which windscreen is this?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

vitaminC
Donating Member #: 1085

which windscreen is this?

Post by vitaminC »

I was running without a screen, though as it's getting cooler outside I'm now running this windscreen:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35815074@N05/8164221049 (sorry, having problems getting the image to display directly)

Who makes it? It came with my bike when I bought it, so I don't have any info on it.

I love the wind protection, but the buffeting is truly horrible! Feels like someone is shaking my helmet. I can get some relatively clean air by hunching down, but that is not very comfortable. Should I be considering a replacement that is shorter or taller? If it matters, I'm 5'9", 32" inseam.
2004 R1150R
georgek
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1000

Re: which windscreen is this?

Post by georgek »

that is the BMW touring screen.

I'd search this site for info on other screens. There are a lot of opinions on a lot of different ones.
2002 R1150R black
BeemerBen
Basic User

Post by BeemerBen »

Sure wish I could find the finishing washers for that screen. One of them came off my bike and I can't find replacements anywhere. Anybody know who sells them? I tried the BMW dealer in Raleigh and they couldn't help.
R100CS
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by R100CS »

The screen also looks like the one from ZTechnik on this page http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycl ... del=bm-025
They seem to sell parts as well http://www.nationalcycle.com/support.html
2003 R1150R/Touratec panniers/H&B topbox/Gimbel Fairing/MCCruise cruisecontroll
previous R100CS
DMM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 725

Post by DMM »

BeemerBen wrote:Sure wish I could find the finishing washers for that screen. One of them came off my bike and I can't find replacements anywhere. Anybody know who sells them? I tried the BMW dealer in Raleigh and they couldn't help.
If it is a BMW windscreen, then try looking it up on the parts fische available on-line through one of the major BMW dealers (e.g., Max, Bob's, or Morton's - probably Sierra, too). All BMW parts are available through this and will enable you to find the part number and order it from the dealer. It is somewhat unfortunate that many small parts (e.g., screws) are specialty parts and not alternatives are not available from the local hardware or automotive shops. Often, a close approximation of an item can be found, but many of these don't work. I ran into this with a tiny screw located on the back of the turn signal. No such screw (threading and size) is available in my tri-state area - I searched high and low. In the end, I paid the $1.50 for the screw from the dealer.

Cheers.
Member #725
vitaminC
Donating Member #: 1085

Post by vitaminC »

R100CS wrote:The screen also looks like the one from ZTechnik on this page http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycl ... del=bm-025
Yes, I think that's the same one!

Perhaps the BMW sport screen will be better for me:
http://www.sjbmw.com/parts.asp?s=store& ... =2&pid=671
2004 R1150R
Keppelj
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Keppelj »

Bit of history. Ztechnic originated the Sport and Touring screens and BMW made arrangements to sell them including the brackets, well nuts etc. I have bought parts from both companies as both still sell the screens. Ztechnic is way better for information and they have all the parts and sell them for less. Especially for the well nuts you want the correct 1" depth and BMW doesn't always carry them in my experience.
jm1515
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by jm1515 »

BeemerBen wrote:Sure wish I could find the finishing washers for that screen. One of them came off my bike and I can't find replacements anywhere. Anybody know who sells them? I tried the BMW dealer in Raleigh and they couldn't help.
Lowe's sells finishing washers, or used to. In the hardware section (nutx & bolts) they have drawers of all types of specialized goodies.
j magda
TripleLifer Member 454
04 Black (the Classiest Color) R1150R
Deep in the OH wasteland...
BeemerBen
Basic User

Post by BeemerBen »

Thanks, JM. I tried them. They didn't have the same ones but I got something close.
acejones
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by acejones »

The last time I bought well nuts for my R1150R I got them at Lowes or Home Depot. I cant believe BMW thought this was a good idea. Yeah, I can.
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

As said, that is the O.E.M. touring screen. Like you I liked the wind protection, but not the buffeting.

The solution I ended up with was the addition of the Wunderlich deflector on top.

P.N. 8110025 ....made all the difference too me. I'm 6'1" 32" inseam on a Sargent seat.

BTW...mine is also a Ferro blue Roadster "04"......you know the best BMW...... ;)

Ron