My system case is hard to open

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

My system case is hard to open

Post by R12RnHouston »

Hello, all,

One of my system cases is really hard to open. I can’t apply enough pressure with just my (arthritic) thumb; I have to push on the key while it’s installed (with the heel of my hand) and bounce it up and down a few times just to get the lever to release. I’ve tried spraying a little silicone lubricant around the cylinder but it seems to make no difference.

The other case is no problem, just slight pressure with my (now achy and arthritic) thumb releases the lever easily.

Have any of you nice people experienced the same?

Thanks!

David
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
Caol
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 574

Re: My system case is hard to open

Post by Caol »

Hi David,

One thing I've noticed about the system cases, is that if there is anything thicker than a piece of paper caught in the perimeter seal of a case it causes the key/pushbutton effort to go up very quickly.

Just a corner of your rain gear, or something small caught in the seal in the bottom will cause this, it doesn't take much. It's one of the reasons I've moved to bag liners, to help reduce this.

I've had coins, bit of plastic, straps - anything that gets into that seal - make it very difficult to open the case at times.

Hope this helps

Kyle
2007 R1200R black w/pinstripes
Houn
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Houn »

I only have the BMW top case, but I know what you mean about it sometime being difficult to open :x . I have found, however, that there is a technique to overcoming this problem: Press down on the handle while simultaneously pressing-in the button. With the top case this is a one-hand operation. I press the handle with my thumb while pressing the button with the knuckle of my index finger.

I don't know if this technique will work with the side cases, but it's sure worth a try.

Good luck!
Rick Calhoun
Zen Riding in SoCal
07 R1200R
95 R1100R
83 V45 (College)
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

You might also try pressing in on the side case lids with a knee to unload the latch fingers as you push the lock button. This compresses the rubber rain seal and makes it a bit easier to open.
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Post by AncientMariner »

I use a few drops of Lock-Ease in the keyholes and I always push down on the latch handle while pressing the key button down. Works "like butter."

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Post by R12RnHouston »

Thanks all! Fiddled with it a little this morning. Making sure nothing is caught between the lid and case (the case is empty) a combination of pushing in on the lid with my knee, while pushing down on the lever, while using the key to push in on the button makes it is a little easier to open. I still need to try lock-ease Bruce.

The rub is, even empty, it’s still takes all of this effort to get it open.
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
Ric
Basic User

Post by Ric »

Mine are hard if over packed.....so hard I've taken to insuring I'm not overloading them.
I push in with my leg on the side cases. Never thought about pushing in on the handle.
10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
docdarrell
Basic User

Post by docdarrell »

If anyone is interested in bag liners at a reasonable price click over here:
http://www.bmwgsemotion.com/indexing.html
I bought a set for my R1200R and used them this summer in Corsica, they worked like a charm, good quality at an affordable price.
jameson71
Basic User

Post by jameson71 »

When mine is hard to open I push down a bit a couple of times on the thing that is supposed to flap up when it unlocks. usually no problem then.
Jim
2008 R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Mine used to be difficult to open after sitting in hot sun all day at work, then cooling off when the sun went away. A vacuum was building up inside the case pulling it closed. Two things cured this:

1. 1/16" hole in the bottom of the case - just through the inner plastic liner.
2. Retiring so it doesn't sit in a parking lot all day.

I recommend both.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

AncientMariner wrote:I use a few drops of Lock-Ease in the keyholes and I always push down on the latch handle while pressing the key button down. Works "like butter."

Bruce
A can of Lock-Ease arrived in the mail today. Thanks for the tip, Bruce.
Bill
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

deilenberger wrote: 1. ...
2. Retiring so it doesn't sit in a parking lot all day.

I recommend both.

:smt108 :smt019
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
Kalle
Basic User

Post by Kalle »

I have had the excact same problem for a long time. Twice I have had service done to it. Both times it was the same problem. Sand got into the lock. From where, noone could tell. After having had service done to it twice, for a substancial amount, I decide to have a look myself the third time. Lo and behold! Having struggled for a long time to get it open without any broken parts, i could tell there was a lot of sand getting into every part of case - not the lock itself, but the springs and metal widgets running along on the inside. Having cleaned that up, and applied a massive amount of grease all around, it worked well for some time. Now it is back to the same. I cannot see where the dirt gets in, honestly. Its not cracked or broken looking - its just not sealed.

I can tell from the dirt on the outside of the system case that a lot of dirt gets pulled up in the slipstream of the bike - and perhaps into the openings on the bottom around where you attach it to the bike (at least on my system case it is not 100% sealed around 2 of the openings on the bottom - and perhaps into the key mechanism itself. I've had a moderate success attaching a small plastic key-hole closer (BMW part, designated the GS i think). It at least prolonged the lifetime of the repair work - i think ;/.

My judgment is that the system case was not very good - actually. I wont buy it again. Same goes for the side cases. On a bumpy stretch in eastern Europe (did a week long trip there spring this year) it actually broke the bottom attachement locking mechanisms and fell off the bike - almost injuring a friend of mine riding behind - as he ran over it. I must say it was a good case quality, as the case survived a direct hit in 65 miles/hour. But, still, it shouldnt detach itself, even on bumpy roads!

I will buy something more dura(tech)ble next time, i think...

Good luck, though ;)

Gaute
mechanic savant
Basic User

Post by mechanic savant »

somewhere ther is an article about pinning the lower bag mount w/1/4" clevice pin I've done this to all the 1150's (3) and my 1200r it's a must do ihmo