Fuel Pump STRAINER!!!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

TicTac50
Lifer
Donating Member #: 586

Fuel Pump STRAINER!!!

Post by TicTac50 »

After I was not able to start my bike, I realized that the pressure from the fuel pump was very LOW. :shock:
The gas tank came off and I found out that the hose from the fuel filter to the pump went south.
I got new hoses, a fuel filter and a new fuel pump strainer, since mine had a crack in the seam at the end of it.
How do you take the strainer off the fuel pump??? Do I need a special tool???
The strainer is attached to the plastic part of the fuel pump by a steel cramped ring.
I do not wish to damage the fuel pump and was thinking of just stitching up the seam at the end of the strainer.
Anybody out there took the strainer off with no problems, please give me a holler. [-o<
Thanks.
Lifetime Member #586
2002 R1150R
2004 R1150 ABS
2003 F650 CSA
PRESSING "1" FOR ENGLISH!
goomicoo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Fuel Pump STRAINER!!!

Post by goomicoo »

i just did a strainerechtomy on my RT. You'll just have to wedge it off with a small screwdriver or pick.
Note: You will destroy the vibration dampener on the bottom of the pump when you do this. (Don't ask me how I know)
You'll have to get another from the dealer for about 14 bucks and a new strainer can be had here for less than 10 bucks as opposed to the dealer item for $38 :shock:
http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BMW_K_ ... ff-233.htm
Oh, and take a good look at the hoses while you're in there, plus the right type of clamps, new O ring, blah blah blah.
Have Fun!
Atlantic Blue
2002 R1150R
The bumble bee's gone
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Make sure you use R10 gasoline hose for the piece inside the tank otherwise it will deteriorate in time and you'll have to do the job all over again. R9 for anything external to the tank. Good luck.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

+1 on what Boxerman says. It will say R10 or R9 on it. DO NOT skimp on this. Fatal Flaw if you do.

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates