seat adjustment

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

finsally
Basic User

seat adjustment

Post by finsally »

Hi,does the seat on the R1200R have different height settings,nothing in the manual about it......read bike specs in MCN which states there is 3 height adjustments on the R1200R.
somehow I doubt thats right.
Could do with the seat being a bit lower for my pillion passenger....

Cheers Bob
waynemathews
Triple Lifer

Re: seat adjustment

Post by waynemathews »

finsally wrote:Hi,does the seat on the R1200R have different height settings,nothing in the manual about it......read bike specs in MCN which states there is 3 height adjustments on the R1200R.
somehow I doubt thats right.
Could do with the seat being a bit lower for my pillion passenger....

Cheers Bob
The only way to change seat height is to change the seat. BMW has 3 different height "standard" seat as well as a high and low "comfort" seat. Search the archives here and you'll find a huge amount of information and opinion. For lower pillion seating you will probably have to go to a custom seat.

I can tell you that my standard height Sargent seat has a lower pillion height than either the standard seat it replaced, or the BMW low comfort seat.
09 R1200R
finsally
Basic User

Post by finsally »

Thank you for the info....

I was thinking about a Sargent seat, but here in the U.K they don't appear to list a seat for the R1200R....

Thanks Bob
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

finsally wrote:Thank you for the info....

I was thinking about a Sargent seat, but here in the U.K they don't appear to list a seat for the R1200R....

Thanks Bob
Sargent seats for the R12R are built on your seat pan. They don't have a complete replacement seat.. so you have to send your seat to them in the US.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
finsally
Basic User

Post by finsally »

O.K thank you.

If i were to buy the BMW comfort seat preferably the low version is the pillion height the same as the standard seat or lower.my wife has trouble getting on the bike so the lower version would be better.

Also what is the verdict on the comfort seat compared with the standard "plank"

Cheers Bob
waynemathews
Triple Lifer

Post by waynemathews »

finsally wrote:O.K thank you.

If i were to buy the BMW comfort seat preferably the low version is the pillion height the same as the standard seat or lower.my wife has trouble getting on the bike so the lower version would be better.

Also what is the verdict on the comfort seat compared with the standard "plank"

Cheers Bob
My '09 came with the standard height seat. I used it about 2000 miles, then switched to the low comfort seat. For me, the low comfort seat was a big improvement in seat comfort, but on long rides my left knee was too flexed, even after lowering the pegs. In retrospect, the high comfort seat would have been a better choice for me. The Sargent rider seat height is slightly higher than the the 2 BMW seats, and the foam is denser so I end up sitting about where I would on a high comfort seat, and the seat shape is similar to the comfort seat.

The pillion on my low comfort seat is about 1/2 inch higher than on the pillion on the standard seat. It is also is wider and more comfortable per my wife. The pillion on the standard height Sargent seat is about 1 1/2 inch lower than the the pillion on the low comfort seat.
09 R1200R