ABS failure

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

r12gecko
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: ABS failure

Post by r12gecko »

Got my light coming on sporadically now. Damn...
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the war room!"
Rolando33
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 872

Post by Rolando33 »

Jaguar wrote:I had the same issue with my 2007 R1200R. The ABS light was on and off at different times until it came on for good and would not turn off. So I took it to my local BMW dealer. He said, if it was the ABS pump, it would cost around $2400 parts and labor. So I told him to check it out. If it was something minor, to repair it. If it was the ABS pump, DO NOT REPAIR IT. I refuse to pay $2400 for a new pump. Just disconect the warning light on the dash, I'll pay whatever shop fees and I'll ride my bike as a non ABS bike. So the dealer called a couple days later and said that the ABS pump was dead. I said, do not fix it, I'll pick it up tomorrow. He said that he just spoke with BMW of North America and that they said they would pay for 75% of the bill. They would get me out the door for $600 parts and labor. So, needless to say, I got a new ABS pump installed.
Could BMWNA be thinking "liability"?
If what you say is true (not that you are a liar about the story, but that BMWNA flinched for liability reasons), I am pissed. This one of the very reasons many of us buy a BMW. And $2400 is a rip-off. That is 20% of the value of the bike (depending on miles and age).
'11 BMW F800R
'08 BMW R1200R
'07 BMW R1200S
'84 BMW R100
r12gecko
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by r12gecko »

My ABS light has stopped coming on in mid-ride.

I wonder if during the two or three weeks between when I refreshed the rear tire and the front tire (new rear went on first), the changed outer circumference ratio between the two tires would have yielded different enough speed data via the sensors to throw off the ABS logic, especially at high speed where the delta in calculated wheel speed difference would have been greatest. I spent a good portion of yesterday on the road (new front tire now in place), including several hours highway cruising, and saw no ABS lamp on the Cluster. Turns off after start-up & first few feet of running and stays that way.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the war room!"