Paint protector/cleaner/polisher

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Rolando33
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 872

Paint protector/cleaner/polisher

Post by Rolando33 »

If this has been discussed before, I am sorry for the redundancy ( I searched the past threads, but I did not get a clear answer). Here is my dilemma:

1.) If I ride my bike around for the day and it gets some grime or bugs on it, I remove them with a water-wet (sometimes very wet) wash cloth, and then later polish the bike with Pledge
2.) If the bike went for a small ride and it has some lite dust, I wipe it off with Pledge and it looks great
3.) If the bike is saturated in grime from a long road trip, I will use bio-degreaser in the worst areas (avoiding ANY and all bearings or lubricated areas) and soap and water (NEVER a power washer)--rinse. Then I blow the excess water off with a leaf blower, and finish drying it. Pledge the areas that need some shine. I have never used wax since it leaves white residue all over, and I have NEVER had any problems with my paint. My bikes have looked great for years.

*** Now every forum out there has a thousand opinions. What is the right answer? I've been told that the clear coat used on painted areas never needs waxing. Others say waxing is a given (but it wipes off with every cleaning you give your bike). Some believe Plexus Moto CLeaner is better (but it has practically the same ingredients as Pledge). What-the-Hell............I am so confused. ](*,) Oh, in addition--my bikes are ALWAYS garaged at night, and if they are parked outside for a longer period of time (4+ hours), they are covered with a bike cover---so UV light has minimal effect.

Any good suggestions??? :-k
'11 BMW F800R
'08 BMW R1200R
'07 BMW R1200S
'84 BMW R100
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Paint protector/cleaner/polisher

Post by mogu83 »

If you have never had any problems with your paint and the bikes have ALWAYS looked GREAT for years - what's the problem. Just keep doing what your doing now, what more could you ask for..
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

Lemon Pledge is the best thing for stainless steel appliances, but I sure never thought to use it on painted surface. I just wash my R1200R with car wash detergent and dry/polish with a chamois.

409 is my favorite degreaser.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Car cleaning threads are worse than oil threads everyone has an opinion. Twenty years ago people thought I was nuts blowing my car off with a leaf blower - now you can but a smaller blower to blow a car off for only around $100. Lemon Pledge has been a standby on the car show circuit for decades. Some people I know would never use a chamois on a quality paint job, they say it's too abrasive. I use the synthetic chamois, but don't see the problem with a natural one.

I like a product called 'Barkeepers Friend" for stainless and chrome (go lightly on chrome).

Here's an old way to make your motorcycle tires look new for a bike show. Pat a sugar based soda (pop) on to the sidewalls let dry, and repeat. The tires will look like new but the sugar will scuff right off in the first turn and wash right off with water. We all know never, never to use a silicone or wax based dressing on a motorcycle tire, unless it's a trailer queen that only gets rolled out of the trailer for display.
Yes I've prepped a few cars and bikes for shows.

Just for fun -- and because it's cold out today:

Some of the products I typically use to clean my bike:

And some of my brushes - everything from toothbrushes to toilet bowl brushes:
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Rolando33
Double Lifer

Post by Rolando33 »

Wow, thanks for the follow-up Harry. Great info and good to know that I haven't done anything that wrong. I had told my friend about Pledge, and then he did research only to frighten the crap out of me about how bad it is for paint. So, what do I do---go on the internet and look at some forums (worst mistake was one on Corvette's). Holy S! Back and forth, good/bad. I had no idea what to think anymore. :smt119 I have NEVER been stirred the wrong way on this forum, and so if you and jkhomes think I am in the clear, I feel pretty safe. Like I said, I have had a few bikes, and my most recent trio have done well with Pledge. Just want to keep them that way.

Thanks again guys! =D>
'11 BMW F800R
'08 BMW R1200R
'07 BMW R1200S
'84 BMW R100
Mustang Man
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Mustang Man »

I have used " NuFinish" products for years. It is not a wax but a polymer product. It is made for clear coated surfaces. It will last for many washes and make the surfaces easier to clean the next wash. They also make a scratch remover for those type of things that we get from time to time. Not the real deep ones just the ones from sliding something over the clear coat. I also like S100 to wash with. It will make your bike easier to clean the next washing.

Although I have used many products over the years these are the ones I have found to be most effective. Dawn or Joy dish detergents are also good for washing. They both contain a mild degreaser and will not leave a residue. Never use a laundry detergent. It will leave a residue. Only use dish detergent if you prefer to use this type of product. There are other polishes to use if you prefer. Just remember! Clear coat does not require a cleaner type wax with an abrasive. This will ruin the finish. This is from someone with over 50 years of expirence. I also would consider a good bike cover when your bike needs to stay out in the sun.
Good luck,
MM
AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Post by AncientMariner »

S100 removed the shine from the rear spring and rims on my K75. Cleans great but bad stuff. Simple Green works just as well, is way cheaper, and is harmless to your bike and the environment.
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
Rolando33
Double Lifer

Post by Rolando33 »

Thanks Mariner and Mustang. Actually, when I do wash the bikes, I do like to use Dawn. If it doesn't destroy my skin, it must be safe for the bike.
'11 BMW F800R
'08 BMW R1200R
'07 BMW R1200S
'84 BMW R100
BLAIR1200R
Basic User

Post by BLAIR1200R »

Some believe Plexus Moto CLeaner is better (but it has practically the same ingredients as Pledge)
Really? Huh, didn't know that... I've been using Plexus on windscreens, headlights, and helmet visors for years... never picked up on the Pledge thing.

I'll throw another product in the mix for painted surfaces - Motul Wash & Wax
http://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/253

I love this stuff AFTER a good soap and water wash (... I don't use it for a "wash replacement"... just wax)

mogu83, I see some RejeX hiding back there.... thought about getting some, but never heard comments about the product...
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R
"The universe rings true wherever you fairly test it."
rokinrider
Basic User

Post by rokinrider »

Plus one for Simple green. S-100 has a acid smell. :^o
Speed cures all handling problems.
2009 R-12R awesome
2000 HD FLHT 95" slightly modified
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

I have used products from Griots for years and have never been disappointed in the results.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/home.do?cod ... 7Aod-iX-sQ

I also use Plexus on my windshield and helmet visors. I have never used Pledge, other than on wooden furniture, so I can't comment on what it does for metal and plastic.

Bill
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
nylife
Lifer
Donating Member #: 956

Post by nylife »

another vote for motul, it does work great pretty much on all surfaces
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects handlebars to the saddle.
2009 R12R
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

BLAIR1200R wrote: mogu83, I see some RejeX hiding back there.... thought about getting some, but never heard comments about the product...
Everything is a trade off. The Rejex does last a long time and it seems stuff doesn't stick to it. But it doesn't give a deep shine, that only comes from a couple of coats of quality wax (name your own poison), their is no free lunch. Deep shine or long lasting.
My experience with SS100 and Simple Green (I use both) is you really have to read the instructions, put it on a hot or dry surface, or let it sit on aluminum too long and you will have a problem. Most of the cleaner stuff has a disclaimer to test in a small area before using.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
2wheels
Donating Member #: 547

Post by 2wheels »

Am I the only rider who only cleans his bike when it is really dirty?! Apart from road salt which I try to rinse off ASAP.

When I do clean it I use a wax wash by Triplewax and dry off with a microfibre cloth. I also use Muckoff occasionally.

Really I quite like the bike to look used...It's all about riding.
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

2wheels wrote:Am I the only rider who only cleans his bike when it is really dirty?! Apart from road salt which I try to rinse off ASAP.

When I do clean it I use a wax wash by Triplewax and dry off with a microfibre cloth. I also use Muckoff occasionally.

Really I quite like the bike to look used...It's all about riding.
You're not the only one...I wash the bugs off the headlight, wind screen and back of mirrors every couple of rides but full wash the bike only when really dirty. I have only done thorough wash 3 times since March. The next time will be prior to winter storage.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

I have a friend (Honda rider) that has ridden his 6/7 year old VTX???? since it was new and has never washed it. It has never been in the rain or on a wet road (stays in the garage) and he trailers it in an enclosed trailer when he goes on a trip. He wipes it down with spray Pledge and a micro cloth.

I have no problem playing in the mud with my bikes but I always give them a good cleaning first opportunity that I can. I'm retired and have spent as much as two full days cleaning a bike after an adventurous outing. I usually don't clean my bikes when I'm on the road but take time to clean it when I'm home, I can always find a clean bike to ride in the garage if I want to ride. The way I've always looked at it is - if you look at the blue prints they never show a build up of mud and grime, so if you want it (car/motorcycle or lawnmower) to operate the way it was designed to then it should be kept clean. IMHO

Naturally YMMV, but I keep my bikes a long time and when sale time comes they usually go fast and to a friend.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
bluebeemerII
Basic User

Post by bluebeemerII »

Another never, never, never use dish washing detergent or shampoo to wash cars or bikes. Both those products are formulated to remove oils and grease. Paint is a petroleum based product so you are sucking essential components out of the finish on your bike. Regular goat skin chamois remove wax from the paint surface. I only use microfiber towels to dry the bike (wish I had a blower, maybe Santa will bring one). Not all microfiber is created equal look for the softest. Walmart has a large microfiber (2' x 4') that is very soft and Sam's Club and Costco have soft smaller ones. S100 is also a dangerous substance. On the "Airhead" BMWs if you spray S100 on the Model designation plate on the sides of the motor it will remove the black paint lowering the value of the bike.

John L.
H1Alpha
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by H1Alpha »

So, are you all saying, that S100 is contraindicated for our R12R's? Is Griot's a much better, safer for the finish on our bikes?
Rich
2012 R1200 RED
2011 R1200R Classic-Total Loss/Accident
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

H1Alpha wrote:So, are you all saying, that S100 is contraindicated for our R12R's?
Not at all, follow the proper protocol and the prognoses should be good.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Rolando33
Double Lifer

Post by Rolando33 »

See, I was afraid of this. Not that anyone is wrong, but is anyone right? Ask a thousand people, get a thousand answers. I guess the only one who could tell me for sure would be the guy who paints the motorcycle panels at the BMW factory....or maybe not. :-k All I want to do is make the bike look good and last as long as I am alive. :lol:

Roland
'11 BMW F800R
'08 BMW R1200R
'07 BMW R1200S
'84 BMW R100