BOOSTER PLUG

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

MALIBU02
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1006

BOOSTER PLUG

Post by MALIBU02 »

I just installed a booster plug on my 02 R1150RA.
I love it. The bike starts easier and runs smoother than ever. No more surging. If you get caught without down shifting when you should have, it pulls thru smoother than before.
Overall power? I see an increase but at different points. Pulled onto the freeway in fourth rolled it on, two upclicks, well into triple digits quickly.
Before installing I had read a comment about smoother shifting. Failed to see the connection. I get it now. Smoother throttle coordination.
Improvements were well worth the money. :D

Malibu
bluebeemerII
Basic User

Re: BOOSTER PLUG

Post by bluebeemerII »

Malibu

+1 Much smoother. Thought I was the cause of the herky jerky. Booster Plug is very worth while.

John L.
ipokebadgers
Lifer
Donating Member #: 913

Post by ipokebadgers »

I hope this isn't too much of a thread hijack:

I received mine today from the group buy. I was just going to wait to install it until I was doing something else. But after reading several threads I went ahead and installed it. It took 20 minutes because I took my time. I went for a short ride just now. I think I notice a difference when I roll off the throttle. Not as much of a jerk in the lower gears. While that is what I was hoping for I am not sure if there is a noticeable difference or if my hopes made the difference. I will have to ride more to make a decision. It is my daily commuter so when I go back to work I should be able to tell. I may have to ride with it for a while and then take it off to see if there is a big difference. It is a nicely made and professional looking unit.
2007 R1200R
2000 K1200LT(Gone)
1978 R100S (Gone but not forgotten)
dcameron
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by dcameron »

Installed the booster plug from the group buy couple of weeks ago. Wanted to ride for awhile before giving a review. It was just what was needed to smooth out the throttle at slow speeds in 1st & 2nd. Also, bike shifts more smoothly as a result of bettor throttle response. Still getting same mpg - 42 here in Calif. with all the wood chips they put in the gas here. It fine tuned what was a choppy throttle for my bike. Stopped the "herky jerky" that was a real PITA and thought, for awhile, it was my lack of skill controlling the roll on-off of the throttle. Not cheap to buy but at about 1% of the cost of the bike new, a worthwhile addition.
Evil beware, we have waffles.
'03 r1150 - the beast
'11 r1200 - Hooligan
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

Had mine installed today on my 2007 R1200R. Within a mile of the install I could feel a noticeable difference. I had a few things on my mind after I picked up the bike and had been thinking about other crap on my "do" list when I noticed that the bike was running a whole lot better.

Before install, bike was in as "perfect" a tune as could be managed. Fresh throttle synch's, valve adjusts, and all the settings had been zeroed out and bike was running very well.

Still the plug just made it all SMOOTH. As I said, I wasn't looking for any difference, it was just on my list to get it done; but I could not ignore immediate seat of the pants feel...this was a good thing to do.

A few years ago I rode an R1150R and it had a Staintune exhaust and I suspect some other mods; it was smooth as my R1200R today; I didn't buy the R1150R, wrong timing and no ABS; but, I'd never really felt that smooth on the R1200R until today.
Neil
Lifer
Donating Member #: 918

Post by Neil »

What is a BOOSTER PLUG were dose it go and is it a plug and forget or do you have to tune it and how much dose it cost I have never heard of this in OZ
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

Does anyone have any photos of this installation? I'd like to see where the plugs go, where the sensor was installed, etc. A picture or two would help a lot!
ammolab
Lifer

Post by ammolab »

Google "booster plug instillation" and you will find enough info to plug one in your bike. It plugs in at the rear of the air box under the back of the gas tank and you just run the sensor forward somewhere that it will get ambient temp airflow.

I put my sensor along the fabric hose right up by the charcoal canister. It seems fine right there behind the headlight.
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe
Tybus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Tybus »

Neil wrote:What is a BOOSTER PLUG were dose it go and is it a plug and forget or do you have to tune it and how much dose it cost I have never heard of this in OZ
Contact Motohansa in Sydney, as I have. Ph 02 96384488

I'm still yet to buy and install one, although it's on the list of things to do.
Motohansa's price is dearer than buying direct though.

Cheers Ty.
Fjm
Basic User

Post by Fjm »

It was easy enough to purchase and ship direct from the manufacturer at the price listed on the website, and that was to OZ.
I previously posted some installation instructions concerning the plug here;
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24402&hilit=booster+plug
2011 R1200R
nephets
Basic User

Post by nephets »

Fitted mine yesterday. It has made a positive improvement to riding in low speed traffic.
Is there any need to disconnect the plug before having the bike serviced or put on their diagnostic machine?

Steve.
daveyator
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by daveyator »

nephets wrote:Fitted mine yesterday. It has made a positive improvement to riding in low speed traffic.
Is there any need to disconnect the plug before having the bike serviced or put on their diagnostic machine?

Steve.
I would say no. I mentioned mine at my last service the tech said it made no difference. Bike seems fine before and after the service.
I finally got got an RT!
'11 R1200R Classic, '07 R12R, '99 R1100R. Gone but not forgotten
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Finally got mine installed just a few minutes ago. Realize that I will now need to do a fuel-filterectomy to get it out from underneath the fuel tank and place it external to the bike for a quick change, etc. Will let you know how the booster plug performs when I ride the bike later on today.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

angellr wrote:Finally got mine installed just a few minutes ago. Realize that I will now need to do a fuel-filterectomy to get it out from underneath the fuel tank and place it external to the bike for a quick change, etc. Will let you know how the booster plug performs when I ride the bike later on today.
As Mike Miers used to portray his "mother-in-law" on SNL - in the best Brooklyn accent one can muster - "It was like butter!" Best C note I ever spent.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD