12k Service Cost

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Re: 12k Service Cost

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Re price--I brought Stella! in for the 12k service, not a la carte, and I remember it being just under 500, but that was a long time ago. I brought her in for internet bought tires to be installed and that was 1.5 hours of labor or about 125-130, iirc.
Can't remember what the abs bleed was, and I am due one.

She has just under 70 k miles now and has never run better. I have done my own service since 18k.
The usual things can be done easily and cheaply and ON YOUR OWN SCHEDULE and at your house. When your dealer is 75 miles away, as mine is, that is invaluable.

I have not learned how to do the abs and clutch bleeds, but am tempted to learn. Fully comfortable with valve adj and TBS and oils, and filter, added accessory fuse panel, change my own tires (now), alt belt, starter, etc.

It's therapy. It saves $$$$.
But, I second what Cycle Rob said, it is not for everyone. Some people are klutzes with tools and you work in some rather tight places, near finely finished areas. You need the right tools, you cannot make do, and you cannot exhibit too much care in twisting and turning things. It is possible to strip something mission critical and expensive. This should not scare you away, but just a warning to be careful.

Most people can do it just fine and are happy they do.

of course, ymmv.

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
macx
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by macx »

Strangely enough, I found my local dealer to be priced the same as
the internet tire discounters for the "latest & greatest" new tire on
the market, and when I bought from him it was only $15 for mount &
balance. Definitely cheaper even if I could have bought it cheaper
online, but then paid shipping & lots more for the labor which, in that
case, I wouldn't begrudge the dealer.
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

Dr. Strangelove wrote: I have not learned how to do the abs and clutch bleeds, but am tempted to learn. Fully comfortable with valve adj and TBS and oils, and filter, added accessory fuse panel, change my own tires (now), alt belt, starter, etc.
John,

The clutch and abs bleed is really not difficult to do. I've done 6 on my bike and have saved lots of $$$ each time. I'll be posting a video soon on the procedure to show just how easy the task is. I think many people are afraid to do it but once they see the procedure, they will gain the confidence to do their own.
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Thanks, Michael.

I definitely look forward to that video. Hope this finds you well.

How long does it take to do, excluding tank removal and installation...ballpark?

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

Excluding tank removal/install, about 2 hours for your first time. Mostly depends on how dirty your fluid is and if you have any stubborn air bubbles to contend with. Also, part of the bleed procedure involves putting wood shims between the brake pads to push the pistons so that adds to the time investment. Having speed bleeders installed makes the process much easier and quicker.
eduardobelmonte
Basic User

Post by eduardobelmonte »

prachster wrote: Any idea where to buy cheap TwinMax?
Prachster.

I did research price + delivery cost.
The winner was A&S motorcycle parts.
$105 + $9.97 flat shipping.

If you can add something extra, then "shipping wise" the price would be even better.
Which I did myself.

Using the TwinMax is simple.
You need to feel how it works though.
It justs measure which side of the engine is doing more than the other side.
One thing I did to understand and feel this behavior was to suck one of the hoses of the TwinMax, (yes with your mouth). You'll see how the pointer moves to one side, then switch the hose you suck up, and you'll see the pointer go the other way.
Now in the reality it's the engine that sucks both of them simultaneously.
What you try to generate is a situation in which the sucking on both sides are equal (and then the pointer stays at zero).
You do that by making one side run faster by turning a "air screw" counterclockwise and clockwise if you want it to run slower (suck less).
Once you have them both sucking evenly, then you check the engine speed to be 1100 rpms.
if it is not there, then you must adjust both sides by the same amount either making it go slower or faster as rpm indicate is needed.
This is for the ralenty adjustment, that's when you are not touching the throttle at all.
Similar criteria applies when you do this for 3000 rpm when throttle is turned to get it.
The adjustments in this last case involve not the "air screw anymore", but the cables that pulls the flywheels that make the engine reach that 3000 rpm speed.

Explanations that come with the TwinMax are good.
They are short, and precise.

Best luck for you all. :D

Eduardo.
vcarlew
Basic User

Post by vcarlew »

I got a new Twinmax for $89 at California Sport touring (http://www.casporttouring.com/). I went to the store so I didn't pay shipping.
2004 R1150R

Nowhereistheproof
goomicoo
Basic User

Post by goomicoo »

I just looked at the receipt for a 6K service on the '02 I just got. The PO paid $1357.26 at A&S Cycles :shock:
Now I know why he quit riding it and sold it. Lucky me.
Atlantic Blue
2002 R1150R
The bumble bee's gone
Daryl_stamp
Lifer

Post by Daryl_stamp »

+ 1 for doing your own service.
+ 1 for recognizing that there are some mechanical klutzes that should not service their own bikes
+ 1 for an insightful, experienced & well intentioned Internet group that provides invaluable advice & comment

I suspect that few people here are genuine klutzes. I can't think of a definitive measure of 'klutze-ness' but a good indicator would be to consider if you've ever mangled a bolt/nut while assembling/dis-assembling something and started swearing/throwing/yelling etc. It's especially easy to do in aluminum and can turn into quite the ballbuster when the ID thread is hosed on a non-removable (or not easily removable)component. Caution, patience, calmness are very favorable attributes when it comes to doing your own work....if they're difficult to obtain in your garage then doing your own service may not be for you.

DLS
gaijin
Lifer
Donating Member #: 590

Post by gaijin »

I am currently living in Japan, land of high cost of living. However, I was surprised at the cost of having my rear brake pads changed, Yen500 ($6.50) labor and Y2500 ($30.00) on pads, every two years.
Front and Rear tire changed at $80.00, included balance (every two years).
FD, Transmission oil change at $10.00, yearly
Engine oil and filter (twice a year) changed at $30.00 included oil filter, using my own old (15W-50 Mobil 1) since oil is $25.00 per quart.

These are just samples of the cost of having my dealer doing all the works. Are these sound reasonable to you guys?

ABS servicing is estimated at $200.00, pending scheduling of taken my bike to dealer, every two years.

Reading these posted, US dealers are stealing your money, $100.00 per hour.
2002 R1150R (Lifer # 590)
1999 1200 Sportster Sport
IBA#33025