New F800 ST transmission

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

dgates
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

New F800 ST transmission

Post by dgates »

I just picked up a new F800ST Friday. Took her to Oregon over the weekend for about 800 miles on the twisties break-in ride. One thing I am concerned about is that when shifting from 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th I hit "neutral" about 40-50% of the time. I pulled the clutch back in and up or down shift back into gear. Is this a break-in issue that will resolve over time or an adjustment that needs to be made? Has anyone else had this happen? It is going in for its first service Tuesday Morning.
touchton
Lifer

Re: New F800 ST transmission

Post by touchton »

I occasionally hit a false neutral between 5th and 6th, but I would say it's less than 10% of the time. I don't know if it's a transmission issue, or if it's something you'll adjust to. This transmission does shift very differently than my R1150R did. This one being much smoother.
dgates
Basic User

Post by dgates »

Well, good to hear this does happen and I probably don't have lemon.
I will definately bring it up tomorrow at the dealer if for no other reason as to have it documented in case this turns out to be a warranty issue.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

New F800 ST transmission

Post by CycleRob »

Most all new bikes shift a little stiffer when new. It's caused by the new internal shift mechanism parts operating with their necessary tight tolerances. The way that the shift forks shift gears is by sliding axially on their supporting shift fork shaft. The fork yoke portion at the other end of the shift fork that engages the rotating gear to be shifted is cantilevered from it's sliding mount point, creating a mild jamming action when you shift gears. The break-in procedure, ideally with a lot of shifting up&down, gradually hones in those sliding surfaces so the friction is noticeably reduced, shifting becomes much smoother and glitch free.

During "Running-in" as described on page 64 of the Owners Manual, it says:

Try to do most of your riding during this initial period on twisting, fairly hilly roads, avoiding high-speed main roads and highways if possible

In that statement, to me it implies more shifting than usual and moderate power loading. That's what you need to do . . . shift thru all the gears and do it often. Be sure to use a firm "flyswatting" action, where the end stop of the shifting action is always felt. NO WIMPY gentle SHIFTING!! Wimpy shifting will cause partial and/or repeatedly rejected gear dog engagement and eventually round off and damage their square leading edges. False neutrals on a new bike result from a new tight shifting mechanism operated by it's (new to the bike) operator that most likely is distracted by all the other "new things", relegating the shifting chore to the subconscious.

I had minor shifting resistance with my new bike and for the most part consciously, firmly, dealt with it. Maybe 2 or 3 false neutrals and mis-shifts the first few days. It became smooth and trouble free very quickly. About that "wimpy shifting", I frequently see riders of all ages selecting first gear from neutral with a careful slow motion swing of their shoe, thinking gentle is better. Wow, that method is really bad for constant mesh motorcycle transmissions! Only for synchromesh car/truck transmissions is it a good thing to shift gently. Motorcycles require that swift and firm flyswatting action to minimize gear dog damage.

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
dgates
Basic User

Post by dgates »

Thanks Rob.
That is exactly what I needed to know.
I am loving this bike!
dgates
Basic User

Post by dgates »

Can an improperly reinstalled oil dip stick cause poor shifting? I checked mine after the weekend and there were a couple of gouges in the plastic as if it was grinding on something and slightly bent. I showed it top the service writer at the dealership and he said "nothing to worry about, they all look like that". I remember hearing aclicking when I reinstalled before the weekend trip.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

I showed it to the service writer at the dealership and he said "nothing to worry about, they all look like that". [-(

Uhhh, no . . . . they don't. Mine, with just over 6,000 miles is straight and unblemished. That "something" that chewed on the dipstick is the clutch basket drive gear. Look down into the hole with a flashlight and you'll see it. I have seen pics of curved and severely gouged dipsticks. Somehow owners manage to insert the dipstick in at an incorrect angle, where it gets pushed out of position against the spinning gear teeth. This should not be happening because when it is out of position, it is hard to thread it home. Getting it perpendicular to the opening must have your full attention. Installing the dipstick should be totally resistance free, or it is wrong. [-X

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Installing the dipstick should be totally resistance free, or it is wrong.
That's what SHE said.