Back to the dark side.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Dad2g5
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Back to the dark side.

Post by Dad2g5 »

Well guys I'm saying goodbye. Last tuesday I picked up a '12 H-D Superglide. I missed having a Harley. Anyway I thank you guys for the great advice I received here, and all the awesome pics and ideas.
AHHHH to ride
karamazov2
Basic User

Re: Back to the dark side.

Post by karamazov2 »

Congrats on the new ride! I was in a couple of HD dealerships this weekend, and sat on quite a few. They're beautiful bikes, and if I could have more than one bike in the stable, a Harley would definitely be among them.

Don't forget to wave at your friends on Beemers...
SteelD
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by SteelD »

There are some great looking Harleys out there but if I had one I'd probably be spending more time cleaning it than actually riding it.
David
2012 BMW R1200R
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

SteelD wrote:There are some great looking Harleys out there but if I had one I'd probably be spending more time cleaning it than actually riding it.
I have an Electra Glide and it doesn't stay as clean as a lot of the chrome queens, it gets ridden. But wash day is a pain in about a four hour dose just for a simple wash and detail not a full tilt detail.

Good luck with the new ride, they are fun in their own way =D>
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV
bmwk100
Basic User

Post by bmwk100 »

Please come back and post a comparison between the Street Glide and the R. The Street Glide was the other bike I seriously considered before buying the R so it would be interesting to get your perspective.
Blue 10' R1200R
Triumph Sprint ST (traded for)
Dad2g5
Basic User

Post by Dad2g5 »

In a few weeks I'll post my opinion on both rides so you can get an idea between the two.
AHHHH to ride
rokinrider
Basic User

Post by rokinrider »

Once a V twin lover always a V twin lover I say!! The Moco makes some nice bikes, I enjoy riding both. My Harley buddies are amazed at how hard my 09 runs. We rode out to Black Hills last summer, I would get bored and just blast off for a while and they just couldn't keep up.
As long as it's a twin I'm happy, and the Harley gets a little lonely somedays. I ride it enough and I enjoy tinkering on it, trying to make it as fast as my Boomer as I call her. [-(
Speed cures all handling problems.
2009 R-12R awesome
2000 HD FLHT 95" slightly modified
Dad2g5
Basic User

Post by Dad2g5 »

Well here is my comparison between the two, and please excuse me I'm not much of a writer.
As I rode away from the dealer I noticed a few major differences right away not nearly as fast, doesn't stop very well and handling yeah right. But I expected these things. A Harley has that cool appeal, all that shiny stuff and that cool thump thump sound that only a Harley can make. My R1200R was possibly the best bike I ever owned, but its major setback was that it was so fast and handled so well. I have very little self control, and found myself speeding and riding on the edge a little too often. The Harley is my way of keeping myself in check(behaving). As far as build quality goes I have no complaints this is my second new Harley and the fit and finish is perfect. Hope this helps. If you guys have any specific questions feel free to ask.
AHHHH to ride
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

I hear what you're saying because the r12r does require good self control. Good brakes and good handling go along with being fast, never thought of those characteristics as a major setback.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
hortbum
Lifer

Post by hortbum »

The biggest problem with HD is that you go for a 100 mile ride you'll see your bike 20 times. I've had my r12r since may 2010 with 22K on it and have only seen two. I like not having a bike that you see everyday. Yes, HD do make a beautiful bike. just not my cup of tea.
Tarmac
Basic User

Post by Tarmac »

Not only will you see 20 of them, but 10 of them will be broken down on the side of the road!
Tarmac
... where the rubber meets the road

2007 R1200R
1970 Datsun 240Z
bmwk100
Basic User

Post by bmwk100 »

Tarmac wrote:Not only will you see 20 of them, but 10 of them will be broken down on the side of the road!
That's not true anymore. HD is making some very dependable bikes now. I ride with HD guys on occasion and they are beautiful bikes but do not fit my riding style. Maybe when I get "Older".
Blue 10' R1200R
Triumph Sprint ST (traded for)
Dad2g5
Basic User

Post by Dad2g5 »

You see. That what lights my fire. Many guys have r1200r's and other sporty bikes and have no f'ing clue how to ride them. I took a 120 mile ride up twisty's in NY near bear mountain and other riders could not believe how well I could keep up. Sure I dragged my exhaust and pegs for a while but dude I'm on a harley ur on a sport bike. No way I should be anywhere near you. To me the Harley is more comfortable and more pleasing to the eye. Ohh and when I want to have fun that can still happen without going overboard.
AHHHH to ride
cgl
Basic User

Post by cgl »

Dad2g5 wrote:Well here is my comparison between the two, and please excuse me I'm not much of a writer.
As I rode away from the dealer I noticed a few major differences right away not nearly as fast, doesn't stop very well and handling yeah right. But I expected these things. A Harley has that cool appeal, all that shiny stuff and that cool thump thump sound that only a Harley can make. My R1200R was possibly the best bike I ever owned, but its major setback was that it was so fast and handled so well. I have very little self control, and found myself speeding and riding on the edge a little too often. The Harley is my way of keeping myself in check(behaving). As far as build quality goes I have no complaints this is my second new Harley and the fit and finish is perfect. Hope this helps. If you guys have any specific questions feel free to ask.
I used to think that a Harley would slow me down and is safer too. That's the reason I switched from a R11R to a Sportster. But because it takes more effort to turn, and brake slower, I need a lot more reaction time to avoid danger. I commute frequently in urban traffic and a Harley is just not what I felt is a safe bike. It just takes too much mental involvement for me. Every line have to be planned, and reading the traffic becomes critical. I eventually had an accident with mine, after more than 15 years of accident free record at that time.

That said, I love to ride a Harley. It felt like an animal beneath. Not the clinical and technical feel of a R12R (although R12R feels less clinical and technical than a Honda). Very therapeutic on long straight roads with the thumping and the vibes. That is probably why it is so popular in America. I used to like to attack corners with it because it was a challenge too. I still longed to own one as a second bike, if I can afford to own another. Hmmmm, maybe that is cheaper than lying on a psychologist's couch...
92 Suzuki GN125
95 Suzuki Intruder 400
00 R1100R
06 HD Sportster 1200
08 F800ST
11 R1200R Classic
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

How does one adjust to the forward foot controls?

HD no longer makes any bikes with regular pegs.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Dad2g5
Basic User

Post by Dad2g5 »

sure they do my Dyna came with Mid controls. I added highway pegs for comfort on long runs.
AHHHH to ride
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

I'm still just trying to figure out why people choose to discuss HD's in a BMW R1200R specific forum? :-k
I understand your original post, very polite of you really. I wish you safe riding on your new bike.
But now in hear bragging about being fast and dragging chrome to us seems a little of a stretch for the forum you're in, especially since you claim to have bought the HD to keep yourself from pushing the performance to start... Comparing the bikes is also totally pointless IMO, no different than me trying to compare my Husaberg to the 1200R. They both have two wheels and a motor...

Personally I don't get the allure of HD's, ridden a couple of those horrible feeling machines, don't want to ever again as I'd rather drive a truck.
You got rid of your BMW, got your HD, and seem very happy with it which is all that really matters because who cares what I think of The Harley Clones anyways.
Surely there's lots of HD forums where people actually give a sh!t about chrome bits, reduced performance, mid controls, or dragging chrome thats a whole 4" off the ground. ;)
Get Lost!
jed1
Basic User

Post by jed1 »

Lost Rider, I couldn't agree with you more. Talking about HD's on an R1200R forum is just plain silly. Anyway mate, how's you partners flash F800R going? Also, its been a while now since you've told us all about your other bikes. I trust that the F800GS is running well mate, please post some more photos of it. I think it been at least 2 weeks since we here on the R1200R forum have heard about your latest exploits on the GS.

Also, how's that new Feathercraft fold-up kayak going. Hopefully it hasn't sunk and ruined any of your expensive camera equipment that we've all heard about over the years.

Also please post more photos of you grinding your cylinder heads around a corner. I agree that hearing about HD's riders bragging about their riding skills is just plain monotonous now, especially on this here R1200R forum.

Maybe one of the moderators could start a thread on 'Forum Topics Approved by Triple Lifers Only' and the rest of us mere mortals will willingly comply.

And just so we're all still friends around here, Ill chuck one of these up..... ;)

Dad2g5 - Enjoy your new bike mate. I hope you have many safe k's on it. Keep us posted on how you're travelling - but maybe put the word 'Harely Davidson' in the topic subject so those that don't want to hear about it can choose not to open the thread.
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

You got me. ;)

I sold my GS months ago FYI, shows you how much I cross post off topic.... and I don't go into GS forums and talk about how great it's replacement is.

Also funny how a 3 year freeloader like yourself tries to hold it against me for actually having enough class to donate a small amount of money over 6 years to this site for real support.

Instead of trying to use sarcasm, I'll just give you two of these, mate. GFY. :smt098
Get Lost!
jed1
Basic User

Post by jed1 »

GFY - what a pleasant response.

Ill go and 'F' myself right after I finish in my garage photographing my tyres to show you all how awesome I am that I don't have chicken strips.

I give it to you that you're a very good photographer and I honestly quite enjoy reading about your and other peoples travel adventures. Basically the point of my post is that maybe you could go a little easier on your like minded fellow forum members who like to contribute as often as you do.

Ill log on again sometime in the next 3 years and see your intelligent response Lost Rider. I'm sure you'll be just as brilliant then as you are now.

Safe kayaking mate.