel cap and the gas smelled old and stale so the tank will need to be cleaned. I will also have to clean the injectors but as this is my first fuel injected bike i'm not quite sure where to begin.

My question is,

Once the tank is clean, how do i check the the injection system is working properly.

Many thanks

chef
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: R1100R new to me

Post by omg1010 »

Hi there and good luck with this fine bike!

Suggest you remove the injector nozzles (http://www.powerboxer.de/mambots/conten ... ese51t.JpG). Loosen the 2 screws and gently pull out the nozzle. Try your starter and you should see the nozzle spaying fuel (like a perfume spay). Try both sides (one after the other). Make sure you do not spray towards any cabling or so ...

When inserting the nozzles again apply some vaseline (thin!) on the o-ring (NOT on the front tip of the nozzles!).

Pretty easy to check.

If there is "smoke" on the ground cable that sounds serious. Does the starter crank? If not that maybe the culprit.

Best regards
Oliver
boxermoose
Basic User

Post by boxermoose »

The smoke could be caused by high resistance due to a dirty/oxidize connection

Take the cables off clean/scrape the terminals, lighty sand paper the cable eyes and re-install - a light coat of di-electric grease will help keep o2 out of the connection

if you are playing withth einjectors be careful of the TPS box
TANSTAAFL
pdean
Basic User

Post by pdean »

Thank you very much for the help and advice.

I'll fit a new battery and make sure that the conections are good, also the ones from the starter to the solonoid.

I don't really want to try and start the bike untill the fuel system is clean otherwise the dirt will just clog it up right??

What is a TPS box, it sounds serious and i don't want to break anything as most Beemer stuff is pretty spendy.

Chef
boxermoose
Basic User

Post by boxermoose »

TPS, throttle position sensor, is the little black box on the LH butterfly leading into the cylinder

It provides an output to the motronic brain & is set and checked with a multimeter
TANSTAAFL
combatcarry
Basic User

Post by combatcarry »

i would siphon the gas out, check the oil level, refill wth new gas, replce the battery (cleaning the cables) and fire it up.
libertynh
Basic User

Post by libertynh »

I don't see where anyone has actual turned the engine over and or if the cable smoked when attempting to crank. Guess I would use the drive train in a high gear to turn it with the plugs out just to make sure. If the engine is locked a good battery could get the cables pretty hot. Hope it's not but no point on killing the starter and wiring if it is.
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Well I did. I had a short circuit in my front cabling due to one of the little bulbs in the instrument cluster which went south. It smoked my entire front cabling and went into the man cable harness. I had to get everything changed ... God bless the insurance company who paid ...

Brgds
Oliver
pdean
Basic User

Post by pdean »

It has been a long time getting round to finishing this bike.

The front brake leaked and so i replaced the master cyinder and bled the ABS system, something I haven't done before.

The tank was taken to a place in North Hollywood who have a method of cleaning a re-sealing with epoxy. Looks very nice and clean in there now.

The fuel pump and filters were full of rust and crud and the pump was jammed. I found a new complete pump assembly at a breakers in Long Beach.

There was a blown fuse that was stopping the fuel pump from working. all seems to be in it's place now.

New battery and ready to press the button. The motor turns over but it appears there is no gas getting to the combustion chamber.

There is a nice big spark but the plugs are dry. I pulled the right side injector out and turned the motor over but no fuel came out....

Are there any suggestions what i should do now..

I don't have access to a code reader so i guess i would have to take it to a BMW dealer to find out if any of the sensors are damaged..

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Chef
Railbender
Lifer
Donating Member #: 689

Post by Railbender »

Just turn the ignition on. Do you hear the fuel pump run? If not make sure you plugged it in when you put the tank on. It is a black plug on the right side just up under the tank.
pdean
Basic User

Post by pdean »

The pump was not making a noise when i turnrd on the key, so i checked the fuses and found one had blown.

I replaced it and the pump started up when I turned the key.

THere are 2 rubber fuel hoses that run from the tank. The lower one i would guess is the feed and the other is the return,

These attach to 2 hard black plastic spigots but I don't know which one of these is these is the feed.

Thanks for the help so far

Chef
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Maybe the upper fuel line attaches to the upper hard plastic tube and the lower to ... ???

Brgds
Oliver
Railbender
Lifer
Donating Member #: 689

Post by Railbender »

pdean wrote:The pump was not making a noise when i turnrd on the key, so i checked the fuses and found one had blown.

I replaced it and the pump started up when I turned the key.

THere are 2 rubber fuel hoses that run from the tank. The lower one i would guess is the feed and the other is the return,

These attach to 2 hard black plastic spigots but I don't know which one of these is these is the feed.

Thanks for the help so far

Chef
Looking at the picture in the service manual the top line from the fuel pump is the feed and the lower line is return. That is also true on the right side of the bike just behind the air intake to the right throttle body. There are 3 hoses: top is intake, center goes to right injector and bottom is return.
pdean
Basic User

Post by pdean »

I've tried the fuel hoses in all the different possitions.

Fuel squirts from the hose when i turn the key, so it's getting out of the tank.

Next in line is the pressure regulator which it would appear, equalizes the pressure between the two cylinders. I'm lost after that

so i think i'll ask the BMW tech to plud it in and see if a bad sensor is stopping the fuel comming through.

will keep you posted..

Chef
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Fuel squirts from the hose? It should come with high pressure ... Anyway the best way is not to check if fuel "squirts" from the hose but to check if fuel sprays from the injector nozzles ...

Brgds
Oliver
pdean
Basic User

Post by pdean »

I took the bike to the local BMW daeler and he told me to check the pressure regulator..

I brought the bike home and parked it for a while.

I just read the proceedure to get to the pressure regulator and i'm finding it hard to believe.

Remove air filter and air box, fair enough. but to remove the airbox you have to remove the rear wheel, exhaust system, shock absorber, snip the cable ties and move the wiring out of the way, Raise the reaar subframe.

This seems a bit extreme. Is there an easier way??

regards

Chef