Insurance Recommendation in the UK?

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

SteelD
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Insurance Recommendation in the UK?

Post by SteelD »

It seems that my current insurer (Chaucer) via Carole Nash doesn't want to switch my policy from my Suzuki GSF1250 to my new BMW R1200R. CN have cancelled the existing policy and want me to take out a new one. They promised to call me but didn't.

So, I may as well shop around. I've seen a few cheap quotes online and the quote from BMW Insurance, though not the cheapest, still seemed reasonable. I'm not going to buy the cheapest but neither do I wish to pay over the odds. I'm looking for something that is half-decent without costing an arm and a leg.

Any recommendations for good insurers for BMW bikes in the UK?

Thanks
David
2012 BMW R1200R
SteelD
Basic User

Re: Insurance Recommendation in the UK?

Post by SteelD »

Moneysupermarket.com was a hoot. It only came up with 2 quotes - one for £247 and one for £9999!

The BMW Insurance at £203 looks like the winner so far.
David
2012 BMW R1200R
cburgess594
Basic User

Post by cburgess594 »

Have you tried shopping which best the cheaper with the best policy they have?
Shakey
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 961

Post by Shakey »

David,
The field is ever narrowing! My 1200 is insured via Footman James but they've just announced that they're stopping modern motorcycle policies in order to focus on their classic bike market. Both my wife and I moved there when CN gave us dumb renewal quotes for our previous bikes. My wife has just reinsured ............... with Carole Nash :-k

I pay 230 fully comp for mine with FJ so the BMW quote sounds OK to me. I would hope that BMWs insurance people are sensible grown-ups to deal with which is why I used to rate FJ and CN so highly. I wouldn't touch the likes of Bennetts with a bargepole!

I want UK and European breakdown & recovery cover and 90 days European travel in my policies and I'd happily pay what you've been quoted for that :D

Good hunting!

PS. I'm near Norwich - does this make us the East Anglian posse?
Martin
Pas D'elle yeux rhone que nous!
SteelD
Basic User

Post by SteelD »

Thanks Martin. I've gone with the BMW insurance since it seemed like a reasonable deal. I could have got it even cheaper with an unknown name but I wanted something that I could depend on if I needed to. The best that CN could offer me was £365 which is a significant difference. I've now got the insurance since the dealer needs it to tax the bike for when I pick it up.

I must admit to being a tad annoyed with CN for cancelling my old policy when it was 10 months in. With only two months to go I got no refund but it also meant that I lost an extra year of NCB. If they just let it run then I'd be better off. My mistake was to be honest and tell them that I sold my old bike and wanted my existing policy to cover the new bike. They said that my current insurers wouldn't insure the bike, hence the cancellation. Next time, my approach will be "what will it cost to change my bike to xyz" and then I can decide the best way to play it.
David
2012 BMW R1200R
bookman
Basic User

Post by bookman »

David,
i realise you have now chosen your insurer but for other people picking up on this thread I thought I'd recommend ebike insurers. I have stayed with them for 3 years now ( doing a comparison each year to verify price & features elsewhere). The F Comp policy gives European roadside & recovery etc. with sensible premiums.

Hope it's useful somewhere down the line :)
Shakey
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 961

Post by Shakey »

Shakey wrote:David,
I pay 230 fully comp for mine with FJ so the BMW quote sounds OK to me. I would hope that BMWs insurance people are sensible grown-ups to deal with which is why I used to rate FJ and CN so highly. I wouldn't touch the likes of Bennetts with a bargepole!
I
Oddly enough I thought I'd try a BMW online quote and with an xs of £400 they quoted £130!
thats a full £100 less than I pay now! go figure :-k
Martin
Pas D'elle yeux rhone que nous!