Getting old

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

rpoppen
Basic User

Getting old

Post by rpoppen »

I just got back from a 3000-mile, 11-day trip to Colorado, including a ride up Pikes Peak, and I'm bushed. Intended to camp most nights, but the prospect of setting up the tent and sleeping on the ground had no appeal so I moteled most nights. Last year I did 6000 miles in 16 days to Redmond and beyond, camping about half the time, and felt fine on return. If one year, from age 70 to 71, makes this much difference, I dread the next one. Are there any other geezers feeling their stamina or skills declining?

The ride up the Peak was especially daunting. There was a high wind advisory and gusts at the top were reported at 70mph. My bike, an 07 with a Parabellum Scout fairing, was very forgiving of my ham-handed, teeth-clenching attacks on the uphill hairpins and mud/gravel sections, and resisted getting blown over the edge. Coming down seemed easier. My (much younger) riding partner made it up on his Honda Intercepter with wife and camping gear on board. My wife followed in a car in which I'd stowed side cases and camping stuff; I couldn't imagine riding up on a loaded bike. At the top I saw a Harley dresser in full regalia without a speck of mud or bugs. I assume it was teleported.

The bike drew some nice attention. At the Peak, a fellow with a German accent came over to say he had the same bike, with a Wunderlich fairing, that he rode in the Tyrolian Alps. At a rest stop, a guy came over to ask about the bike. He was a retired motorcycle cop (Harley) and was surprised to learn of the power/weight/price of the Beemer. We may have a convert. And at a stoplight, an HP Adventure rider gave me the thumbs up.

A great trip, but I'm going to have to scale back on the next one.

--Roger
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Re: Getting old

Post by dbrick »

Roger,

I'm 64 in a few weeks, and yes...I feel it, too. On the way home from a recent trip to Washington state, we finished the last day with a 70 mile jaunt over narrow badly-paved roads and I was glad to get to the end of that section. On balance, however, the trip was a great success with a new seat from Rich's and confirmation that I can still do this.

I haven't camped in years. :D
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

Roger, I feel for you! I'll be 70 in a few months, and I'm beginning to feel the urgency to get things done while still I can. Next week I head out for 2 weeks, So Cal to Zion to Moab to Boulder CO to Yellowstone to Helena MT to Tahoe and home. I'm carrying my minimal camping gear, but I suppose I'll probably motel it more than camp. My wife gave up sleeping in the dirt next to the bike years ago. Women are smart!
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

Those sound like great trips. I hope to be able to enjoy retirement similarly.

An interesting thing is that the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Seasoned Rider Course starts for riders over the age of 40. Hard to admit my reactions times have likely already started to slow down.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
rabbibgr
Basic User

Post by rabbibgr »

I'll be 73 in JULY. Made many cross country trips up till this year, did them on a 1100RT and a 650 v-strom. Got an 2011 R1200R this year. I'm not sure this bike is suited for long hauls. I think the key to doing at 73 what you did at 53 is a combination of genetics and conditioning. Get out and excercise, at least power walk 3-4 miles a day and do some muscle excercises. As Satchel Paige said " if you didn't know how old you were, how old would you be " Think positive.
regards,Don
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Post by roger l »

My hat is off to all of you guys. I am 48 will be 49 in August and I feel that I can not do that same things that I did 5 years ago. I am hoping that I will still be riding strong when I turn 70. I guess that you are as old as you feel.

Roger L
seanx820
Basic User

Post by seanx820 »

Is there a way to freeze my age in time? I am 25 and not looking forward to any of your complaints :(

Hopefully I will be as in good shape as you guys by the time I get up there. You guys are living the dream.
rabbibgr
Basic User

Post by rabbibgr »

There is a way to freeze your age, but I don't think you want to consider that option.
regards,Don
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

rabbibgr wrote:There is a way to freeze your age, but I don't think you want to consider that option.
Just leave the head intact!
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
seanx820
Basic User

Post by seanx820 »

angellr wrote:
rabbibgr wrote:There is a way to freeze your age, but I don't think you want to consider that option.
Just leave the head intact!
someone just upload me to an android body, i am ready (and no please don't upload me to a phone)
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

seanx820 wrote:Is there a way to freeze my age in time? I am 25 and not looking forward to any of your complaints :(

Hopefully I will be as in good shape as you guys by the time I get up there. You guys are living the dream.
Sean - I'm coming up on 68 and you couldn't pay me to be 25 again. Been there done that,good times, bad times, happy memories, sad memories and friends and miles I can't remember anymore. In the riding season I'm out there at least every other weekend, I sleep on the ground, drink whiskey and will ride 500 miles to see a friend. Recently I did a 850 mile day backed up by a 1250 mile day and I can stay with the best of them across the Dragon (at least for 3/4 the way across).
I need glasses to see, most of the teeth in my mouth aren't mine, I know my reaction time is going away fast and I can only maintain a high level of concentration (ride fast) for about fifteen minutes unfortunately most of my old riding buddies are gone or can't ride (the sad part). I always thought I'd stop riding at 65 but I've moved it to 70.

And I'm definitely Not complaining.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
seanx820
Basic User

Post by seanx820 »

mogu83 wrote:
seanx820 wrote:Is there a way to freeze my age in time? I am 25 and not looking forward to any of your complaints :(

Sean - I'm coming up on 68 and you couldn't pay me to be 25 again. Been there done that,good times, bad times, happy memories, sad memories and friends and miles I can't remember anymore. In the riding season I'm out there at least every other weekend, I sleep on the ground, drink whiskey and will ride 500 miles to see a friend. Recently I did a 850 mile day backed up by a 1250 mile day and I can stay with the best of them across the Dragon (at least for 3/4 the way across).
I need glasses to see, most of the teeth in my mouth aren't mine, I know my reaction time is going away fast and I can only maintain a high level of concentration (ride fast) for about fifteen minutes unfortunately most of my old riding buddies are gone or can't ride (the sad part). I always thought I'd stop riding at 65 but I've moved it to 70.

And I'm definitely Not complaining.
I am gonna save this for when I am 65, you are an inspiration :) Also unfortunately I am already at 4 fake teeth due to a punching incident :( At this rate I will catch up in no time
TAG-Caver
Basic User

Post by TAG-Caver »

You need to keep active. We went caving a few years ago and a 74 year old gentleman hiked the steep path to Neversink Cave in Alabama, did a 162 foot rappel and then a 162 foot climb back out. He carried his own gear up and back down the mountain. What an inspiration! We should all be that capable at that age.
2008 R1200R
r12gecko
Basic User

Post by r12gecko »

I'm about to turn 50 and still able to crank out 104 push-ups, 52 chins, and a whack of curls & sit-ups in an average workout. But it's the grind of office work that's killing me & keeping me from the aerobics I need & the work-out's getting tougher every year. I need a lottery win!
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the war room!"
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Interesting discussion.

I find riding helps me.

I have lots of aches and pains - arthritis, some inflammation (back and butt) problems, usual stuff that comes with age. If I sit around home (as I sat until recently in an office) the aches and pains get worse. If I get out on the bike and go somewhere - even for just a few hours, the aches and pains start to fade away. I spent last weekend with a few R12R people (hi Harry, hi Bill!) at a 3 day rally.

Slept just fine in not terribly good bunks (bunkhouse rally), woke up non-achy and pretty well rested.

Wish that would happen at home. Had a great time. On the way back, I'd been holding back a bit because my riding partner seemed to want to stay WAY back there, and it was often hard to see his headlight. At a stop he mentioned the pace and how he wanted to go faster - so faster we went for the rest of the trip. Cranked it up to 10 over (and 2x marked turns) - had a great time, and he stayed within sight. He was happy, I was happy, and we didn't get rained on for an entire weekend. Got home, and aside from a sore butt (which is always a given - but found a trick, start the Ibuprofen before taking off.. that delays the inevitable) felt just great.

Now I'm starting to get achy again. Guess I gotta go for a ride tomorrow..

Oh - I qualified for Medicare this month, so that's a clue to my age.. :)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Post by famousperson »

Two years ago, at 65, I took a two week, 2000 mile ride to North Carolina & Tennesee. Last year it was a two week, 2000 mile jaunt to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. My big worry is being able to throw my leg up and over the seat, since I can't do the "lie-down-on-the-handlebars-and-swing-it-over-the-back" trick when the bike is loaded with camping gear. Fortunately, my body still gives me some credit for years of martial arts and a determined front kick does the trick. I do have a bit of trouble bending sufficiently to get my boots on, but that's fat, not age.

Both trips I tented every night but one, when I just had to find a motel to take a hot shower and dry out after riding in torrential downpours. Because it is a pain to set up and break camp, I spent two nights at each campground. This year I probably will not take a trip since I am desperately trying to finish my PhD thesis by December, and every second counts (in fact, I feel guilty taking time out to write this). So my next big trip will be when I'm 68--providing I can still get on the bike with all the gear on the back. In the meantime, the bike is my daily driver.

What impressed me the most, aside from my having survived both trips, was how beautifully the bike handles completely loaded down with gear--including, at the start, two weeks worth of (freeze-dried) food. The gear was barely a factor, except for noticably more buffetting at 70+. The weight and bulk didn't affect the mpg at all.

I am especially happy to hear from you guys who are 70+. The fact that you are still riding means I still have a few years left to go before I trade the R in for a golf cart.
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

What impresses me is going for the PhD at age 65. You da man!
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

xprof wrote:What impresses me is going for the PhD at age 65. You da man!
AMEN!!
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

You guys need to do what I decided to do some years back... I decided not to participate in this "age" thing. At 62.5, besides my real job, I still teach NAUI scuba and Harley Riders Edge classes at the HD shop here. We instructors joke that we are on the "Harley health and fitness program" too: Running all over an acre of asphalt dodging newbies on Buell Blasts for about 5-6 miles per day in 95 degree plus temperatures most class weekends. Happily, many of the students in their 20's cannot keep up with me diving, riding or running. :mrgreen:

I must say that I am very consistent with working out on my Bowflex machine for weights, and a Precor EFX Elliptical machine for cardio and endurance. Being married to a PhD in dietetics and nutrition helps a lot also ! =D>
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
CRazyCam
Basic User

Post by CRazyCam »

Well, to me, you make the bast of what you have.

You ride today, and worry about riding tomorrow, tomorrow.

I'm only 63 and a wee bit.

I had a "cut and shut" operation on my back well over 40 years ago now, so, while I have not been able to ride the "bum up, nose down" sports bike machines, I am happy that I have been able to ride most other motorcycles for the last 40+ years.

Frankly, I have to admit that some mornings I really feel like poo....hands hurt, body and legs are stiff, generally, very second-hand, but.... once out on a motorcycle, I start to feel better, and, when I get stopped at traffic lights, next to a suitable shop window, and can see my reflection and appreciate how cool I look..... I feel heaps better! :D

About 15 years ago, now, I got rid of my K100RS, which, although I loved it dearly, was proving just a bit too tall and top heavy for me, so I moved over to lighter bikes.

Then, some three years ago, I needed a shopping, touring and wife-carrying bike, came across an R850R and returned to the BMW fold.

I am happy as the proverbial pig, whether I am riding the Beemer, the hooligan Triumph, or even the Honda Z50.

What happens when I can no longer ride? <shrug>

Warm bath, bottle of whiskey and cut-throat razors come to mind, but who knows?

Tomorrow, I'm going for a ride! :)

regards,CrazyCam