Keeping 2011 R1200R in good shape while healing

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

theresearcher
Basic User

Keeping 2011 R1200R in good shape while healing

Post by theresearcher »

I recently had shoulder surgery (rotator cuff repair). My doctor told me I may be off my bike for up to 6 months. If I start the bike and run it for 5 minutes every week will that help? Hurt? I didn't have time to get a trickle charger and I can't move or ride the bike now (it was just a couple of days from "you need surgery ASAP" to having it).

Any other suggestions for keeping her running in good shape? I suppose I should try to find someone to take her out from time to time.
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Keeping 2011 R1200R in good shape while healing

Post by mogu83 »

Running it for five minutes a week will most likely cause more harm than good. If your going to run it at all you should at least get it to normal operating temperature.
If you can't get a battery tender of some sort than I would think about putting the bike in a dry place, putting some stabilizer in the gas, run it a while so the injectors get stabilizer in them then disconnect the battery and start it back up when your ready to ride.
Naturally this is an off the wall suggestion as I don't know your total situation.
Good luck with the shoulder, could be a while till you ride again.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Harry's right - periodic starting without full warmup is harmful. If you just can't stand it, get a friend to take it out and really warm it up - I'd say at least 20 miles.

And I understand the temptation. I'm just coming back to the bike (maybe tomorrow...) after 2+ months off with a hand injury. It has been really really hard to not go to the garage, raise the door, and push the button.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

My dealer's shop told me not to use fuel stabilizer. They said it is bad for the injectors. I would disconnect the battery and leave it at that.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

jkhomes wrote:My dealer's shop told me not to use fuel stabilizer. They said it is bad for the injectors. I would disconnect the battery and leave it at that.

Any good explanation of "Why?" other than it is bad for their business ??

Some mechanics have strange ideas about stuff... :-k
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

jkhomes wrote:My dealer's shop told me not to use fuel stabilizer. They said it is bad for the injectors. I would disconnect the battery and leave it at that.
I guess this might start a fuel Stabilizer argument - but that's the first time I heard that. Usually with lawnmowers and other occasionally used gasoline powered equipment the manufacture gives you a small sample of stabilizer and recommends useing it when the equipment is being stored. I thing six months would qualify as being stored.
I put a splash of the Star Bright stuff in the gas when I remember and at almost 50K no problems.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

Everything I have read is that fuel stabilizer is to keep lacquer from building up in the carburetor and the cylinder walls. My generator came with fuel stabilizer and the instructions were to run it through, then take out the spark plug and squirt some oil in there. I was told the solvents in the stabilizer are bad for the fuel injection.

I was told the best thing to do is ride it every month. Researcher, your idea of getting someone to take it out seems right to me. I would most likely ignore my doctor after about a month, hurt myself, and say I should have listened to him.

I trust my dealer. They are usually interested in my mods and have pointed things and made suggestions, but were never critical of me doing my own service work. My experience is that they know a lot more about my motorcycle than I do. The best thing that happened in Albuquerque was when BMW took away the dealership from one shop and gave it to Sandia BMW.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

jkhomes wrote: I was told the best thing to do is ride it every month. Researcher, your idea of getting someone to take it out seems right to me. I would most likely ignore my doctor after about a month, hurt myself, and say I should have listened to him.
Sign me up for the knowing more than the doctor club. :oops:
Seriously, rotator cuff work is common but nothing to fool with. I have a couple of friends that pushed it and were (are) sorry for doing so.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
ammolab
Lifer

Post by ammolab »

Many, MANY motorcycle engines are put up for the Winter with Fuel Stabilizer in the tank.

I know we BMW guys ride year round.....but have we heard of injector woes from the 'poser ranks'?
Or all the boaters that use this stuff?

I have used it in my K75C and those injectors are 26 years old and still working fine!
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe
theresearcher
Basic User

Post by theresearcher »

Thanks all for your thoughts. After talking to the dealer I have added some fuel stabilizer. If I can find someone I trust, I will also have them ride it from time to time (I am reaching out now). The dealer thought I might want to disconnect the battery, but it isn't mandatory. I will first confirm with my doctor if I need to stay off my motorcycle as long as my bicycle (5-6 months). Then I will make the call on the battery.

Thanks for the advice not to push too hard too fast in my recovery. It's only been two weeks and I am already stir crazy (and sick of typing with only my left hand!).
rokinrider
Basic User

Post by rokinrider »

Stabil=no good.....Seafoam=verygood. Run it for a good while and shake shake shake. Heal up soon.
Speed cures all handling problems.
2009 R-12R awesome
2000 HD FLHT 95" slightly modified
waynemathews
Triple Lifer

Post by waynemathews »

theresearcher wrote:Thanks all for your thoughts. After talking to the dealer I have added some fuel stabilizer. If I can find someone I trust, I will also have them ride it from time to time (I am reaching out now). The dealer thought I might want to disconnect the battery, but it isn't mandatory. I will first confirm with my doctor if I need to stay off my motorcycle as long as my bicycle (5-6 months). Then I will make the call on the battery.

Thanks for the advice not to push too hard too fast in my recovery. It's only been two weeks and I am already stir crazy (and sick of typing with only my left hand!).
Where are you located? There might be someone nearby.
09 R1200R