R1100RT: Problems with engaging first gear from stop.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

Chumak
Basic User

R1100RT: Problems with engaging first gear from stop.

Post by Chumak »

Hello all, my name is Eugene, I am from San Jose area and it is my first post.

I am urgently need an expert advice on handling R1100RT.

The beast nearly got myself into big trouble multiple times last time I drove it from work to home. I mean I barely did it. It took me ~4.5hours to cover 10 miles. yep. I am not experienced with heavy bikes and never had an BMW before. Since last ride I kinda feel scared of it. It was about my 8 or 9th ride on it. It was more or less ok at the beginning, except starting uphill (cant get myself to use a rear brake, working on it). But last time, oh man...

Ok, to the core of the problem:

Clutch engages VERY abruptly. I mean , its working in on/off mode. Friction zone is almost not existing. If I try to release the clutch (from full stop or red light) two things usually happen :
1. Bike lurches and engine stalls. I consider myself lucky if I don't fall at that moment. Usually happens at lower rpm
2. Bike shot itself with clutter as a bullet somewhere approximately in direction where front wheel is pointing. I consider myself lucky if I dont smash in car in front of me or go into the ditch.

what I do:
1. Trying to SLOWLY SLOOOWLY release the clutch by minutes of angle per second while keeping rpm around 2-2.5k. All cars behind me go nuts.
2. Quick release of clutch - pure luck here things just go worse and more unpredictable.

Motorcycle:
1. Idle is not stable especially when cold. If I let throttle down it stalls if engine still cold. If engine is hot its kinda choking. Idle is about 1k
2. If I pull on throttle (just a bit) to get rpm up to 2k and hold it, rpm will return back to 1k if I hold handle still.

I do ride motorcycles its not my first time , i did MSF course few times in few countries, and have a bit of experience behind the bars. But with this one I feel like complete subzero newb.

I mean, all I want is just get it moving from full stop. Smoothly. Slowly. Is it possible to ride it slowly ? I even cant pull up 10 meters on red light if car in front of me moves little bit forward, because I afraid bike will lurch itself right into it.

I dont have problems riding it as far as I dont have to stop :roll: . But I guess even monkey can do that.

Thank you in advance.
Sorry for the grammar.
Eugene.
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Re: R1100RT: Problems with engaging first gear from stop.

Post by captaincable »

Sounds like the bike needs to be serviced for starters. Try running some Seafoam in the fuel, try adjusting clutch cable as well.Find a level parking area (empty ) and practice the maneuvers you learned in the MFS course. Good Luck
Mike
Ton1959
Basic User

Re: R1100RT: Problems with engaging first gear from stop.

Post by Ton1959 »

Hi,
First check that the clutch cable is okay. Is it not sticking? Then adjust free play as it says in the manual. But as mentioned before it sounds like the bike requires a service too.

Ton