Tire Partially Punctured?

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Tire Partially Punctured?

Post by Boxer »

I went out to the garage Sunday to check something and noticed a shiny little thing protruding from my rear tire. Its the F650GS with the Battle Wings for rubber. Theres quite a bit of tread left and these are dual sport tires. After inspecting what looked like a nail without the head, I marked the spot and pulled it out with pliers. It was a piece of wire and it had gone in about a half inch but sort of sideways through the rubber. No air leaked out when the metal came out and it has set for 24 hours with no leaking of air at all.

Question for tire experts: When the tire gets hot will it be more likely to exhibit a small leak (hole gets bigger), or will it tend to seal any small hole that may be there? I know the pressure inside the tire will increase with heat, I just don't know how close that piece of metal came to puncturing through and if there's a danger of it "becoming" a hole once it gets hot.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Tire Partially Punctured?

Post by CycleRob »

Boxer,

The answer appears in your own words:

"It was a piece of wire and it had gone in about a half inch but sort of sideways through the rubber. No air leaked out when the metal came out and it has set for 24 hours with no leaking of air at all".

If it went in sideways, that means it did not go thru the fabric layer . . . and more importantly the air stopping rubber layer bonded to the fabric layer on the inside. If it hasn't leaked yet it should be OK, especially since the jabbing wire end has been removed. Like the Aussies would say . . . No worries Mate!

On the other hand, do you carry a tire pluging kit and an air pump?

BTW, I plan on leaving my house about 9am Thursday for the Beakster Bash. We'll talk Wednesday evening.

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

On the other hand, do you carry a tire pluging kit and an air pump?
I do...and I dread having to use them. But stuff happens.
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

Well, I've ridden almost 1,000 miles since I pulled that piece of metal out, and I believe the tire may be losing air. I checked it before I left for the Bash and it had 42 lbs in it...After a couple of weeks and almost 1K miles, I checked it again yesterday and it had only 41 3/4 lbs. I think I might start worrying in a few days.
touchton
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by touchton »

I think I might start worrying in a few days.
Don't rush in to anything........
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

It's probably leaking 'cause you didn't win the BMW valve stem covers at the Bash!
Buckster '03R