Cold blooded R1100R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

Danmcallister
Basic User

Cold blooded R1100R

Post by Danmcallister »

I just purchased a used R1100R, it has about 35,000 miles and it seems to be very cold blooded, it takes several miles of skipping and bucking before it will smooth out and run OK It still seems to skip a little even when warm.
Does any one have any suggestions?
Dan
Railbender
Lifer
Donating Member #: 689

Re: Cold blooded R1100R

Post by Railbender »

Since it is new to you I would torque the heads, adjust the valves, remove and clean the BBS (Big Brass Screws on the throttle bodies) and then sync the throttle bodies. To clean the BBS I would use Carb & Choke cleaner, also clean the hole they come out of. Before removing them turn them in all the way gently and count the turns, reset them to the same number of turns out.
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

Danmcallister wrote:I just purchased a used R1100R, it has about 35,000 miles and it seems to be very cold blooded, it takes several miles of skipping and bucking before it will smooth out and run OK It still seems to skip a little even when warm.
Does any one have any suggestions?
Dan
Dan, I suppose you are not familiar with the procedure of synchronizing an oilhead engine and to properly adjust the valves. Hence I suggest you get that done from somebody who knows. That would be my first attempt.

Brgds
Oliver
Danmcallister
Basic User

Post by Danmcallister »

Thanks for the information.
I am trying to get up with the local BMW Dealer and make an appointment for servicing the bike. I was a full time bike mechanic back in the early 70's and still have my tools so I can work on the bike but I am not as young as I used to be and a lot of the glamour has gone out of turning wrenches.
Thanks again
Dan