Beakster Bash VIII Reviews, Ride Reports, & Pics

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

STDocLizard1
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Beakster Bash VIII Reviews, Ride Reports, & Pics

Post by STDocLizard1 »

Well, BB8 is now officially over and I hope everyone enjoyed their time riding in the tri-state area. May this Bash be the first of many more for you first time attendees. The weather was more than cooperative considering the time of year and location. My thanks to the Marty2 for his conversion of my written routes to GPS files, to the Stamps & jfslater98 for door prizes, and to the following participants for making it happen:

Marty2
jfslater98
Frank1150r
CycleRob
Daryl Stamp and Gabriele(MLW)
ctRider & son(Kevin)
Dark Knight & Stephanie(the honeymooners)
Mitchell
rdsmith3
STDocLizard1

Please feel free to post pics, ride reports, daily musings, reflections, and any brown trout warnings in this thread.

Doc
Last edited by STDocLizard1 on Sun May 15, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Re: Beakster Bash VIII Reviews, Ride Reports, & Pics

Post by STDocLizard1 »

Thanks to rdsmith3 for the first review with pics;

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22804
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

I missed a great one ...Again! :evil:
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

BBVIII Re-Cap:

Wednesday, 5/11: Going Up The Country

I left the house at 2pm on Wednesday and motored up through Pennsylvania after crossing the Delaware River at Belvidere. A nice route through the Delaware Water Gap Recreation Area had me checking in around 4pm. Apparently being the first to arrive, I got settled in, unpacked, caught a little nap and rode down to the Milford Diner for dinner at 7pm. CycleRob called and told me of his ETA and to pick up a quart of milk (2%). A few people wandered in during my absence as I saw some old friends and met some new ones. We agreed to meet at 9am, ride to breakfast, and take in the Pocono Mountain/Jersey loop.

Thursday, 5/12: This is New Jersey?

A short romp over the Milford Bridge into Jersey dropped us off for fuel at the bottom of Route 23. CycleRob, Frank1150r, the Stamps, and I motored up over the sweepers at High Point (where NY, NJ, and Pa converge) for a trip to the Monument and the opportunity to catch a spectacular view from the summit. Breakfast at Elias Cole in Colesville, NJ was just what the crew needed to fuel the furnace. No one left hungry. The trip down through the Garden State was full of good roads relatively devoid of traffic with only a couple of pokey folks hindering our flight. CycleRob split for Washington Cycle Works(his old shop) and the remainder of the group headed for Skoogy's Deli in Belvidere for short respite and pit stop. A photo op at the Bridge over the Delaware River, a nice run through the carousel on River Road, and a course up through Delaware Scenic Drive deposited us at the overlook at the Delaware Water Gap. The Pocono Mountains were next on the route as we made our way up to the Promised Land, over to Hawley and a chance to shred some asphalt on PA 590. the last leg was a strong run down Pa 434, Pa 739, and a really enjoyable strafing of the curves on Log Tavern Road.

Arriving at the the Motel, we agreed on dinner at seven as Steve Mitchell had just checked in. The Erie Hotel was the backdrop for dinner with a terrific atmosphere, the outdoor Tiki Bar, and the arrival of the "Sin Sisters" to tend to the bar patrons(two gals dressed as nuns). Not opting for the nightlife in Port Jervis, we headed back for a good night's rest and agreed to meet for breakfast in the morning.

Friday, 5/13: Back to the Garden

rdsmith3, jfslater98, and ctRider had arrived by dawn and got in for a photo op that morning. We departed the motel and headed for Tom & Arlene's in Port Jervis. A little traffic backup delayed our arrival due to the Bridge being one lane, but it was only a short pause. Breakfast was great with everyone in attendance. Marty2, ctRider, and CycleRob planned on the Catskill Route as rdsmith3, Frank1150r, the Stamps, jfslater98, and I selected the scenic route ending at Bethel Woods with a Museum tour. We made a mad dash for the Interstate so as to not have to deal with the Port Jervis bridge traffic again and give us a chance to savor Log Tavern Road in the opposite direction. Pa 739 dropped us down at the Dingman's Ferry Bridge for our first photo op and pit stop. Paying the toll, we ventured into the Garden State for a romp up Deckertown Turnpike and connected to CR 519. Heading into New York and west on US 6 found us in traffic at the Bridge again so a u-turn was in order with a short sprint on the I 84 to the first exit in Matamoras and then on to the Hawks Nest. We paused for another photo op at one of the turnouts and then headed up through Glen Spey, Eldred, and finally arrived in White Lake. There was a little gravel on the NY 55 as the GS Riders were grinning when we stopped at the Woodstock Monument. Another photo op, then on to the museum for the tour.
The museum is not just about the concert , in fact it takes you a trip through time from 1960-1969 embracing the social and cultural changes of the decade. Lots of video, stare & read, and a ride on the magic bus, left us at the tiered theater for the concert experience of a 25 minute film. A pass through the gift shop and we headed southbound toward Barryville for a ride across the Roebling Bridge and a short rest. Pa 590, Pa 434 and US 6 deposited our flight back at the motel where we agreed on dinner at 7pm. Dark Knight and Ms. Stephanie(the Honeymooners)had arrived to join us for dinner.

Apple Valley Restaurant served up some very fine vittles for the famished horde and we caught some some ice cream down at the local Tastee Freeze on the way back to the Myer Motel. A little B.S. and some shuteye was in order to end the day.

Saturday, 5/14: The Scramble

Breakfast at the Milford Diner was a great way to start the day with a little humor from our talented waitress. ctRider and son(Kevin) decided to take a sojourn with frank1150r out to western Sullivan County. The Stamps went on a bike hunting expedition to Montclair, Marty2 went off to explore some dirt with CycleRob motoring out to Orange County Choppers. The honeymooners decided upon a slow leisurely pace in search of some sights, sounds, and a fragrance of the area. Steve Mitchell and I headed for Jersey. There was mist in the air from the heavy humidity that seemed to collect on my faceshield, but hardly anything of consequence.
Steve and I hooked up with some twisties and motored down the infamous Shades of Death Road with a quick pass by Ghost Lake. Meal #2 was provided courtesy of Uncle Buck's Diner in Belvidere as we headed across the Delaware River where a passing shower had just soaked the roads. Opting for a drier surface, we came back to Jersey and a run up to Stokes State Forest with a stop at Sunrise Mountain for an eastern view of Vernon Valley. The day ended back at the Motel where we all assembled for dinner with a walk down to Balch's Seafood Restaurant. Swapping stories about the Bash lubricated with some of your favorite beverage seemed to be the way to go for the final evening. The meal was outstanding, and the crew returned to the Motel for door prizes and continuing conversation fueled with some vino called "Red Zeppelin.".

Sunday, 5/15: Brunch

We awoke to the pitter patter of raindrops falling on the A/C. After a few goodbyes at the Motel, marty2, jfslater98, Steve Mitchell, the Stamps, and I rode over to Mt. Haven Resort for their Sunday Brunch which is touted to the best in Pike County. This spread was absolutely outstanding as there were so many choices it was impossible to fit everything on one plate. Multiple runs to the food tables with eggs to order left us with barely enough slack to zipper our jackets. We shall return.
The trip home for Marty2 and I was uneventful but moist as we made our way down through the Pennsylvania side of the Delaware Water Gap Recreation Area. In retrospect, I think some of the attendees got a much different opinion of the Tri-State area; especially New Jersey. It was great to see everyone and meet some new faces. Looking forward to the next Bash wherever that may be.

Doc
Last edited by STDocLizard1 on Tue May 24, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Nice report....glad everyone was safe and had a good time. Wished that I could have made it, but I did find some great roads in western MD and WV as I was visiting an old friend in Oakland, MD.
Maybe next year!
Last edited by Buckster on Mon May 23, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buckster '03R
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

The week of the bash was the best weather we've had in this part of the country in many months. It seems like it has rained every day since then, too.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
Daryl_stamp
Lifer

Post by Daryl_stamp »

Best Bash Ever; thanks Doc for good venue; great planning & great routes =D> =D> =D>
Thanks to fellow attendees & the good weather the ride down, the rides around & the ride back were all a blast.
Lots of smiles for everyone; I even feel a little more Liberal now; but still looking for the right sticker to balance out my sidecases.
The face of someone who's had some of the GS Kool Aid...