Big Ride Loop to West Coast

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Big Ride Loop to West Coast

Post by Boxer »

I'm leaving on the little GS this weekend, headed straight across the country to So. Cal to visit my daughter and ride the western coast highways. This ride will take me up the coast through San Francisco almost to the top of Oregon. From there I'll ride back in a generally southeasterly direction, stopping in Ouray to visit my nephew, then on home back across the wide open plains. I figure 3 maybe 4 weeks on the road. ..and minimal interstate highways.

For those interested, I'll be posting photos and ride reports along the way at my Slablog site, just so I have a central location where all my many admirers can go to see where I've been. I think I may have as many as 4 regular readers by now, but check there now and then 'cause I just won't have time to post at both places.

That's: http://www.slablog.net
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Big Ride Loop to West Coast

Post by sweatmark »

Boxer - let us know when you're gonna be in western Oregon. You're invited for beer & BBQ, and free gift from the gizmo/farkle grab bag.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Oh, man, that sounds great! wish I had the time for that. Good luck and please do keep us posted.

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

Good luck, Phil. That is going to be a ride to remember for sure! I hope all goes well for you and that you and that you have the time of your life!
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

As I prepare maps, routes, itineraries, gear, bike, etc. etc. it seems like time is collapsing. I had my last half day at work today...YAHOOO!...and I have to be back on July 26th. I still have to change the oil in the bike, make more calls for places to stay (I'm with the MTN, Motorcycle Travel Network), make sure all my camping gear is in working order, and...and..trying to remember what I probably have forgotten. I'm leaving Saturday morning for sure now.

Sweatmark!- I will be moving up the coast of Oregon and then inland...possibly toward the south of Portland...on the 17th of June. Are you anywhere near there? LOL PM me!...SOON! Otherwise call my cell # and leave a message after Saturday. 678...Five 77...Nine8 Nine5. Or text me an address and I'll see if my GPS can find it.

It is so hard to tell people about the excitement building up to a ride like this. And then once your under way, it's like reading a good book. You don't want to put it down, but at the same time you don't want it to end.

I better go sort some laundry!
Daryl_stamp
Lifer

Post by Daryl_stamp »

Awesome; you're going to have a great trip. G & I wish you the best.
Come through NY on your way home; it's not far from Georgia & the wine here is really good.
You're invited for dinner.

DLS
takemeaway
Lifer
Donating Member #: 765

Post by takemeaway »

=D> Have fun! Wanted to do the same thing for the last two years, but haven't been able to swing it. So I get to live vicariously through you. Be safe and enjoy!
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

just a suggestion, but the most recent useful addition to my travel pack is a 6' extension cord. Comes in very handy.
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Good luck, Phil. Sounds like a cool trip.
Aren't you a month early for the BMWMOA rally? Are you trying to get the best campsite (mine) :badgrin: ?
Rich
ADIOS!
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

This is a trip I've wanted to take for several years. I can't do it for the rally 'cause I wouldn't be able to get back here in time to go back to work/school. But I WILL be riding some of the same roads! I'm gonna stop in and see our very own Oregonian Beakster, Sweatmark. :lol:
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Phil, if you find yourself on i !0 and coming through the Crescent City, holler and I will take you for some oysters, fried or raw, while they last.

John
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

Have a great time, Phil.

I look forward to reading the blog. You probabaly aren't going to heading anywhere near me, but if you do, you are welcome here.

There will be a slide show eventually, right?
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

Well, I made it to Los Angeles! If you haven't been reading the Slablog, I have tried to post a few pics and give an update each day as I've moved along west. It took me 6 days and 5 nights to get here, camping 4 of those nights and a great CHEAP motel night in Plainview Texas. I got eaten alive by bugs back in Mississippi and Oklahoma, and am just now getting rid of the huge whelps and bites with the help of some Benadryl tablets, compliments of my nurse daughter.

I've been watching my rear tire! I had hoped it would last until I circle back down to Colorado Springs, CO. but it looks like I'll need at least the rear replaced either in northern California or Oregon. I called Hansen's in Medford, Oregon today to make sure they could do it if I stopped in next Thursday. They said they could, so that may be the place to do it. It looks like I'll be doing good to get another 800-1000 miles out of it. Cross your collective fingers for me.

Bike's running very well. I just can't say enough good things about the Don Weber seat that I paid big bucks for. Well worth the money! I've ridden 2237 miles since last Saturday morning...with many more to go.
I'll depart Tuesday morning for the next leg of my trip which will take me up the coast on US Hwys 101 and Cal. 1 and then Oregon US 101.

Don't forget to check the Slablog for photos etc.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Boxer - great adventure!

So what's your plan for California? You're riding up the coast, including CA1. Going all the way to the end in Leggett (the CA1 section north of Bay Area) ? Hoping you have time to take that section, then ride up to Fortuna for full tank of gas, then follow CA36 east, across the state, or at least to I-5 and up towards Oregon.

Oh, and please mind that rear tire! Here's what mine looked like on Memorial Day weekend after some shredding up the mountains on CA36. Was blessed to find a replacement tire on Saturday afternoon of that weekend in small NorCal town... my ride would have stopped cold if not for availability of replacement. And I really thought I had enough tread depth at start of the ride.

Regardless, as PM'd my business travels have me out of town M-W, and should be home Thursday. Vacation day on Friday. Will check in with you over next couple days for your possible stop at Chalet Sweatmark.
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

It looks like I may have another 800 miles on the Battle Wing. If I need to I'll stop in at BMW Santa Cruz in Watkinsville on Tuesday or Wednesday and get them to put one on for me.

If it'll last I'll take it to Medford to that dealer there. I spoke with them yesterday about it.

Weather here in L.A. is sort of cloudy but we're going out someplace today to do the tourist thing.

I'll keep you posted on my progress toward your place next week.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Boxer-

Update: I'm at home today, working in garage on Rockster and F800S projects most of today.

Mobile # and LAT/LONG via PM.
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

I had to buy a rear tire..a Michelin Anakee...when I went through Watsonville, CA at BMW Santa Cruz. It must have golden wire in it as much as it cost me to install it.

Now the front one also is starting to look "iffy" and I'm in Winnemucca, NV tonight. Will ride to Cedar City, Utah tomorrow.