The CenterStand goes too far !

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

The CenterStand goes too far !

Post by CycleRob »

On day one after I rode it home, I took this pic below.

Notice how far the CenterStand goes over center. The stand's foot lever is touching the cement! I put up with the anomaly for a few months, then it got taken apart to make it better. It's a simple matter of removing the center stand then the stop bolts, adding the right thickness and diameter washers and putting it all back together. You can't just remove the stop bolts as the stand blocks their removal. The washers extend the stop bolts so the center stand does not travel as far. After first unsuccessfully trying a lockwasher under each bolt, I had to find washers about half as thick. With the lockwashers, the stand barely went over center. It was too close to straight-up-n-down. After finding two .050" thick washers, they had to be ground down to a smaller OD by a bench grinder so they would fit up inside the cast tunnel. Just put them on an 8mm bolt shank and hold them so the bench grinder wheel spins them about 80,000 RPM. They wear away fast and one actually EXPLODED across the room before it got down to the right size, so be careful and stay out of the radial line-of-fire!!! :shock:

To fix the stand so it no longer goes too far over center, you must remove it. That allows you access to remove the 2 stand stop bolts with a T-45 Torx.

To remove the stand against the strong spring's tension, loosen the right side bolt about 4 turns first. You'll need both the 16mm box wrench and T-50 Torx to loosen the pivot bolts. I found it easier initially to just hold the Torx and turn the boxwrench to loosen them. Then remove the left pivot bolt while pulling the footbar rearward. It takes a solid grip and a very strong rearward pull to neutralize the stand's spring tension so the left side bolt can be removed. Once it's out, the right side pivot bolt comes out real easy. Naturally, reassembly is the reverse order.

Now it looks like this:

Notice how the centerstand's foot lever now has a finger thickness air gap to the cement now. It's prolly a good idea to not sit on the bike or rock it off the center stand from the seat, standing on the footpegs. [-X The owner's manual even says don't do that. My bad. 8-[
It was time to clean and regrease the centerstandpivot bushings anyway.

While you have it apart, drill the centerstand pivot bolts to add on these simple and very inexpensive retaining clips from Lowe's.

EDIT: Change to faster, better, less invasive photo provider.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--